Grand Circle: Eastern Europe to the Black Sea

gracecarmo

Here is a brief review of our trip on the Aria, Eastern Europe to the Black Sea.

This trip is a combination land/river tour. We took the pre cruise package in Prague for 3 days. I will not go into specific details, but just give my overall impression of the trip. Three days in Prague, three days in Budapest, and 7 days on the River, MV Aria.

Although we had been to Prague before, we enjoyed seeing it again, with new areas to visit. The hotel we stayed at was centrally located, and we could walk to the old town. Food at the hotel was really the best place for dining, in fact, it was excellent. There is a lot of walking, but the tram runs right outside the hotel. One day, we took the tram for $1.00 each and practically toured the whole city. The city is vibrant and alive, a lot of tourists. The flood two years ago did take it's toll on the nice area below the Charles Bridge.

The actual GCT river/tour began in Budapest. Since the GCT riverboat Aria holds 162 pax, we were divided up into 4 different groups and each group had their own bus. This prevailed throughout the entire trip. We were transferred from Prague to Budapest by bus, a long 8 hour ride. It was broken up by a stop for a home-hosted lunch at a nice home in the Czech Republic. The hosts for these lunches are very gracious, and bring out all their fine china. We were broken down into groups of 8 for each home. The food was very good, a home cooked ethnic meal. At all of the homes, a family member is available to answer any questions and tell us about thier life.

Arrival in Budapest: The hotel was a bit of a disappointment, being in a rather busy area, with lots of traffic. The last time we were in Budapest with GCT we stayed at a lovely hotel right on the Danube. Tours were mostly around various sites, and a lot of walking. The brochure states this. I would strongly advise those that can not easily walk on cobble stones, up steep stairs, etc. to avoid this type of tour. On our bus there was a woman with a walker, and it was impossible for her to really participate in many of the activities.

GCT program directors are excellent. They were always available for help. In all of the city tours local guides were brought on the bus. All spoke English well and were entertaining.

Again, we found the restaurant in the hotel to be the best place for dinners not included with the tour. Included in the tour is a dinner out at a local restaurant with music.

The Aria: we boarded the ship in late afternoon. Our luggage was already in our room. The rooms on the ship are well equiped, clean, and comfortable.

However, once the ship began moving I found a lot of noise, mostly a rattle of woodwork, or some type of bumping. Everyone around us mentioned the same type of noise. I must say, I did not really sleep well at all, as I am a light sleeper. When the ship was tied up all night on occasion, the same type of noise was evident. The ship is very clean and modern. Crew friendly.

Food on the ship: The quality was very good. The breakfast selection was the best, a plentiful buffet. Lunch buffets were also good. Dinner was pre ordered at lunch, and really only 2 selections. One night they offered a duck dish, and a salmon dish. Neither appealed to me. I asked if they had a chicken breast and they said of course, so if you do not like the selection just ask for something else. Presentation of meals is very gourmet. Desserts are too good!

Ports: Crusing down the Danube is very restful. Not at all like the Rhine and Main. Since this is only the 2nd year for this voyage, there is really not a lot of shopping stops. Prague and Budapest are the places to do any type of shopping. Along the way commentary is given and reading material is provided re the towns and situations of places visited. There were also home hosted lunches along the way. On board, lectures were presented about life after communism, and what it was like before. We did see a lot of the buildings that were bombed in 97. Some people in Belgrade were not happy to see Americans because of this.

End of the trip: We ended the trip viewing the Black Sea, in Constanta. That day, we were transferred to our hotel in Bucharest for an overnight before departing for our flight home. The transfer was by deluxe train. Bucharest was a real surprise. The magnificent buildings and parks are being restored. It is a busy city, much like Paris. The hotel was not central, but very nice. Our last dinner was at a lovely restored palace, with an excellent musical concert.

I did not go into detail re each and every special event. There were many cultural and educational sessions, like a visit to the Opera house in Budapest with a lovely opera singer preforming, a visit to an Orthodox church in Bulgaria with another performance by the church quartet singers/chanters. In Prague, we went to Mass (our choice) in the most lavishly baroque church (oldest in Prague), with an organ performance before the service.

Getting home: a loooong 24 hours of being awake and traveling. We had to get up at 3:30 am (hotel in Bucharest).

I would classify this type of trip as very educational, not at all like the ocean going vessels. I am glad we went, but would not repeat.

If any specific questions, please post and I will try and answer.

Grace

I was glad to see your review of the Grand Circle "Eastern Europe to the Black Sea" trip. My husband and I are scheduled to depart home 8/15 for that trip. We will be on the Adagio. We were not able to get the Prague pre-trip option, as it was sold out. Did you take the optional tour to Holloko? If so, what is your opinion of it? Also, in the brochure the tour to Szentendre (from Budapest) sounds like an option but doesn't refer to an extra charge for it. Did you take it?

We did not take the trip to Holloko, however, on another GCT trip we did take it. You go to a little town in the hills, the ladies of the town don costumes and entertain with dances. You then go through their re-constructed village and see how they lived in the past. Then you go to a home hosted lunch. As I recall, there was another stop to tour a little town. Those that did take the trip said it was interesting and enjoyable.

The trip to Szentendre is an included tour. You will be driven by bus to the town that consists of cobble stone streets with lots of little shops, restaurants, etc. The walk up to the square is a gradual slope. On the square there is a Greek Church that you can go into (admission charge), and some restaurants. It was very crowded when we were there, with many tour groups. Prior to going to the town, we stopped at a diamond factory/showroom. (just another jewelry store)This would be one of the places for souvenier purchases,(the town shops, not jewelry store) as the only place we found on the river towards Bucharest was in Bulgaria.

I like to buy unusual antique jewelry, and did find a necklace in an antique shop in Bulgaria. There are also many antique shops in Szcedentre.

In regards to the hotel in Budapest: the Novotel. The food in the restaurant is really very good. We went to a buffet style restaurant just down the street recommended by GCT guides, and it was not very good, and was expensive.

As we were crusing the river toward Bucharest, we met up with the Adagio. Both ships stopped and passed groceries back and forth. We talked to the pax standing on the upper decks.

If you have any other questions, I will be glad to answer.

Re hairdryers: yes, all the hotels had them, as well as the ship. The one on the ship is a plug in type, not in the bathroom. It is with the vanity in the cabin. All were adequate and powerful.

Archived