New England Cruise in Sept - Victoy

REGINA

We are doing New England/Canada for the first time. From what I have read there is nothing in the area of the port. How far is it to a shopping area? How readily available are restrooms.

I am wondering the same for Portland, Maine.

Thanks!

We are also doing this cruise in September..We did the same cruise in 2006. We rented cars in Portland and drove to Kennebuckport and had a wonderful day. We also rented a car in Halifax and drove out to Peggy's Cove and then stopped for lunch at a small restaurant called "Shaw Landing". Great food.

There is no free shuttle from the port in Boston and I have been trying to figure a way to get from there to Quincy Market without it costing an arm and a leg as there are 8 of us and I have read that the shuttle is $15.00 per person round trip..ouch..

There is no free shuttle from the port in Boston and I have been trying to figure a way to get from there to Quincy Market without it costing an arm and a leg as there are 8 of us and I have read that the shuttle is $15.00 per person round trip..ouch..

The price of the shuttle is ridiculous. The T (Bostons subway line) has the Silver line right outside the cruise port. It's an extension of their line and is actually a bus, not a subway. Jump on that and then you can transfer to a regular line and get right to Quincy for about 2 bucks per person.

Crusingram..thanks for the info..that sounds like a great idea. I am sure some would be able to tell us when to change buses..I wouldn't want to go round and round on the bus..lol....

I had the same delemna as you as we have 8 in our group. We are going to use the beantown trolley to tour around the city and see the sights.

There is a trolly stop relatively close, but since we are using the GoBoston card, we must board at a specific location. So we needed transportation from the port too. No way we're spending $15 per person.

When I posted the question, a local guy from Boston informed me of the silver line. Here's the subway map:

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

To get to Quincy Market, just take the Silver Line to South Station where you can jump on the red line. Take the red line to Downtown Crossing and transfer to the Orange Line. Get off the orange line at State Street and you are right in the area of Quincy Market. I'm sure it'll take a little more time then the $15 shuttle, but should be worth it when you have a large group.

Hey, CruisnGram, you're taking my job away! And you've learned your way around Boston already.

Just to reiterate: only the Silver Line is a bus. All the rest of your trip to Quincy Market will be on the subway trains.

The Silver Line is integrated into the subway system as far as fares and maps are concerned, even though it is a bus. There is also an extensive bus system, but you probably won't need that -- anywhere you'd want to go as a tourist, pretty much, is on the subway system. $2.00 per ride, or you can get a one-day ticket for $9 at any subway station (but NOT on the Silver Line when you board at Black Falcon Cruise Terminal). (A one-week ticket is only $15, which is definitely worth it if you'll be in town for three or more days. The one-day ticket probably isn't worth it since so much of downtown Boston is walkable).

Oh -- if you have kids with you: kids 11 and under travel free on the entire system as long as they are with an adult.

CrusinGram...sounds like a plan...again, thanx for all of the info...when we did this same cruise in 2006 we actually just stayed on the ship instead of going into Boston but this time since there are going to be more people with us we decide to go for it....at least if we get lost we'll get lost together!!

Hey, CruisnGram, you're taking my job away! And you've learned your way around Boston already.

I've only learned my way around from your excellent advice! :D Sorry to steal your job, just didn't know if you'd see this thread and thought I'd jump in and share your great knowledge with a fellow cruiser! :)

How long, no matter how you go, does it take to get from the Port to a main area. We have never been up north.

Regina -- which city are you asking about? Boston specifically? In Boston, it takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes to get from the Port to downtown, depending on how you choose to go. You can get downtown by taxi in 10-15 minutes depending on traffic, or by T (subway) in 15-30 minutes.

Thank you for the silver line info. My sister and I will be on Carnival Victory Sept. 27.

We like to visit lighthouses. We are particularly interested in the Boston Harbor Lighthouse. What is the best way to get out to the boat that ill take us to the island which is near the Atlantic Ocean and not close to city part of Boston Harbor?

What will the weather be like?

The weather in Boston in late September could be anything from sunny and hot to cold and rainy and anything in between. You have a good chance at great weather, though -- that's a lovely time of year on AVERAGE.

The Boston Harbor Lighthouse is on Little Brewster Island. The Harbor Islands in general are a WONDERFUL place to explore and relax, but they are not quick to get to. There are several good websites with information, including http://www.bostonislands.org/ . Check out the ferry schedules in particular.

If you have your heart set on getting to Little Brewster, check out http://www.bostonislands.org/events_bostonlight.html .

Or you could go to George's Island and explore the fortress ruins.

There is a ferry that runs right from the Cruise Terminal to Thompson Island, and from there you can get to Spectacle Island. But to get to George's Island or Little Brewster would require additional transfers. You could end up spending all day just trying to get somewhere and back. Don't miss your ship!!

Other departures are from Long Wharf or Fan Pier. Both of those would require either taxi or bus/subway connections to get to from the Cruise Terminal. Might have better schedules, though -- the Thompson Island ferry is pretty restricting as far as getting around. Fan Pier is about a mile away and you can get there on the Silver Line (bus) direct from the Cruise Terminal -- just a few stops to "Courthouse". Long Wharf would require a few changes, so a taxi would be easier.

We will be arriving in Boston Sept.4. I plan on doing the Old Town Trolley hop/on/off tour. Can we take the Silver Line, which I read is right at the terminal, to South Station and pick up the trolley there? What is the best way to get to a Trolley stop from the terminal? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Mary

You can take the Silver Line bus just a very short distance to stop 16 or 17 on the Old Town Trolley map. See website at http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/aquarium-faneiul.asp and click on "full-size Boston map" (and yes, there is a spelling error for the word Faneuil in the website name, but that's how they spelled it online).

BUT: you'd better check with them to see if you're allowed to board there as your first embarkation, or if you have to go to a more central stop.

EDITED: They have a link especially for cruise guests: http://www.trolleytours.com/Boston/trolley-tours-for-cruise-guests.asp that may give you better options.

We will be arriving in Boston Sept.4. I plan on doing the Old Town Trolley hop/on/off tour. Can we take the Silver Line, which I read is right at the terminal, to South Station and pick up the trolley there? What is the best way to get to a Trolley stop from the terminal? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Mary

You can take the Silver Line bus just a very short distance to stop 16 or 17 on the Old Town Trolley map. See website at http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/aquarium-faneiul.asp and click on "full-size Boston map" (and yes, there is a spelling error for the word Faneuil in the website name, but that's how they spelled it online).

BUT: you'd better check with them to see if you're allowed to board there as your first embarkation, or if you have to go to a more central stop.

EDITED: They have a link especially for cruise guests: http://www.trolleytours.com/Boston/trolley-tours-for-cruise-guests.asp that may give you better options.

I THINK that you can board the trolley anywhere if you are using Old Town Trollley. We're using Beantown Trolley because of the Go Boston cards and have to board at a specific stop because of the cards.

Thanks so much for the Old Town Trolley tours website for cruisers. It answered all my questions.:) Looks like I can get on at any of the 17 stops. On another thread someone was saying that the walk from the ship to the trolley stop isn't the most desirable, but the directions say that's it's only 1/2 mile away. In your opinion, is it safe to walk:confused:

Mary

On another thread someone was saying that the walk from the ship to the trolley stop isn't the most desirable, but the directions say that's it's only 1/2 mile away. In your opinion, is it safe to walk:confused:

Perfectly safe. Not very interesting, but safe, at least in the daytime.

I just measured it on a real map and the walk is only half a mile. You're in an old industrial zone with nothing of interest around. But I wouldn't hesitate to walk it.

• 1 month later...

Regina,

In Portland, your vessel will dock at the Ocean Gateway Facility in Portland Maine which is 50 Commercial Street. That's at the intersection of Commercial and Franklin Arterial which also form one corner of the "Old Port" district. "Old Port is about 4 x 6 blocks in size and is very easily walked to from the ship.

There are private tour operators along Commrecial Street from trolleys, to horse & carriage, to lobstering, to lighthouses by boat. There's a public ferry boat that leave the dock next to your ship and takes people out to the islands of Portland Harbor where you could rent a bike and explore on your own. Portland also has a Freedom Trail which highlights people and places from the Underground Railroad.

Portland Maine's public bus, METRO, offers a bus loop through the downtown section of Portland for an all day fare so if your group wanted to go to the art museum or LL Bean outlet or Victoria Mansion on their own, you could use the bus. Taxis will be lined up outside the pier waiting to take you to any destination you desire also.

There are some beaches close by - East End in Portland and Willard in South Portland. Water temps are in the high 50's low 60's in Sept, and since school will be back in session, should be quiet if you're looking for sunbathing.

The ship's Lighthouses of Maine tour will take you to 3 local lighthouses where you get to walk around the grounds and take in the sites and sounds of the waterfront. That tour also includes a visit the the Portland Head Light House Museum.

Hope these suggestions help. I work as a tour guide mostly in Southern Maine so Portland area is very familiar to me.

Archived