Saint John, NB - guided or self tour?

BlueHorizon

Our cruise will take us to Saint John in early October. I requested and received a Visitors Guide from the city's tourism dept, but am wondering if we should do a self tour (walk or rent a car) or book a guided tour. There is a shuttle tour to the Reversing Falls. Our ship is scheduled to dock 8am-4pm, so we'll likely miss high tides (at 7am & 7:30pm) and won't get to fully experience the falls phenomenon. Does anyone have any recommendation on what's best to see/do there, given the limited time?

Many thanks in advance,

BlueHorizon

Those are actually good time for that day. If you get off the ship as soon as it docks and head over to Reversing Falls, you will see the water going in the wrong direction (High Tide). Around 9:35am the water will come to a complete stop for 20 minutes, and then begin to flow in it natural direction again. Low tide which would be around 1:30pm the day you are here, is actually when the water is the most violent. There is also a really good bus tour offered by the city. you are able to get on the bus at Reversing Falls at 1pm, and it is 2 hours long, and it will drop you off at your cruise ship when it is over. the cost for the tour is $17.00 US I believe. I have personally gone on the tour, and I live here, and found it very interesting. The two different drivers who do the tour are very informative. They take you to all the different highlights of the city, including Reversing Falls, Martelo Tour (includes admission cost to the tower), Fort Howe, The Old City Market (allow you time to look through the market), and all the historic parts of the city.

Saint John is also very walkable around your ship. All of the historic district is just a few blocks up, there is lots of little shops, resturants, and the old city market, New Brunswick, Museum...and much more.....if there is anything else you would like to know feel free to ask, and I would be glad to help

Mike

Wow! That is very good to hear. Thanks, Mike!

The shuttle tour I mentioned earlier is a harbor tour in a glass-roofed boat, which starts at the Market Slip (Hilton) and goes to the Reversing Falls and then to Uptown Saint John. I just didn't notice the city bus tour that is also mentioned in the guide.

Does the bus tour start at the Reversing Falls? That means we'd have to find another mode of transportation to get from the cruise docking pier to the starting point, right?...unless they can pick up near the pier? (Hmm, I wouldn't have asked so many questions if I would just call them. :-) I guess they don't have any info on the web.)

Many thanks,

BlueHorizon

The bus tour does also pick up near the cruise ship at Barbours General Store. you are able to call Tourism Saint John @ 1-800 GO FUNDY, they would be able to give you any information on the city you were looking for specifics on. A taxi ride could also be done to the reversing falls for about $7.00 Canadian or you could just take the regular city bus for $1.50 US to the Reversing Falls. The bus stops outside Reversing Falls every 10 min. At the Reversing Falls there are 2 different Resturants, a toursit information centre, 2 obervation areas, and a 17 minute movie, that explains the falls, and shows most of the area highlights. Also from reversing falls there is a Water Shuttle that takes you back to the Harbour area. (this is not always operating...usually does on Cruise Ship days) Their main purpose is to offer 1 hour long sight seeing harbour tours.

Thanks for the additional info, Mike. So nice to get hints from a native resident!

I found Saint John's tourism website. Unfortunately, the city bus tour's operating season ends on Oct6, a day before we arrive (http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=14&screen=227). Public transportation will be a convenient alternative. Good thing you told me that!

Would you also recommend that we rent a car to drive along the Bay of Fundy to St. Martins? We enjoy scenic drives (photo opps) and this seems short enough that we'll still have time to explore Uptown. Will we run into any traffic getting in and out of Uptown? What is parking like there?

BlueHorizon

I will find out if the bus will still be running for you. I can't see them not offering it with cruise ships being in untill the begining of November. The drive to St. Martins is nothing to see. It is all trees. but once you get into St. Martins it is very nice. It's about a 45 min. drive to St. Martins. Very doable. Parking in Saint John is pretty easy. there are lots of lots in the Uptown area. it's anywhere from $1.00 to 1.50 and hour. you wont run into any traffic going to St. Martins if you go early in the morning. Traffic in the uptown area around lunch time can get busy, but nothing like a big city.

It is always great when there is a post from locals on the ports we are visiting. We will also be stopping in Saint John on our cruise and have not yet decided what to do. Our ship dock's at 9:00 so we would not make the early time to see the reversing river rapids. We are considering a photography tour that our ship offers which will take us to the Old City Market, Loyalist Burial Grounds and Kings Square in addition to the Reversing River Rapids. What do you think? Can you recommend a great place for lunch? If we go on the above tour we would be returning to the ship around 1:00 and if there is a great "local place" we might like to have lunch and see any other place that might be of interest.

Thanks for your input.

Debbie

The Thanksgiving day situation could be awkward. Most businesses, especially in tourist areas are able to open Sunday, but there's no provision in the province for opening on holidays that I know of. That would cut down on the shopping, but certainly tourist related activities (tours, etc) wouldn't be affected. Have a great time in old Saint John, birthplace of me. :D

Our cruise will take us to Saint John in early October. I requested and received a Visitors Guide from the city's tourism dept, but am wondering if we should do a self tour (walk or rent a car) or book a guided tour. There is a shuttle tour to the Reversing Falls. Our ship is scheduled to dock 8am-4pm, so we'll likely miss high tides (at 7am & 7:30pm) and won't get to fully experience the falls phenomenon. Does anyone have any recommendation on what's best to see/do there, given the limited time?

Many thanks in advance,

BlueHorizon

I have booked a tour of Saint Johns.. here is the description

From the Fundy Coast to the Fundy Shore Duration 5 hours

This tour begins with a short drive to Reversing Falls, where you will see the Falls at one level in their cycle. Witness the power of the Bay of Fundy tide overcoming the natural flow of the St. John River, or behaving as a river should, flowing into the sea over the Falls. Next, visit the scenic lookout, Fort Howe, for an overview of the city and its harbour. Our journey then continues to the quaint fishing village of St Martins, just an hour’s drive from Saint John. Explore the historic fishing village famous for its natural harbour, red cliffs, echoing sea–caves (at low tide), hiking, and birdwatching. Capture the romance of two covered bridges from various camera angles. Witness the effects of the extreme high and low tides of the Bay of Fundy. Travel back to Saint John to return to Reversing Falls to view them in “reverse mode”.

freedomtours.com has a few others.

Wishing well

DebLeonard a good place for lunch in Billy's Seafood in the Old City Market or Steamers across from where the Cruise Ships Dock. The tour would mentioned seems to cover all the major spots, and also gives you time to explore the uptown area yourself. What day will you be in port. I can give you the peak times to see the Reversing Falls...as it changes everyday

Mike

SJNB, thanks for your response on the places to have lunch. We will be in Saint John on Wednesday the 13th. I appreciate your comments. With only one day in port I do not even begin to think that I will "see it all". I would like to have a tour that offers a taste of the town.

In Halifax we would enjoy seeing Peggy's Cove. I have read many comments on these boards that while it is beautiful there isn't much more to the tour. Would you recommend we rent a car and drive on our own? Will we miss the tour guides facts and folklore? Thanks again for your insight.

Debbie

I was looking at the Princess site, and I think the best tour which would give you an over all look at the entire city would be the "Saint John Highlights Tour"

http://www.princess.com/planner/shorexdetail.jsp?shorexId=YSJ-A

It covers everything and leaves you with enough time, that you are able to explore the rest of the uptown area on your own to see the Loylast Burial Ground, and King Square, that are included on the Photography tour. To enjoy these 2 areas you do not really need a tour guide with you.

The peak of Reversal on the day you are in port is 11:50 am. so if that tour is offered more then once through out the day, try to go in the morning, as the driver will probably work around the tide schedule to get you the best viewing time.

As for Halifax, and Peggy's Cove. I do not really know enough about them to help you on that day.

If there is anything else you would liketo know feel free to ask.

Mike

I posted this question on the Canada board as well but found this thread in New England too, so perhaps SJNB can answer this question for me?? We have booked the 7 hr.excursion to the seaside village of St. Andrews from St. John. The tour description mentions that the route follows the Bay of Fundy and that there will be commentary regarding the Bay but does not specificly mention the Reversing Falls. Does anyone know if we will see the Reversing Falls along the way or is it, perhaps, in the opposite direction? Most of the other tours specificly mention the Falls.

Also, how can I find the tide times for Oct. 22? Thanks!

BlueHorizon The City Bus tours will still be offered on days when Cruise Ships are in Port after the specified ending date.

Truffle It all depends on which direction the bus driver goes whether or not you will see the Falls.

I will be in St. John on Oct.5th and booked the Princess tour that is an eco walking tour of Taylor Island. It sounds intersting to me, but will only leave me about an one hour or so after to explore the city on our own as the tour is from 8:45 to 12:15 p.m., and the ship leaves Port at 3:00 p.m.

I wonder what you think of this option?

Thank you, Andrea

The Irving Nature Park (Taylor Island) http://www.ifdn.com/inp/ is very nice. I'm sure they will drive by Reversing Falls on your way to you may get a chance to see that. With the remaing Hour you have I'd suggest maybe walking to the Old Saint John City Market. It's the oldest Farmers Maket in North America. It was built in 1876. It's filled with local Crafts, produce and places to grab a quick lunch. It is only a 10 minute walk from where the Cruise ships dock. It is does kind of suck that the Regal Princess does leave so early. i'm not sure why it does. Just a lil tid bit on info for you...the Voyage of the Sea will also be in port that day with you

Thanks for the info. We will be going by reversing river rapids, as the tour is described. We will have views of the Bay of Fundy. What might I expect in terms of weather? Perhaps I'll need a rain slicker??

I think we'll enjoy the old city market.

Andrea

BlueHorizon The City Bus tours will still be offered on days when Cruise Ships are in Port after the specified ending date.

Terrific! Thanks, Mike/SJNB for taking time to find this out for me. (Sorry...I've been MIA from the Net for the past few days. Couldn't believe how many replies took place since last I checked!) Thanks so much for all the great suggestions and comments from everyone!!

BlueHorizon

I have booked a tour of Saint Johns.. here is the description

From the Fundy Coast to the Fundy Shore Duration 5 hours

This tour begins with a short drive to Reversing Falls, where you will see the Falls at one level in their cycle. Witness the power of the Bay of Fundy tide overcoming the natural flow of the St. John River, or behaving as a river should, flowing into the sea over the Falls. Next, visit the scenic lookout, Fort Howe, for an overview of the city and its harbour. Our journey then continues to the quaint fishing village of St Martins, just an hour’s drive from Saint John. Explore the historic fishing village famous for its natural harbour, red cliffs, echoing sea–caves (at low tide), hiking, and birdwatching. Capture the romance of two covered bridges from various camera angles. Witness the effects of the extreme high and low tides of the Bay of Fundy. Travel back to Saint John to return to Reversing Falls to view them in “reverse mode”.

freedomtours.com has a few others.

Wishing well

Thanks, JimCat for the Freedom tour info. It sounds very interesting! We're still trying to decide whether to pick a full-day guided tour or just go on our own, using available public transportation & short tours that Mike/SJNB detailed earlier.

BlueHorizon

Thanks, JimCat for the Freedom tour info. It sounds very interesting! We're still trying to decide whether to pick a full-day guided tour or just go on our own, using available public transportation & short tours that Mike/SJNB detailed earlier.

BlueHorizon

I posted a mini review of our Tour that day.. Well worth it.. I would ask for Cal.. he was our guide.. brian was the driver... I mean he went well out of his way. to accomedate my wife and 2 other couples from England. If you wanted to stop for Pictures any place .. not a problem.. he even dropped the Englanders off at a observation point and took us to the market, where I could use the library.. he got the van back to the tour area.. then picked up the Englanders in his own car.

I think this was very very nice of him. We rented a car for Halifax.. but did feel a bit rushed coming back.. even though we had time to spare.. but we did feel rushed for some reason.

Enjoy :)