Portland & Chowder

scgirlatheart

Does anybody know if taxis will be readily available when we get off the ship in Portland? Any suggestions for a restaurant that would have really good chowder? That's my husband's only request for this port. I understand that the shopping/restaurant district is an easy walk from the ship, but my husband is disabled and can't walk any distance comfortably.

Yes, the taxis are available right at the cruise ship terminal in Portland. You get off the ship and travel a short distance along the pier apron to get to the main gate of the cruise terminal. Taxis are lined up and waiting just outside the gate.

Plenty of places to get Chowder in town, one the the favorites is Gilbert's Chowder House - they are a local as well as visitor favorite - rather unpretentious. Chowder is served either in styrofoam bowls, or the largest portion comes in a bread bowl. They have clam, seafood and corn chowders as well as standard seafood and burgers. (They are just up the street from the cruise ship terminal - almost the same distance from the ship's gangway to the gate as it is from the gate to Gilberts. Don't think a taxi driver will want to take you there because the fare is so small.)

If you really want to get away from the crowds, have a good cup of chowder, AND a fantastic view (unless it's foggy - then no view), take the cab over to Joe's Boathouse in South Portland. It's a pricier meal - you're paying for the view, but it's a nice ride with super view of Portland Harbor.

I also suggest Gilbert's Chowder House. It's right on Commercial St. (where the ship docks) Disembark the ship and take a left. It's only a couple buildings away from the pier. I work in Portland if you have any other Portland questions.

Archived