Trip Report From Golden Princess

JimP

The following is an excerpt from my trip report on Golden Princess Oct. 3-10:

St. Maaten – Our shopping day. Not a good choice unless you are a dedicated shopper. Front Street is torn up and at the rate they are going it will be that way for a good while. Every other store is a jewelry store. I stopped at one of the electronics shops recommended on this board to price a camcorder; I had been looking at a Sony Mini in the states. Sony’s retail price is $595. On the internet I found the camera one time at $405 and its regularly listed at around $450. The price in the store was $695. I asked the clerk if the price was in some other currency; he asked what I thought I ought to pay; I responded under $400; he walked away. It turned out shopping for us was much better in St. Thomas. Much more laid back. We did go to the Guava Berry Shop and purchased a guava berry colada. Very tasty but convinced us that we didn’t want to purchase all the ingredients necessary to concoct the drink when we got home. If you are going to walk to or from town, I would recommend walking to town. You end up on the end of Front Street that has the nicest shops. We took the water taxi to town and ended up in the middle of Front Street. We shopped it to the left only to find out that the better shops were to the right. By the time we got to the end of Front Street we were a long way from the Water Taxi and still a pretty long walk to the ship.

Archived