Is this A Good Pair of Binoculars For The Price?

CALMOM

I found a pair of binoculars on the internet, just wondering if anyone knows if this will do for my upcoming Alaska Cruise. I have read so much on this board regarding binoculars (perhaps too much) and I think this is a pretty decendent set for the price:

Steiner 7x50 Marine Binoculars $270

The new 7x50 Marine Steiner features fully multi-coated optics for excellent low light performance with a peak light transmission of over 90%. Black rubber armoring provides a sure grip even when wet. Long 22mm eye relief for full field of view with eyeglass or sunglasses. Waterproof and shockproof. Nitrogen pressurized. Guaranteed to outperform any other binocular in this price category! Features a 10-year limited warranty.

• 7x50: 575
  • Field of view: 354 ft. @ 1,000 yards
  • Eye relief: 22mm
  • Fully multi-coated optics
  • Peak light transmission over 90%
  • Black rubber sure grip
  • Long 22mm eye relief
  • Waterproof/shockproof
  • Nitrogen pressurized
  • Weight: 37 oz.
  • 10-year limited warranty

Thank you in advance:)

I could talk all day about binoculars...

That is a good price. Most places I saw on my quick search were $299.

Those 7x50's should give you a nice bright image, and they are waterproof (very important).

The big thing I don't like is the weight. At 37oz they are heavier than many others of the same size and that's a lot of weight if you want to take them on a shore excursion where you will be wearing them for several hours. The weight will not be an issue if you will be mostly using them on the ship. One upside of the heavy weight is that it will help dampen out some hand shake to give an image that is slightly more stable.

I really notice the difference between my 20oz 8x32's and 23oz 10x42's. I never thought the extra 3 ounces would be so noticeable.

Those 7x50's should give you a nice bright image, and they are waterproof (very important).

The big thing I don't like is the weight. At 37oz they are heavier than many others of the same size and that's a lot of weight if you want to take them on a shore excursion where you will be wearing them for several hours. The weight will not be an issue if you will be mostly using them on the ship. One upside of the heavy weight is that it will help dampen out some hand shake to give an image that is slightly more stable.

I really notice the difference between my 20oz 8x32's and 23oz 10x42's. I never thought the extra 3 ounces would be so noticeable.

Steiner makes excellent optics. During the first gulf war, they outfitted a lot of the US troops there with their optics(binoculars, riflescopes). The price seems to be very good for a pair from Steiner. I do agree with pilotdane above, you should consider the weight. 37oz is quite heavy, even by the standard of Porro prism binoculars. But that's how Steiner makes their optics so rock solid! Another thing I want to point out is this model use individual focus (like many other high end marine binoculars). That means you have to adjust both eyepiece to focus at the same time. This is cumbersome comparing to center-focus w/ diopter if you want to track some fast moving objects. But if you just want to view slow moving object at far distance, it should not be an issue after a short time of experimenting. Even though I haven't seen this pair in person, I like its spec of FOV 345ft/1000yards for a 7x50. Typically for a 7x magnification power, some companies will make the FOV really wide (sometimes to 420ft). But Steiner seems to be making a good compromise to achieve better optical performance by limiting the FOV (which is still a very decent).

Steiner makes excellent optics. During the first gulf war, they outfitted a lot of the US troops there with their optics(binoculars, riflescopes). The price seems to be very good for a pair from Steiner. I do agree with pilotdane above, you should consider the weight. 37oz is quite heavy, even by the standard of Porro prism binoculars. But that's how Steiner makes their optics so rock solid! Another thing I want to point out is this model use individual focus (like many other high end marine binoculars). That means you have to adjust both eyepiece to focus at the same time. This is cumbersome comparing to center-focus w/ diopter if you want to track some fast moving objects. But if you just want to view slow moving object at far distance, it should not be an issue after a short time of experimenting. Even though I haven't seen this pair in person, I like its spec of FOV 345ft/1000yards for a 7x50. Typically for a 7x magnification power, some companies will make the FOV really wide (sometimes to 420ft). But Steiner seems to be making a good compromise to achieve better optical performance by limiting the FOV (which is still a very decent).

Hi Dave, I was hoping you would respond to my question, I really respect your opinion. I saw this on Cost_o.com web site and they usually have pretty good prices. I am concern with the weight since I am only 5'2", 120 lbs. and I do have some neck problems but I really wanted a good pair. My main use would be to use while on the ship and of course on the excursions to hopefully see eagles. Thank you for pointing out that there is no center focus and your right it might be a little difficult especially if I am tracking a moving object. I am just trying to find a descent pair for that price range as I probably will only use them on cruises. Can you suggest perhaps sonething that would be comparable with center focus and maybe a little less weight in my price range? The weight would probaly be the least of my priorities than the strength and center focus. Thank you so much Dave, you have been very helpful.

Thank you, your right I wouldn't think 3 oz would make that much of a difference.

Please note! ZenRay Summit binoculars were being pushed on this forum by several people for the ebay seller. I filled a complaint in the sellers state and they have quit selling on Ebay as a result no one bought them for two months now. Beware of the seller changing names now!

Your right, ZenRay has been pushed alot on this board but I do appreciate all of the advise I have received on the board. I would prefer not purchasing this type of item from EBay but it does allow some people to have the opportunity to get some really good deals (sometimes not as much retail markup), that could maybe not be able to afford it. Common sense needs to be used whether purchasing from EBay or any online retailer (know who your are buying from). Thanks for your advise.

I also found the following pair online, anyone know about this brand or type?

ALPEN PEX 8.5 X 50 WATERPROOF BINOCULARS $321

Magnification: 8.5X

Objective Lens Diameter: 50mm

Focus System: Center

Prism Type: Roof

F.O.V. (ft @ 1000 yds): 290

Exit Pupil: 5.9mm

Eye Relief: 20mm

Lens Coating: Fully Multi-coated

Net Weight (oz.): 28

Type of Neckstrap: Extra Wide

Tripod Adaptable: No

Close Focus: 16 Feet

Prism Material: BAK4

Waterproof / fogproof: Yes

Type of Case: Nylon

Features of Alpen 8.5 x 50mm Apex Binoculars:

BAK4 glass for clear, bright, high resolution images

Fully multi-coated for maximum brightness

PXA phase coating for superior resolution and color fidelity

HR metallic prism coating for enhanced light transmission and brightness

Waterproof, sealed and nitrogen filled

Pull up, twist lock eyecups

Lightweight, ergonomic styling, roof prism design

Rubber armoring for comfort, protection and durability

ALPEN's lifetime warranty

Package Contents:

Alpen Apex 8.5X50 Waterproof, Long Eye Relief, Bak4, PXA coating, Roof Binocular 496

Deluxe travel case and wide comfortable neck strap

Soft rubber rain guard

Hi Dave, I was hoping you would respond to my question, I really respect your opinion. I saw this on Cost_o.com web site and they usually have pretty good prices. I am concern with the weight since I am only 5'2", 120 lbs. and I do have some neck problems but I really wanted a good pair. My main use would be to use while on the ship and of course on the excursions to hopefully see eagles. Thank you for pointing out that there is no center focus and your right it might be a little difficult especially if I am tracking a moving object. I am just trying to find a descent pair for that price range as I probably will only use them on cruises. Can you suggest perhaps sonething that would be comparable with center focus and maybe a little less weight in my price range? The weight would probaly be the least of my priorities than the strength and center focus. Thank you so much Dave, you have been very helpful.

Calcom, thanks for your kind word. Yes, 37oz will definitely take a toll on your neck and hand if you use it for an extended period of time. Since you have a budget for around $300, you should give Nikon Monarch 10x42 a try (roof prism). It weighs only 22-23oz. My DW has a pair and she likes it a lot. Another good candidate will be Leupold Olympic 8x42.

One more pair I am considering (I think I am driving myself crazy:eek: )

BUSHNELL LEGEND 8X42 ROOF PRISM $248

Power x Obj 8x42

Size Class Standard

Focus System Center

Prism System Roof

Lens Coating FMC

FOV ft. @ 1000 yds/ m @ 1000m 330/110

Close Focus ft/m 6/1.8

Exit Pupil 5.25mm

Eye Relief 18

Eyecups Twist Up

Weight oz/g 24.5/695

Water/Fog Proof Yes

Adapt to Tripod Yes

Features of Bushnell Legend 8 x 42mm Roof Prism Binoculars 13-4208:

• PC-3 phase-coated BaK-4 roof prisms
  • Fully multi-coated optics allow maximum light transmission for optimum brightness
  • Heavy-duty, 100% waterproof / fogproof construction
  • Rainguard, water-repellent lens coating
  • Long eye relief
  • Twist-up eyecups allow quick adjustment for optimum eye relief
  • Large center focus knob for precise focusing – even when wearing gloves
  • Trim, ergonomic shape for easy, all-day use
  • Textured, non-glare, non-slip rubber armor absorbs shock
  • Knurled diopter adjustment for precise and reliable adjustments

I'm an outdoor lover and swear by my Nikons. I have a pair of 7x 36s and now just bought a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB Binoculars 8x42 which are WATERPROOF & FOGPROOF! I can't wait to take them to AK in 2 weeks! I have poor eyesight and need all the LIGHT I can get and my Nikon's haven't let me down. (the 8x42s weigh 22 oz.) (I got mine from Cape May Bird Observatory for less than $300.) Consumersearch.com has ranked them the "best binoculars overall". http://www.consumersearch.com/www/sports_and_leisure/binoculars/index.html?source=adwords&gclid=CLKUhO2h2IwCFSgRGgod2AbZKw

"Reviews say the full-sized Nikon Monarch 8x42 binoculars are the best choice for most users. The Nikon's optics are nearly as good as those of luxury binoculars like the Zeiss Victory, though small details like lens caps and eyecups are less convenient. With 19.6mm of eye relief, the Nikon Monarch binoculars are comfortable for eyeglass wearers. Its 330-foot field of view and 8.2-foot minimum focus, while inferior to those of the Zeiss, are still very good. The Nikon binoculars weigh 21.3 ounces, and are waterproof and fogproof. The 25-year warranty is non-transferable, but it includes lifetime "no-fault" repairs for a flat $10 fee."

If I could encourage you to do one thing, that is go to a store and try them out - don't buy them untried from the internet. I tried the Nikon's, a pair of Stokes Vortex 8x42 birder binos, and Celestron Outland LX's 8x42. The two other pair in the same price range and couldn't believe how others "felt" in my hands and how they "felt" up to my eyes compared to the Nikon's. If the Nikon's didn't have the "feel" I was looking for I would have considered another brand.

Read this review, too: http://www.binoculars.org/birding/Reviews/Index.html

I also found the following pair online, anyone know about this brand or type?

ALPEN PEX 8.5 X 50 WATERPROOF BINOCULARS $321

Magnification: 8.5X

Objective Lens Diameter: 50mm

Focus System: Center

Prism Type: Roof

F.O.V. (ft @ 1000 yds): 290

Exit Pupil: 5.9mm

Eye Relief: 20mm

Lens Coating: Fully Multi-coated

Net Weight (oz.): 28

Type of Neckstrap: Extra Wide

Tripod Adaptable: No

Close Focus: 16 Feet

Prism Material: BAK4

Waterproof / fogproof: Yes

Type of Case: Nylon

Features of Alpen 8.5 x 50mm Apex Binoculars:

BAK4 glass for clear, bright, high resolution images

Fully multi-coated for maximum brightness

PXA phase coating for superior resolution and color fidelity

HR metallic prism coating for enhanced light transmission and brightness

Waterproof, sealed and nitrogen filled

Pull up, twist lock eyecups

Lightweight, ergonomic styling, roof prism design

Rubber armoring for comfort, protection and durability

ALPEN's lifetime warranty

Package Contents:

Alpen Apex 8.5X50 Waterproof, Long Eye Relief, Bak4, PXA coating, Roof Binocular 496

Deluxe travel case and wide comfortable neck strap

Soft rubber rain guard

I don't have experience with this model and cannot speak too much for it. But it is weird to me that the close focus for this model is a meager 16ft, while its 8x42 model is 8ft. (maybe their design is completely different) Not sure what you plan to do with binoculars after cruise, but I often found an urge for more close focus while I am out watching bird. But it might not be important to you.

I notice you are mainly checking 50mm lens, is that one of your criteria?

Make and Model--Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 (reviewed summer, 2005)

Overall impression: One of Laura's picks. Wonderful little glasses. These are wonderfully small for such bright 42mm glasses--I'd DEFINITELY look at these if you're looking for something very compact while an effective birding glass.

* Weight--21 oz.

* Close focus 8.2 feet

* Number of turns of focus wheel from near to far* 5

* Depth of field--very good

* Field of view 314 feet at 1000 yards

* Brightness for owling--very good

* Clarity--excellent

* Size in hands--excellent

* Overall feel--very nice. Compact, with just enough heft to feel substantial.

* Eye relief 15.5--plenty for my eyeglasses

* Eyecups--Rotate in and out.

* Weather resistance--Fully waterproof and fogproof

* Miscellaneous Objective lens covers come completely off. Optical lens cover goes on easily with one hand. Case is a little padded, no pocket for cleaning supplies. Neck strap is leather and cloth--not very padded but nice and wide for the weight of the binoculars. Black roof prisms. They look very attractive. In Winter, 2005, they were ranked #8 in the "Mid Price " category by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

I don't have experience with this model and cannot speak too much for it. But it is weird to me that the close focus for this model is a meager 16ft, while its 8x42 model is 8ft. (maybe their design is completely different) Not sure what you plan to do with binoculars after cruise, but I often found an urge for more close focus while I am out watching bird. But it might not be important to you.

I notice you are mainly checking 50mm lens, is that one of your criteria?

I will really only use them when we are go on cruises other than few baseball or football games, so no they will not get a whole lot of use. No, 50 is not a set criteria I just thought it would given me a better image. Maybe bigger & better is no necessarily better:rolleyes: . I think I will check on your advise the Nikon Monarch 10 x 42 but I remember you saying on previous postings that 10's are sometimes no hard to handle with shaking and given on all of your posting I kind of understood that 7's or 8's might be easier to handle. Have I just confused myself? Thanks Dave

* Miscellaneous Objective lens covers come completely off. Optical lens cover goes on easily with one hand. Case is a little padded, no pocket for cleaning supplies. Neck strap is leather and cloth--not very padded but nice and wide for the weight of the binoculars. Black roof prisms

Actually, my DW's Nikon Monarch 10x42 ATB comes with tethered object lens caps. That's one of the feature she likes since she never had to worry about losing the caps.

BTW, CALMOM, the BUSHNELL legend is one of my favorite too! You have to make sure you get their 2007 version, which is about 24 oz in weight. Some stores still carry their older Legend model (roofprism), which is at least 5 oz heavier and much bulkier..

Overall impression: One of Laura's picks. Wonderful little glasses. These are wonderfully small for such bright 42mm glasses--I'd DEFINITELY look at these if you're looking for something very compact while an effective birding glass.

* Weight--21 oz.

* Close focus 8.2 feet

* Number of turns of focus wheel from near to far* 5

* Depth of field--very good

* Field of view 314 feet at 1000 yards

* Brightness for owling--very good

* Clarity--excellent

* Size in hands--excellent

* Overall feel--very nice. Compact, with just enough heft to feel substantial.

* Eye relief 15.5--plenty for my eyeglasses

* Eyecups--Rotate in and out.

* Weather resistance--Fully waterproof and fogproof

* Miscellaneous Objective lens covers come completely off. Optical lens cover goes on easily with one hand. Case is a little padded, no pocket for cleaning supplies. Neck strap is leather and cloth--not very padded but nice and wide for the weight of the binoculars. Black roof prisms. They look very attractive. In Winter, 2005, they were ranked #8 in the "Mid Price " category by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

Thank you, I am going to take your advise and check them out in person. It seems like this will work for me. I am concern with it being 10 that it might be too shakey, have you found this to be true? thank you again, I really appreciate all of this good advise. I set sail on 9/3 for Alaska and can hardly wait.

I will really only use them when we are go on cruises other than few baseball or football games, so no they will not get a whole lot of use. No, 50 is not a set criteria I just thought it would given me a better image. Maybe bigger & better is no necessarily better:rolleyes: . I think I will check on your advise the Nikon Monarch 10 x 42 but I remember you saying on previous postings that 10's are sometimes no hard to handle with shaking and given on all of your posting I kind of understood that 7's or 8's might be easier to handle. Have I just confused myself? Thanks Dave

Calmom, yes, you will experience more shaking with 10x, comparing to 8x. But it is managerable for most people. For Alaska trip, yes, 10x will be the power of choice given the distance of objects. BTW, you are not confusing yourself. :) Buying an optics is all about compromise and sometimes, the decision is hard to make. Unfortunatelyt, there is no such a universal binocular that can fit all situations. That's why many outdoorer have more than 2 or 3 pairs of binoculars.

I, in general, prefer 8x for bird watching because 8x has better optics performance, better low light performance, wider FOV. It makes it easier to ID the bird, especially for beginners . In addition, we normally watch birds at reasonable distance, say 100 yards top.. So, 10x will not gain us too much vs 8x. But once you train your eyes with good pair of 10x binoculars and decide to let go some of the intrinic benefits of 8x, you will enjoy the extra power brought in by the 10x format (and that is where I am right now. :)) . Anyway, I will stop rambling to confuse more people. :)

CALMOM - If there is a Cabela's near you, they carry most of the glasses that have been mentioned here. In light of the other uses you plan to put these to, you might also consider some of the lightweight alternatives like the Nikon Travel V ($90). While not as optically good, they are light, sharp and great to throw in your purse or around your neck for a trip to the zoo, theater or on a hike.

Calmom, yes, you will experience more shaking with 10x, comparing to 8x. But it is managerable for most people. For Alaska trip, yes, 10x will be the power of choice given the distance of objects. BTW, you are not confusing yourself. :) Buying an optics is all about compromise and sometimes, the decision is hard to make. Unfortunatelyt, there is no such a universal binocular that can fit all situations. That's why many outdoorer have more than 2 or 3 pairs of binoculars.

I, in general, prefer 8x for bird watching because 8x has better optics performance, better low light performance, wider FOV. It makes it easier to ID the bird, especially for beginners . In addition, we normally watch birds at reasonable distance, say 100 yards top.. So, 10x will not gain us too much vs 8x. But once you train your eyes with good pair of 10x binoculars and decide to let go some of the intrinic benefits of 8x, you will enjoy the extra power brought in by the 10x format (and that is where I am right now. :)) . Anyway, I will stop rambling to confuse more people. :)

Thanks Dave, I will let you know what I decided on but I think the Nikon Monarch 10x42 will be the beter choice. Thank you, Thank you again for all of your wonderful advise. My DH has a pair of Bushnell 7x30 for us to take as a back up. I am just so excited about going to Alaska and seeing all of the fabulous wildlife and marine animals.I am a hugh scrapbookerand therefore take usually 1,000 pictures minimum on each cruise. I considered digital binoculars that could also take pictures but I will just stick with my 8MP Olympus digital camera. I don't think I should mix the two. I will also let you you when I return from my cruise how the binoculars did. Thanks again.

I think 20+ years ago a 50mm objective was the norm. With modern glass and high tech. coatings you can get just an image just as bright with a 42mm objective which seems to have become the new "standard". The big benefit is the the binolulars are smaller and lighter.

If you do not have a pair of 8x and 10x to try next to each other you might not notice the difference in magnification. The image from my nice 8x32's seems larger and brighter than my old cheapo 10x50's. I do tend to get annoyed with my 10x binos if I've had a few cups of coffee. I can comfortably use my 8x while standing but when using my 10x I like to brace against something to help steady my hands & binos.

You have a hundred binos to choose from, so have fun... Regarding a couple that have been mentioned so far: The Nikon Monarch 10x42 has 15.5mm of eye releif which is a bit short if you want to use them with glasses. The Alpine Apex 8x42's have 20mm which is better for use with glasses. Both are much lighter than the Steiners you first mentioned.

Bringing along your 7x30 compact binoculars is a great idea. I use my 8x32 and 10x42's on the ship and carry my 10x25's on shore excursions.

--

I did a quick look online at a binocular site and found Alpine Apex 8x42 for $265 and Nikon Monarch 10x42 for $299

So, are the ZenRay Summit 10x42s any good? From the reviews on this board, which sounds like maybe a hoax?, I was looking at getting a pair of these because they're a good bit cheaper than the Nikon Monarch 10x42s. Main purpose would be for cruises and maybe taking to sport events.

So you mean all that "ZenRay nonsense" was just that? (I didn't see that one coming)

Seriously, go to ANY sporting goods store and look at their binoculars. Buy the ones you like best. There's a reason some of them are $20 and some are $200. Just get a wide field of view and you'll be fine.

So, are the ZenRay Summit 10x42s any good? From the reviews on this board, which sounds like maybe a hoax?, I was looking at getting a pair of these because they're a good bit cheaper than the Nikon Monarch 10x42s. Main purpose would be for cruises and maybe taking to sport events.

I have also read that several of the tour operators in Alsaka carry them on their boats and aircraft for the passengers to use and enjoy. If they can stand up to daily use by non owners, and operators buy them in multiples, they must be a good value.

I've used mine at the Grand Canyon and around Sedona already this spring and look forward to testing them in Alaska later this month!

SuzCruzin, I own both summit and monarch ATB 10x42. They are both excellent in terms of optical and built quality, with ATB slightly lighter (22 oz vs 24 oz). Although there are couple of people who don't like it for one reason or another, the majority of us who have bought it really enjoyed it. Well, I cannot speak for other people. But I am one happy shopper with my purchase.

Thanks everyone! That makes me feel a bit better about purchasing the ZenRays.

I'm really looking forward to our Alaska trip the end of July and have been thrilled with all of the helpful folks on this board. You are all appreciated! I plan to post following our trip to help those who are going after us. Maybe I can make a difference for someone else?!:)

I think 20+ years ago a 50mm objective was the norm. With modern glass and high tech. coatings you can get just an image just as bright with a 42mm objective which seems to have become the new "standard". The big benefit is the the binolulars are smaller and lighter.

my observation as well! And 20+ years ago, everyone produces 7x50 as the THE standard format, just like 10x42/8x42 now... They did need a bigger glass and lower magnification to bring the same amount of light as the modern binoculars we enjoy now.

Archived