Arcadia J519 4th nov Barbados / Pictures from Arcadia requested

Desirezie

Hello everyone,

I will be goining the J519 cruise on the Arcadia, Leaving from Barbados 4t nov. Is anyone else? We're from Holland.

Anyone who has been on the ship before. Do you have pictures from the ship? Especially from inside. It doesn't matter that people are on it. Just am curious to see as much from it as possible. Also the cabins. We are having the C2 cabin so a wheelchair outside balcony cabin. But all pictures are welcome. You can mail it to: desirezie@gmail.com

Is the coffee you can make in your room alright?

Any comments, tips or information that will come in handy?

• 2 weeks later...

Er don't know if I got this in the correct place but any way here goes...

Just got back from 5 days on Arcadia around Europe (2nd Sept) in fact.

The ship is really nice although a few older passengers said they prefered other P&O ships.

We have lots of pictures but few inside but you will NOT be disapointed believe me!

As regards the coffee in the cabins there is a lot all instant though - and I drank tea in the morning and beer for the rest of the day!

The Meridian dining room was excellent as was the Belvedere food court and the service was faultless.

The bars (I love um)were eaqually superb.

We had a balcony cabin on deck 5 (d deck) which again was excellent with a wonderful stewardess.

The send off from Rotterdam at 11 oclock at night was something to remember as u sail passed some bars and it was saturday night! We really enjoyed that port especially when we popped into the New york hotel (if you have visited this city you will now what a fun place it can be) there are loads of areas in this old hotel which is right on the docks.

Sorry if this post is a bit rambling but it is my first! The ship is a lot like the QM2 which we did Southampton to NY in April but this time we were able to use the out door facilities due to the wonderful weather.

YOU will enjoy Arcadia I promise.

One last thing..The shows are the best we have ever seen and the Paladium is really special. It leaves the QM2 behind!

Soory about the pics but I not 2 sure how 2 post them.

Anymore I can help with just say.

Medon

Interesting report. Having only viewed Arcadia back in April prior to her launch I can tell you that she is stunning. We liked her so much so that we immediately came off and booked for next summer. Have cruised with P & O now for approx 15 years and I think I can say with my hand on my heart that I have never had cause to complain about them. Always find the staff cheerful and helpful. Have not seen the theatre company so no comments until I do. I do know that the theatre companies on the other P & O ships have improved greatly over the past couple of years. They seem to have finally got their act together!! Interesting to hear that you think Arcadia is like the QM2 as we are off on her two weeks tomorrow (actually going down to Southampton 2 weeks today - yippee)!! Hope to see some of her outdoor facilities with a bit of luck!! What did you think of the food on the QM2 compared say with Arcadia - better, worse, about the same as each other??

Elaine

Elaine

Presume that you was at the dedication of Arcadia in Southhampton?

Yes she is really superb,similar to QM2 perhaps because she was going to be Victoria.

The QM2 is a more cosmetpolitan ship..well on trans Atlantic at least so the food tends to reflect this but the Meridian is very similar to the Brittania on QM2 but larger, you will notice the width throughout the ship.

Service is equal on both ships but service for breakfast on Arcadia is better.

I can only speak for the Brittania cos we prefer to eat in the dining room but they seem to have a problem with toast,oh and Cunard forgot the gratefruit so there was none on the Atlantic trip although an American lady kept asking if they had Gratefruit yet bless her!

Arcadia shows are really out of this world, don't expect the same on QM2.They are a bit American so you won't have to think too much.

They are both ships in their own right,both lovable,QM2 has a querky slight rolling motion (North Atlantic anyway)that lulls you to sleep and you don't want to get up in the morning.

One thing or complaint abpout Arcadia was the shops..The assistants could be a little rude and were constantly bickering between theirselves which I found a bit anoying. We really have to save to go on cruises so we did

not want that!

Anyway enjoy the white glove service and have a lovely time ,oh,and take the audio tour which matches the paintings and pictures on the walls Cunard really go to town with their paintings and history.Also super models of old Cunard ships.

We are hoping to go on QE2 next year.That was our first liner,she is a really nice old lady(as probaly Arcadia will be one day.

Elaine

The bit about Britannia dinind room should have indicated it is larger than Meridian on the Arcadia..Oh and I should have used the spell check but I am sure you will understand the post.

Never did get the hang of that spelling business at school!

Medon

Don't worry about the spelling thing!! Mine was always Maths!! Could never see the point in algebra and logarithms and quite rightly so!!! Have never had to use them ever since school so what was the point!!??

Anyway, I guessed that the Britannia was a much larger dining room than the meridian.

We are Gold Portunus members and managed to get tickets to view Arcadia through a ballot. We were also lucky enough to get lunch too. Being in Gold portunus club does have some advantages!! We weren't lucky enough though to be at the actual naming ceremony!! Maybe we have to reach some tier that hasn't even been thought up yet for that!!

Maybe the old lady thought they were going to airlift some grapefruit in!! Bless!!

We are used to going down to the caribbean from Southampton so I am expecting some movement on the QM2. I did not book one of the grander suites for this reason. I always try to stick to the middle of the middle of the ships because there tends to be slightly less movement. So we are on deck 5 us in a hull balcony cabin and our children (19 and 21) in an inside cabin!! They know there place!!!!!

You say that the service is pretty much equal. This then brings me to my tipping dilemma!! On Cunard they charge approx £6.50 per day pp and on P & O only £3.75 per day pp!! Of course P & O you settle tips with your stewards directly but on Cunard they charge to your account. Did you settle directly or leave it to be added to your account??

Sounds to me that the shop staff on Arcadia aren't happy in their work or they would not be bickering!! Maybe they were new on board and were having problems getting on with each other!!

We have been on both QE2 and Canberra. Both graceful, but as with Canberra in her final days, QE2 is too beginning to show her age (IMO). It's a shame that Canberra was sent to be cut up and used for scrap metal. She would have come in handy in New Orleans right now!!!!!!!

Elaine

i am new to this cruising thing my wife and i are on the arcadia on the 4 nov as a 25 aniversary treat to are selfs .is it worth while booking trips with p&o or wait till you get there, any info or cruising tips would be appreciated:)

Stav

There are two lines of thought on this so I will give you them both and you can make up your own mind.

In virtually every port there will be taxis available. These taxis will happily take you around the islands often for less than the ship organised tours. They can often take you to areas off the beaten track and, being locals they know where the best views etc. are. The disadvantages though are that sometimes you may not get access to an attraction (because the cruise ships have booked up all the spaces) and the ship will not wait for a taxi (if you get delayed). Also make sure you agree a price up front and cofirm the currency you are dealing in (caribbean or american dollars).

On the other side if you book the ships tours you get what they present to you in the brochure, the ship will wait for you if the tour gets delayed, it may be the only way to get access to some attractions and overall it is often less hassle. However you will porbably pay a premium in the price. The question is whether or not to book online or wait until you are on board. I would suggest booking on line because the queues on board can be long and I personally do not want to waste good relaxation time by standing in a queue also, some of the more popular tours can fill up pretty quickly (and you do not want to be disappointed). The tickets are delivered to your stateroom and, should you change your mind, you can return the tickets to the tour desk at least 48 hours before the tour to cancel (this happens on other lines and I am guessing P&O are the same ... but check). The other advantage is that the cost of the tours is simply added to your room so you don't have to pay until the end of the holiday.

Ken

Archived