Where to buy Hammocks!

patmom4

Does anyone know where to buy hammocks in Progreso? My DH & I will be traveling there on the Ecstasy in September and would like to buy some for Christmas gifts! The ones I am looking for are made of string that fold up small (well, pretty small:).) We have tried them out here in Texas and they are VERY comfortable and easy to set up/use.....but VERY expensive. Any help with this topic would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know where to buy hammocks in Progreso? My DH & I will be traveling there on the Ecstasy in September and would like to buy some for Christmas gifts! The ones I am looking for are made of string that fold up small (well, pretty small:).) We have tried them out here in Texas and they are VERY comfortable and easy to set up/use.....but VERY expensive. Any help with this topic would be greatly appreciated.

did u find any? if so where & how much?

• 3 weeks later...

Best place to buy... At the Federal Prison !!

Prison authorities furnish materials to the inmates and they weave the hammocks. Keeps them "occupied". The hammocks we purchased were made out of nylon cord rather than cotton twine.

Hammocks

The word hammock evokes images of comfort, relaxation, leisure, freedom, and possibly just good old lazy procrastination. But when it comes to choosing one, are all hammocks alike? The answer is "no" there is much more to a hammock then meets the eye. The one that is most popular here in The Rivera Maya is the Mayan Hammock, or Yucatecan Hammock. The following information will be helpful in your quest for the perfect hammock!

Size: Purchase a 54 inch wide by 84 inch long (approx. 137x213 cm) hammock to comfortably fit two adults (called a matrimonial), or buy a hammock that is at least 45 inches wide (approx. 114 cm) and between 76 (approx. 193 cm) and 84 inches long (approx. 213 cm) for single seating (called a single).

Thread count: Matrimonials should have 200 or more pairs of strings at either end, and singles can have significantly less. A great hammock will be tightly woven of nice, fine thread. The best are double or triple woven. Check this by stretching out the woven area, and there shouldn't be much of a hole between the threads in the weave. It is also important to check the edges; make sure there are about 15 strings (minimum 10) along each edge to hold the body of the hammock together. Always make sure you check the end loops to make sure they're good and thick and tightly wrapped. This is very important because this is where you hang the hammock from and you don't want to hit the ground while taking your afternoon siesta!

Cost: You really shouldn't pay more then about 500 pesos for a matrimonial sized hammock, but you will get an even better deal if you purchase more then one.

Where to buy: There are often vendors that roam the streets and beaches, but sometimes the quality of their hammocks is not the best. However, now that you know what to look for you can certainly see what they have to offer. Who knows you may find the perfect hammock! Also there are two small villages on the way to Coba that have various shops and artisans and you can get some great deals on hammocks. One of the best places to buy a hammock for both quality and pricing is the Valladolid prison, go figure! If you plan on visiting Chichen Itza you can incorporate this with a stop at the prison

The Mayan Style Hammock is one of the most popular and obviously readily available in Playa del Carmen and the surrounding areas. This hammock's predecessor is the original hammock, which dates back over 1000 years. The same folks who built the Central American pyramids, created the most accurate calendar, developed an advanced writing system, and were generally brilliant astronomers and mathematicians - The Mayans, invented it. Their ingenious web-like design is still woven today by thousands of highly trained artisans. Many of them are direct descendants of this superior culture. Most string hammocks come from Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and El Salvador. The Mayan hammock, which comes from the Yucatan province in Mexico, is considered the best of these types of hammocks. String hammocks are reminiscent of tightly woven webs made of fine cotton in a weave that often consists of over a mile of string. This weave is very flexible yet incredibly supportive. It allows the hammock to shape and conform to any body size or shape. String hammocks allow perfect ventilation without any uncomfortable waffle side effects. The overall size and weight capacity of these string hammocks is unsurpassed.

Mayan string hammocks without staves are very lightweight and compact so they are easy to transport, store, and carry. They are popular among backpackers, sailors, and rock climbers - on and off the wall! Mayan hammocks are especially convenient as an extra bed or great furniture inside. They can be attached and removed at leisure to permanent screw hooks anchored in wall studs or ceiling beams. The main concern with string hammocks is their susceptibility to careless damage. Sharp objects or edges, buttons and zippers can all be enemies to the string hammock when the user is careless. So if you are the destructive type you might consider a hammock that sustains more abuse. String hammocks absorb moisture but dry quickly so they are not as vulnerable to rotting as the other hammocks; however, it is important not to store the hammock if even slightly damp. The beautiful colors that are the trademark of Yucatan string provide a beautiful and unique aesthetic appeal. In time, with exposure to the sun, they fade like your favorite jeans.

I see that u have sailed & should be back (unless u decided to stay :D ).

I was wondering if you were able to find a hammock in Progresso. If so where & how much if u do not mind me asking.

P.S. what all did u do? have a good time? Nosey arn't I? I am scheduled to leave on my first cruise nov 12, ecstasy. Progresso & Cozumel.

I see that u have sailed & should be back (unless u decided to stay :D ).

I was wondering if you were able to find a hammock in Progresso. If so where & how much if u do not mind me asking.

P.S. what all did u do? have a good time? Nosey arn't I? I am scheduled to leave on my first cruise nov 12, ecstasy. Progresso & Cozumel.

I'm not patmom but I did buy two hammocks in Progresso. I have no idea if I got a "good" deal. I paid $18 a piece for them at two different vendors.

You will have no problem finding plenty of people selling them. When you get off the bus in Progresso you will be right beside a market set up under a tent. There were several people selling them there.

If you walk towards the beach, you will see serveral other vendors.

I attached some photos.

Happy shopping.

DSCF5843.jpg.db3d4582947dd520d9b4da8d54dfca70.jpg

DSCF5776.jpg.34d4d36a6481be9375b57f8cf17ae8aa.jpg

DSCF5772.jpg.81ef71a116d67ca725448e6f94d2ef4c.jpg

Thank you so much for your response. Do you remember what size the ones you bought are? I am looking for all the information I can to arm myself for a good time & good buys. We are planning on just browsing & shopping while in Progresso. Hoping to buy some b-day & Christmas presents while there.

Thank you for the photos also. I took a peek at the rest of your photos. Could you tell me when the chocolate buffet was & where? I do eat chocolate but crusing buddy is a choco-holic!!

Thanks again.

I'm not patmom but I did buy two hammocks in Progresso. I have no idea if I got a "good" deal. I paid $18 a piece for them at two different vendors.

You will have no problem finding plenty of people selling them. When you get off the bus in Progresso you will be right beside a market set up under a tent. There were several people selling them there.

If you walk towards the beach, you will see serveral other vendors.

I attached some photos.

Happy shopping.

Thank you so much for your response. Do you remember what size the ones you bought are? I am looking for all the information I can to arm myself for a good time & good buys. We are planning on just browsing & shopping while in Progresso. Hoping to buy some b-day & Christmas presents while there.

Thank you for the photos also. I took a peek at the rest of your photos. Could you tell me when the chocolate buffet was & where? I do eat chocolate but crusing buddy is a choco-holic!!

Thanks again.

On the Holiday the chocolate buffet was during the afternoon on the last sea day. It was very pretty (and tasty).

I'm not sure how to describe the size of our hammocks. The first one was a "traditional" hammock. We have it suspended between two trees. I believe it is a single person hammock but that doesn't stop my husband and I from sharing it. The second one is more like a swing. It hangs from one rope above the seat. You can use it as a chair or lay completely down in it. If you are laying down it would be attached to the ceiling/roof above your tummy. OK, that probably makes no sense but I'm not a hammock expert. :D

• 2 weeks later...
OThe second one is more like a swing. It hangs from one rope above the seat. You can use it as a chair or lay completely down in it. If you are laying down it would be attached to the ceiling/roof above your tummy. OK, that probably makes no sense but I'm not a hammock expert. :D
Where did you get that one, and how much was it? We might pick up a few...

Hammocks are everywhere. We bought two on the street under $20.00 and then we went into one of the nicer shops and paid $60 for one that was heaver smooth cotton string and tightly woven. It's by far better than the cheap vender colorful one's. It compares to the $400 one they sell at Neiman Marcus. Even in Mexico you get what you pay for!

• 3 weeks later...

Hrm... yeah definately be careful about your hammock purchase. After doing a little reading, after the fact, I'm not entirely convinced we purchased what we were 'sold'.

We went into Merida two weeks ago via Progreso (rented a Jeep, easy drive).

We went to one of the "co-ops" (but I'll tell you, it's questionable what places really are co-ops and which are ones people will tell you are co-ops).

Anyhow... the place we were in showed us a sisal hammock. Invited us to try it out, had us smell the "difference" between nylon, cotton and this. It was undyed but he did say he had dyed sisal ones as well, but we wanted the natural color. Anyhow... the point is the price was about 3300pesos, which we sure as hell wern't paying for. In the end, we got it, a round-wire silver bracelet and some tall mask thing for 2200 making the hammock about $150USD. Half of what he was trying to sell it for. For that reason, I suspected we probably finally god a fair price. Though apparently some shops will peddle off undyed cotton ones as sisal. That said, the fabric here does not feel like cotton, though it could be so coarsely wound that it gives it the different feel and it does indeed have a bit of an odour to it.

Anyhow we did ask a guy at the restaurant what a good price for a hammock made from the plant fibres was (without telling him we bought one or where we bought one) and he did say 2000 pesos. So I dunno. If you look online it sounds like the sisal ones are uncommon.

My concern is all the people saying about $60 (though for cotton) because if this one is cotton, the guy is marking the price up 500%. I've heard of unscrupulous but jesus, really? Anyhow it did take about 30 minutes of haggling to get him down there.. with the calculator coming out every step my wife took to the door.

Anyhow it's certainly durable, he had no reservations having two of us in the hammock at a time (easily 320+ lbs total) the weave looked good, and he cinched it up to make it better as a chair.

In the end, even if it was made from sisal, it's not like we NEED that kind of durability, we're not using it as a replacement for a bed. So I suspect a $60 cotton one would have done the job for casual yard use, but we generally try to buy quality. Anyhow we're young, early 30's and I was wearing a T-Shirt, so I don't think we were screaming "money".

Anyhow.. just be prepared. Maybe ask the cruise info desk, they may actually be able to recommend a shop or tell you how to identify nylon, cotton, sisal. (Nylon's pretty easy to tell.. it'll be the cheapest too).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived