A few Auto Progresso/Uxmal questions

hopfme

So I plan on taking the Auto Progresso tour bux to Uxumal in a week. I'll be in Progresso from 7am-4pm. I've read in a few spots that the bus leaves around 10am to go to the ruins and you get back around 3pm or so. Is this about right? Am I allowed to take bottles of water with me? What do I do about a meal? Do I just eat a big breakfast before getting off the ship, pack a few granola bars as a snack, and then eat again when I return or what do most people do? Thanks!

The Uxmal tour is great. IMHO, it is better than Chichen Itza. I visited a year ago so all this is from memory and may be blended from several cruises.;)

When you leave the ship there will be long lines for people going other places. Our group went on a small bus. Uxmal just isn't well known. You can take water if you like or buy it. I remember a box lunch being served. The visitors center at Uxmal sold bottled drinks and snacks also.

Uxmal is a large site with many buildings available to tour. The guided tour takes about an hour then you should have an hour or so for exploring on your own. Climbing was allowed last year. The views from the buildings/pyramids are spectacular. Enjoy!

I took two liters of water with us, only drank one, but I would take a bottle for sure. As for eating, I think Auto Progresso does stop for lunch. There is also a restaurant at the ruins. BUT, out guides warned us about ordering your food hot. I spent all my free time roaming the ruins so I did not get to the restaurant to sample any local fare.

I had ordered room service for breakfast and got some extra fruit. They never did check our bag leaving the ship, so you should have no problem taking anything with you to eat.

My wife and I loved the tours very much, we did the Carnival tour. I would guess there were no more than 30 people at the ruins at any one time. While waiting to go on our bus 3 bus loads went to Chichen Itza.

We could climb the Grand Pyramid, the view is wonderful! The view isn’t bad from the Governor’s Palace either. I only wish I had a couple extra hours to enjoy the ruins after the guided tour.

• 2 weeks later...

$36 for all four of you? WOW do they have a website?

There is another tour company in the open market that has cheaper prices than Auto Progreso, we went on a 3 hour for 36 bucks for all four of us

Those are pictures of Xcambo. Autoprogreso has a tour there that includes stops at a salt flat and to see the flamingos. Planning on doing this tour next week. I think the larger sites need more time to enjoy! Maybe it just takes me longer to get around!!

• 3 weeks later...
Neat photos, I had not even considered this tour but may now.

Thanks

I went to Xcambo last month and it was every bit as good as the other Mayan ruin tours AutoProgreso offers. They stop at the salt flat and the guide picks up salt crystals to give to anyone who wants it. The pictures that were posted give you an idea of just how amazing are these ruins.

This tour leaves later in the morning, like around 1030, so you have time to shop or walk around before going on the tour. Like the previous poster mentioned, the tour is $18 pp and is well worth it!

I have to add that I learned the AutoProgreso guys read Cruise Critic about what cruisers say about AutoProgreso. They surprised me by calling me by my screen name when I walked up to their office. They recalled talking with me back in July about the election. I was amazed that they remembered me.

Archived