Use your own or rent a wheelchair

gigsjh

Hi I will be traveling on 9/19 with my son and husband. My husband broke his leg. I have a prescription for a wheelchair. Is it possible to bring a wheelchair from home on the cruise. If not were do I need to rent from scootaround.com or www.cruiseshipassist.com. I read some where you need to rent from a certain place. We will be traveling on the Norwegian Dawn. I can not ge thriugh due to the holiday. I am trying to ge things planned here. I am hoping we can still have a good time.

Since you still have a couple of weeks I would continue to try and get ahold of NCL to verify the type of wheelchair that's acceptable. (Wait until after the hurricane has passed). If you can't reach them, possibly your TA would know or any TA for that matter. There are usually a few wheelchairs on board but they seem to disappear fairly quick soooooo bring your own. ;)

Hi I will be traveling on 9/19 with my son and husband. My husband broke his leg. I have a prescription for a wheelchair. Is it possible to bring a wheelchair from home on the cruise. If not were do I need to rent from scootaround.com or www.cruiseshipassist.com. I read some where you need to rent from a certain place. We will be traveling on the Norwegian Dawn. I can not ge thriugh due to the holiday. I am trying to ge things planned here. I am hoping we can still have a good time.[/quote

Once you check on the type of wheelchair, if you need to rent, I went on the Dawn, and rented from ScootAround. They were great and the wheelchair was in the room waiting for us.

Karen

You can bring a wheelchair from home. Or you can rent from the companies you cite. If you rent, there are a limited number of wheelchairs on the pier for use in boarding.

I prefer to bring my own from home. In any event, go and have a great time. We love the Dawn. I think you will too!

You can bring a wheelchair from home. Or you can rent from the companies you cite. If you rent, there are a limited number of wheelchairs on the pier for use in boarding.

I prefer to bring my own from home. In any event, go and have a great time. We love the Dawn. I think you will too!

If you don't want to bring a wheelchair from home and rather rent, once you get to the pier, 2nd floor, there will be an information desk there and you can ask someone to bring a wheelchair to you. It may take a little while but not only did NCL provide us with a wheelchair but someone (a crew member) to take us through all the boarding process, all the while giving us commentary on the trip, what to see, etc. He brought us up the ramp to the ship and through the ship directly to our cabin. It really worked out wonderfully. Leaving the ship, NCL also provided a wheelchair and someone to help us down the ramp and right to the street.

Karen

Your husband's height may be a factor if you are planing to rent. It should not be a problem with the rental since companies like CareVacations ask about height and weight when you reserve. However, it could be a factor if you use loaners in the airports and when embarking/disembarking.

Most cruise lines have have gone to wheelchairs with fixed foot rests. Not only are the foot rests just way too short for my 6' 2" husband, but he can use only one since a brace on the other leg keeps it from bending far enough to get his foot on the other leg rest. As a result, I have traversed several airports backwards, holding his leg up when an airline did not return his chair to the plane. If your husband is tall, you may have the same problem.

Thanks for all of your help. I contacted NCL today they said I could bring a wheelchair from home. I will probably rent from a medical supply store using a perscription. Hopefully it will fit with the rest of the luggage. I do not know how big it will be. I hope it works.

Archived