VOS 7/16/04 part 5 of review

Day 2, Saturday:

On Saturday, I did try the Step Class in the ShipShape Fitness Center. This was the first time I tried it at someplace other than the usual place I go to at home. It was a little different (especially on a ship with slight rocking).

“babchia” really wanted to do the first Bingo. They were giving away the owner’s suite to someone. She had hopes, but didn’t win it. Because of this, she missed the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle. Instead, I went. In fact, I was very early and got there before anyone else.

I was disappointed with the number of people who did not come. It was nice to meet those who did come. I was able to speak up during it and thank everyone for his or her information on the boards (although I don’t know if everyone heard it).

We were given a very large RCL neck holder, which we used as name tags. In addition, we were each given a Cruise Critic Pin. (I was able to get two so “babchia” would have them.)

As a part of the Meet and Mingle, we took a Trivia quiz about RCL and VOS. I did OK (got 3 out of 10). The person next to me won with 7 ½ out of 10. The prize was a cute PC Mouse with part of it clear and filled with a thick liquid and a ship. Moving it around meant the ship would rock about in the wave. (Interestingly, the winner uses a MAC and cannot use the mouse. Instead, he will give it to his son.)

It was fun to meet these people. Towards the end, as people were leaving, some others who had gone to Bingo arrived. A few minutes later, “babchia” arrived with the bad news of not winning. We were able to meet and talk with “cruzeluvr” and his wife. Found them to be wonderful people. During the discussion, we found out about their 25th anniversary being in January and their plans for a Vow Renewal on Monday. We told them that on Monday (when the renewal was scheduled), it was our 24th anniversary. We ended up being the lucky ones to be invited to the renewal.

We split up saying we would meet when we run into each other, or on Monday.

That evening, after dinner and desert, the waiters delivered another cake to us and sang, “Happy Anniversary” (like Happy Birthday). We were all full, so we had our waiter hold the cake for another day. (Our table did eat it later in the week.)

The only other highlight for Saturday was we went to see Vibe*ology. My review of the show was, it was trying. It was apparent that the band and the singers were very good. Whoever setup the show would try to have the singers sing against type to allow them to shine. (Example: the white female singer sang A Janet Jackson song.) This meant the songs we heard were not exact copies of what we were accustom to, but would be an interpretation. My complaint was that many times, the singers were not up to the songs they were singing. In addition, the use of video and special lighting made the show seem a little over the top. The show was overall OK, but I had hoped for more. (Later, I did get more, but you will see that further down.)

One note, after our show was over, James Andrews, the Cruise Director came out on stage. He called out one of the female singers from backstage. This singer’s boyfriend then came out on stage. After a short speech, and with the crowd yelling for him to get on his knee, he got on his knee and proposed. She accepted. A lot of fun for something so special!

When we went back to our room, we found the first of may towel animals. Today, we found a dog towel animal waiting for us.

For Day 3, Sunday, we didn’t do much special. Definitely had a good time. “babchia” went to the Sunday morning Catholic Services. The priest hadn’t planned on so many people to come. Even though he tried to spread it out as best as he could, he ran out of ‘Hosts’, and about half of the people didn’t Receive. As I understand it, many were angry.

I did get another nap on Deck 4. Can’t remember much. Some of our dinner table mates went to Portofino’s, so our table was a little quieter, but still had a good time.

We did go to the show to see special performer, Martin Dube. He was listed as a Singer/Impressionist. Nice show, but he didn’t impress me a lot.

The towel animal in our room that day was a swan

See part 6.

Archived