Belize Ruins vs Costa Maya/Mahahual Beach--or vice versa?

beckym

For those who've been to Costa Maya and Belize: feedback, please, on which place is best for beautiuful beach, vs which best for ruins. We've thought we'd do David And Ian's tour from Costa Maya (Chacchoben Ruins) but that leaves us with beach day (Caye Caulker) and I've read the beach and wading/swimming at Mahaual (near Costa Maya) is nicer than that on Caye Caulker (Belize). So now wondering if should see Mayan ruins (Altun Ha) in Belize and save the beach village day for Mahaual.

IF you've been on the Chacchoben tour, how much time did you have, if any, to spend at beach where they drop you off in Mahaual, prior to getting taxi back to pier?

Thanks for any and every bit of advice, CCers.

Becky

Not sure I have all the information to help you, but I'll try. I've been to the ruins near Majahual but haven't been to Altun Ha. The ruins were very enjoyable and we had all the time we wanted there because we had made our own tour arrangements. We had an English-speaking guide at the ruins who was excellent. Our driver from the port to the ruins spoke no English, although we had been promised that he did. The ride from the port to the ruins is a little over an hour on a very rough road that is supposed to be a highway someday. The port area is just that: a very large dock, some shops and bar/restaurants and a small beach area, not very good for swimming. The village of Majahual is nearby, and I heard that the beach and swimming are better there. The port area is okay for kicking back and relaxing, but that's about it. We enjoyed it as a break from three straight days of excursions and other activities, but it's not going to be the highlight of your cruise.

Belize offers much better beaches and other beach-type activities, like snorkeling. I don't know how far Altun Ha is from Belize City, but that would be important to know so that you can determine how much time you'll get to spend at the ruins as opposed to getting there and getting back.

Thanks for sharing your information. It does help, because from what you say, Belize is a good place to spend some beach and snorkeling itme. So you've helped confirm our plan to go to Caye Caulker in Belize.

We can do the Chacchoben ruins tour from Costa Maya pier. The tour guide said we'll be back in Mahahual village by 1 pm. So there's enough time to see a bit of that beach and village, before return to ship.

Thanks again!!

Becky

I am doing the ruins in Belize, and the beach in Costa Maya

from all accounts the ruins are bigger at Altun Ha...

plus Belize is a place where you apparently can not easily jump in a cab and go to a safe and pretty beach....you must tender from the boat, fairly long tender ride to a caye...

there are mixed reviews here about the beach days in Belize, you pretty much need to book these thru your ship

from all accounts Belize is not a real safe and easy port to just jump out and get a cab or anything....

on the other hand the beach area in Costa Maya seems great...you can get an all inclusive day cheaply at Tequila Beach or Pez Quatro, or have a la carte at the Cat's meow which gets really good reviews and is owned by a Canadian woman.

the food seems MUCH better and cheaper in Costa Maya, the "beach party" tours in belize mostly don't include food and the small snack bar on the beach there gets pretty dismal reviews

The other poster said about the Pier in Costa Maya, which does seem pretty much of a "mall" experience, but you can easily leave there and get the $3 "cab" to beach, and a $2 regular cab back...and walk around and shop

Plus massages.....Costa Maya has shopping, really reasonable (*ie cheap LOL) massages on beach, nice food, and more shopping

Belize has more unspoiled beaches...but not much else to do on that beach you are kind of stuck there from what I have read

Get more opinions....from what I have read most people say that Belize is a place to def book a tour, do something,

and Costa Maya is an easy place to "wing it " and kick back

hth

Archived