Cruise Camera: Olympus TG-830 - good

rhkennerly

the question comes up here all the time. we should start a file or directory or something.

Just bought an Olympus Stylus TG-830 from B&H to replace my wife's Stylus 1000 (has all the controls in the same place and same markings, which is important to my wife, so no retraining issues).

It's being discontinued so prices are low, plus I had some credits to burn at B&H.

All the usual pix/movie/flash and automatic stuff you'd expect. Plus it's waterproof (33 feet) and "ruggedized" (drops from 7 feet), shoots pix and movies underwater. Good to 14 degrees F, which isn't on my travel radar.

Built in GPS that will tag your pix EXIF file with both GPS date & time, as well as LAT/Long AND also the country, city/state in plain text. Has a database of landmarks, and it will add "Washington Monument" to EXIF info.

Will also do GPS tracking and will update tracks even if the camera is off, so it's good for tours and shore excursions with a lot of stops. Overlays on a map.

I carry my Canon SLR, but this is a great little pocket camera for closeout price. It's going to spend a lot of time in my pocket around town.

$200 with charger and battery. DVD Disc of software. Needed an SD card.

Seemed like a really good package for cruisers who get home and wonder what that pix was taken and what it is and why did we take it? This camera will answer 2 out of 3 for you.