Transportation options from S167 STADSGARDEN in Stockholm

DLUT

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I have seen a lot of outdated and potentially conflicting information so please help if you can, especially if you have traveled to Stockholm recently.

We're docking at S167 Stadsgarden in Stockholm. We're wanting to go from the port directly on the express boat to the Vasa museum. We're contemplating the Stockholm Card or the public transportation card.

Questions:

1) Can you pick up the Stockholm card at the visitor center right at S167? How about the transportation card?

2) Does the Stockholm card give you access to the HOHO boats from Stadsgarden as well? If so, which company?

3) Do both HOHO boat companies begin their routes once the ships dock even though their websites have later start times? From a recent post from someone who contacted both companies, Stromma does not, but Red Sightseeing does.

4) Can you purchase a one way trip on the HOHO boat over to the VASA from Stadsgarden? If so, how much does it cost? The same post mentioned above said 60 SEK for a one way on Red Sightseeing.

5) If not using the HOHO boat to Vasa, should you just catch the bus to Slussen and catch the public ferry or tram over to Vasa?

I would appreciate any help you can provide or any recommendations that you have. Thanks in advance!

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I have seen a lot of outdated and potentially conflicting information so please help if you can, especially if you have traveled to Stockholm recently.

We're docking at S167 Stadsgarden in Stockholm. We're wanting to go from the port directly on the express boat to the Vasa museum. We're contemplating the Stockholm Card or the public transportation card.

Questions:

1a) Can you pick up the Stockholm card at the visitor center right at S167? 1b) How about the transportation card?

2) Does the Stockholm card give you access to the HOHO boats from Stadsgarden as well? If so, which company?

3) Do both HOHO boat companies begin their routes once the ships dock even though their websites have later start times? From a recent post from someone who contacted both companies, Stromma does not, but Red Sightseeing does.

4) Can you purchase a one way trip on the HOHO boat over to the VASA from Stadsgarden? If so, how much does it cost? The same post mentioned above said 60 SEK for a one way on Red Sightseeing.

5) If not using the HOHO boat to Vasa, should you just catch the bus to Slussen and catch the public ferry or tram over to Vasa?

I would appreciate any help you can provide or any recommendations that you have. Thanks in advance!

1a. I don't think so, I think you need to go to the main tourist office at Sergelstorg.

1b. I am not sure but I would think so since they are an official sales point for bus tickets/cards.

2. No, HOHO services are not part of the public transport.

3. You found the answer yourself.

4. Yes. I don't have any price info for Strömma but I would guess a similar cost as Red Sightseeing.

5. Bus to Slussen and then either harbour ferry (Djurgårdsfärjan) to Allmänna Gränd or bus to Vasa (Djurgårdsbron).

There are no trams from Slussen, the trams departs from Hamngatan which is a 1.5km walk from Slussen.

1a. I don't think so, I think you need to go to the main tourist office at Sergelstorg.

1b. I am not sure but I would think so since they are an official sales point for bus tickets/cards.

2. No, HOHO services are not part of the public transport.

3. You found the answer yourself.

4. Yes. I don't have any price info for Strömma but I would guess a similar cost as Red Sightseeing.

5. Bus to Slussen and then either harbour ferry (Djurgårdsfärjan) to Allmänna Gränd or bus to Vasa (Djurgårdsbron).

There are no trams from Slussen, the trams departs from Hamngatan which is a 1.5km walk from Slussen.

Thanks so much for your response. I was hoping someone that recently did the trip would be able to answer my questions since I am still receiving conflicting information because I have read both yes and no answers to my questions all over CC, Trip Advisor, Viator, etc. After double and triple checking with the individuals at the Stockholm Visitors Board, here are their responses:

1) "There will be no problem for you to pick up your pre- ordered Stockholm Cards at the harbour when you arrive. I am very sorry for the confusion on the website and I will make sure that we add the information about the ports as well for our future visitors. We do not have staff working at the harbours in Stockholm during the winter season, that might be why other customers have claimed that they couldn’t pick up the cards at the dock. However; you are arriving in the middle of the summer season and will therefore meet staff from our Visitors center right outside your ship who can assist you with your voucher. Again I am terribly sorry about the lack of information on our website." As an added note, I double checked with them because their website does not say that you can pick up the cards at the dock, and their terms and conditions that you must agree to when purchasing online also do not say that you can pick them up at the port.

2) "The Stockholm card is valid on the Hop on Hop off boat from Stadsgården. See http://www.stromma.se/en/Stockholm/Sightseeing/Sightseeing-by-boat/hop-on-hop-off-boat/ for more information."

3) "Normally the Hop on Hop off boats and buses are waiting to take you around the city by your ship when you arrive. However; it is important to remember that even if the boats and buses have started to run that does not mean that the museums and attractions will be open at 8 AM! Most places open at 10.00 AM which is why the tours normally would start at that time." This response makes sense or they will be losing customers to the competitor who is. This is the one I am still wondering about because other CC members have said they contacted Stromma, and they said they would not be operating until 10:00. Has anyone out there used the Stromma HOHO boat earlier than 10:00?

4) They didn't respond to this question.

5) "For public transportation to Vasa. Take bus 53 from Stadsgården to Slussen. Then the metro 2 stop to T-centralen (centralstation) exit Sergels Torg. From sergels Torg the tram no. 7 to Vasa. The bus take 2 minutes. The metro 3 minutes and the tram 8 minute. If you buy a 24 hour card (or 72 hour) get off at Slussen and take the ferry Djurgårdslinjen to the island Djurgården. Take 10 minutes. Then you see the Vasamuseum on your left hand side. Just 5-6 minutes walk. They give you information at the tourist office at Stadsgården."

I hope this info helps.

Thanks so much for your response. I was hoping someone that recently did the trip would be able to answer my questions since I am still receiving conflicting information because I have read both yes and no answers to my questions all over CC, Trip Advisor, Viator, etc. After double and triple checking with the individuals at the Stockholm Visitors Board, here are their responses:

1) "There will be no problem for you to pick up your pre- ordered Stockholm Cards at the harbour when you arrive. I am very sorry for the confusion on the website and I will make sure that we add the information about the ports as well for our future visitors. We do not have staff working at the harbours in Stockholm during the winter season, that might be why other customers have claimed that they couldn’t pick up the cards at the dock. However; you are arriving in the middle of the summer season and will therefore meet staff from our Visitors center right outside your ship who can assist you with your voucher. Again I am terribly sorry about the lack of information on our website." As an added note, I double checked with them because their website does not say that you can pick up the cards at the dock, and their terms and conditions that you must agree to when purchasing online also do not say that you can pick them up at the port.

2) "The Stockholm card is valid on the Hop on Hop off boat from Stadsgården. See http://www.stromma.se/en/Stockholm/Sightseeing/Sightseeing-by-boat/hop-on-hop-off-boat/ for more information."

3) "Normally the Hop on Hop off boats and buses are waiting to take you around the city by your ship when you arrive. However; it is important to remember that even if the boats and buses have started to run that does not mean that the museums and attractions will be open at 8 AM! Most places open at 10.00 AM which is why the tours normally would start at that time." This response makes sense or they will be losing customers to the competitor who is. This is the one I am still wondering about because other CC members have said they contacted Stromma, and they said they would not be operating until 10:00. Has anyone out there used the Stromma HOHO boat earlier than 10:00?

4) They didn't respond to this question.

5) "For public transportation to Vasa. Take bus 53 from Stadsgården to Slussen. Then the metro 2 stop to T-centralen (centralstation) exit Sergels Torg. From sergels Torg the tram no. 7 to Vasa. The bus take 2 minutes. The metro 3 minutes and the tram 8 minute. If you buy a 24 hour card (or 72 hour) get off at Slussen and take the ferry Djurgårdslinjen to the island Djurgården. Take 10 minutes. Then you see the Vasamuseum on your left hand side. Just 5-6 minutes walk. They give you information at the tourist office at Stadsgården."

I hope this info helps.

as for nr2, according to Stockholm card website, the Stockholm card is only valid for two different boat sightseeing tours;

Djurgården runt (Royal canal tour) and Kungsholmen runt (historic canal tour). These are not HoHo lines but non-stop tours.

http://www.visitstockholm.com/en/stockholmcard/

as for nr5, I'd say their suggestion about bus/subway/tram is unnecessarily complicated.

Take any bus that stop at Londonviadukten to slussen, then either Djurgårdsfärjan to Allmänna Gränd or bus #76 to Djurgårdsbron

and then walk a few hundred meters from either to Vasa.

as for nr2, according to Stockholm card website, the Stockholm card is only valid for two different boat sightseeing tours;

Djurgården runt (Royal canal tour) and Kungsholmen runt (historic canal tour). These are not HoHo lines but non-stop tours.

http://www.visitstockholm.com/en/stockholmcard/

That is exactly why I have stayed so confused! Their website says one thing, but posts I have read say no HOHO included and then others say yes HOHO included. I was hoping someone who actually did the trip recently could confirm one way or the other since you never know if a post you are reading contains outdated information.

Thanks again for the simplified public transportation info. We hope to take the HOHO boat to Vasa with the Stockholm Card if their info is accurate and then public transportation to our next stop whatever it may be. I will keep my fingers crossed.

What confuses me is that there seem to be 2 different passes: the Stockholm Pass (which is advertised on the Destination Stockholm website that is referred to on http://www.visitstockholm.com) and the Stockholm Card (which is what I purchased, which is also referred to on visitstockholm.com.) The website shows them as looking different and with different names, so I THINK they are different cards. Maybe not; maybe one is just showing an outdated photo!

Could the fact that there are different cards be the source of the confusion about where to pick them up and whether the HOHO boats are part of them?

I would love it if I could pick up my Stockholm Card just off the ship rather than having to pay for transport into the center of town to pick it up.

What confuses me is that there seem to be 2 different passes: the Stockholm Pass (which is advertised on the Destination Stockholm website that is referred to on http://www.visitstockholm.com) and the Stockholm Card (which is what I purchased, which is also referred to on visitstockholm.com.) The website shows them as looking different and with different names, so I THINK they are different cards. Maybe not; maybe one is just showing an outdated photo!

Could the fact that there are different cards be the source of the confusion about where to pick them up and whether the HOHO boats are part of them?

I would love it if I could pick up my Stockholm Card just off the ship rather than having to pay for transport into the center of town to pick it up.

The Stockholm Pass that you are referring to is the public transportation pass whereas the Stockholm Card gets you public transportation, except for the ferry from Slussen to Djurgarden (Vasa Museum area), as well as museum entrance fees and other discounts. According to the Stockholm Visitors Board, the Stockholm Card also gets you use of the HOHO boat and both the SL transportation pass and the Stockholm Card can be picked up at the port during the summer hours.

DLUT, I would encourage you to email both Strömma and Red Sightseeing and ask about the Stockholm card.

http://www.stromma.se/sv/TopTopMenu/Kundservice/

http://www.stockholminfo.com/kontakt/

A few years ago I did a HoHo bus tour in Stockholm, despite that I had a Stockholm card I had to pay for the bus tour, although I got a small discount due to the card.

Edited by Desdichado62

DLUT, I would encourage you to email both Strömma and Red Sightseeing and ask about the Stockholm card.

http://www.stromma.se/sv/TopTopMenu/Kundservice/

http://www.stockholminfo.com/kontakt/

A few years ago I did a HoHo bus tour in Stockholm, despite that I had a Stockholm card I had to pay for the bus tour, although I got a small discount due to the card.

The Visitor Board's response to me was only that the Stromma HOHO boat was included and not the bus, but I will definitely e-mail the two companies as well to see if I get any different responses than the previous posts. I will keep you updated. Thanks.

What a frustrating process this has been to get accurate information! According to an e-mail from Stromma, the HOHO boat is not included with the Stockholm Card despite what the Visitor's Board rep stated in his e-mail.

I have another route alternative.

Go with bus #53 from Londonviadukten to Sergels torg where you change to tram #7.

Go with tram #7 to Nordiska Museet stop and walk from there (about 400m).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3293412,18.095507/59.3288171,18.092475/@59.329551,18.0949188,516m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m4!4m3!1m0!1m0!3e2

http://sl.se/#/Travel/SearchTravelById/Londonviadukten%20%28Stockholm%29/Nordiska%20museet_Vasamuseet%20%28Stockholm%29/1461/1408/2014-06-10%252008_00/depart/sv/null/Sergels%20torg%20%28Stockholm%29/8,4,/null/null/null/1/null/false/null/1

I have also sent Stockholm tourist info an email correcting them.

I am 99.9% sure that the HoHo boats are NOT included in the Stockholm card.