July 5th crossing anyone else going?

juneann

My 2 friends and I will be there with bells on! Juneann, I've read that you've already gotten your travel documents, but as we're travelling w/our local AAA group, ours haven't arrived yet. I'm getting antsy for them though! I can't believe it's only 2 weeks from this Monday!

KK

Well, we were told we should get them about two weeks prior to sailing, so I figured I'd give them until Tuesday or Wednesday before I started bugging them. Our TA has been really on top of things, so I'm not worried (yet).

We're getting there, readiness-wise. I think we all still have a few odds and ends left to pick up, like toiletries, etc. I want to start packing next weekend. Work's been so busy lately, I'm too exhausted at night to get much done during the week. Packing is going to be a bit of a challenge too as we're touring England for 8 more days after arriving in Southampton. I don't relish lugging our formalwear around once we're off the ship!

How about you? Are you ready yet?

KK

Yes, in the sense that I've got everything I need either purchased or selected. I figure that I will have the weekend to pack since we leave on a Monday. There would still be time to get last minute items.
We are only staying 4 days in London so we won't have to move our luggage around. Once you're on your tour, won't they handle all your luggage?

It looks like we are the only people going on this trip...or else none of them are cruise critic readers.

Yes, the tour company will be handling our luggage once we're in England, but it's just the idea that our formalwear will be taking up so much room in our luggage (and valuble souvenir space!) when we won't have a need for it any longer. We looked into consolidating it all for the three of us into one suitcase and sending it home, but the cost was very prohibitive. We'll make do!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KitKatK:
...but it's just the idea that our formalwear will be taking up so much room in our luggage (and valuble souvenir space!) when we won't have a need for it any longer. We looked into consolidating it all for the three of us into one suitcase and sending it home, but the cost was very prohibitive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's really wonderful to read about this logistical problem in 2004.

I don't know if you were aware, but originally 'steamer trunks' were not just what you brought on board the ship for your crossing (if you were in the appropriate class) -- but people would pack their formal wear into them, and the shipping companies like Cunard would simply store them at the docks for the next/return crossing when the fancy clothes would again be required.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but I just recently learned about it and wanted to share it with you. The whole 'steamer trunk' thing was obviously a lot more practical than first meets the eye.

This does [B]not[/B], however, fully explain why the Duke and Duchess of Windsor (I believe) required 87 steamer trunks for their crossings on QM1.

Crouton

P.S. It's still [url="http://www.steamertrunkmerchants.com/Trunks/steamers.htm"]an option[/url].

[This message was edited by Crouton on 06-21-04 at 09:55 PM.]

Crouton wrote:
"Maybe this is common knowledge, but I just recently learned about it and wanted to share it with you. The whole 'steamer trunk' thing was obviously a lot more practical than first meets the eye."

Ah yes, I was obviously born *way* too late for my time...

A steamer trunk would solve my dilemma perfectly. This practice needs to be reinstated!

Thanks for the history lesson, Crouton!

KK

P.S., Juneann - Our documents arrived last Thursday, so our travel agency held a small reception on Tuesday night to hand everything out and go over the details. We have about 45 people going in our group, so it was nice to meet everyone beforehand. 11 days and counting!

Archived