veil....or no veil.....opinions please?!

Hello everyone!

As some of you know DH and I will be renewing our wedding on the beautiful island of Aruba on February 14, 2007 while in port while on our cruise aboard the Celebrity Galaxy.

I have most everything planned out and am very excited. When we got married the "first" time I didn't want the whole big church wedding so I'm glad this time around we are doing it the way we want it. I just can't decide what to do about the veil. I thought I knew what I wanted until a couple of days ago...... I (thought) I had everything figured out. I have my dress picked out. For those of you who are interested it is at:

www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2341&prodgroup=159

Nothing fancy, just something nice and simple, tea length and appropriate for the beach. The ceremony will be at sunset right on the beach, we will both be barefoot. I'm wearing a tiara and my hair will be half up/half down. Now my new concern is.......should I wear a veil?? I wasn't going to in the beginning but then I started thinking about it and I realized that a veil can give the illusion of certain things LOL Like I'm not exactly a slim person and I know that a veil can draw attention away from the middle of your body (exactly the place on my body where I don't want all the attention to be on) SOOO I don't know what to do.....

Can anyone give me any advice?? I mean I'm not totally against a veil but I'm not totally in favor of one either. I just can't make up my mind. My husband is one of those "I don't care" kind of guys (I've already asked him) LOL so I thought I'd take it to the boards! LOL So help me out there all your friends in board land!

I appreciate all the help!

bulldogmom--

Your dress is beautiful! It will be so perfect for a beachy wedding. The veil dilemma is a tough one and I had a hard time deciding too. I ordered one online and absolutely hated it so I thought I didn't want one. My mom and friends talked me into going to try some on with my dress at David's Bridal and I found one that I totally fell in love with. My decision was made for me when I put it on. Maybe you could go take your dress and try some on? Take your tiara too so you can get a good idea. You could also have someone take pictures with and without the veil so that you can look at them later and that might help. It's such a personal choice and a decision that only you can make. You don't want to regret it either way later. Hope that helps...by the way, my name is Brooke too! :)

The bottom line is that you should do what you feel is right for you.

But, since you were looking for opinions, I'll throw out these general comments...

1 - Veils that cover the face (blusher style) are not generally considered "the norm" for an already married woman. It supposedly symbolizes virginity in a way that makes "wearing white" seem a thing of the past. However, many veils are not that style, so you have some latitude there.

2 - I personally think that using an accessory to attempt to distract from your natural beauty and YES, I mean your curves, is not the way to approach it. Celebrate your beauty as it is, and don't use a veil to distract from your bridal radiance. Only wear it it if it enhances the style/look. A veil wont conceal a thing that it doesn't cover, but your confidence and happiness will make you most beautiful on your big day.

Side note, I did not wear a veil, but only because it wasn't me, and as a practical matter, I didn't want it blowing in my face on the beach. And if I wanted to look thinner at my wedding, I would have worn black - lol!

Whatever you decide, love the look!

I would say NO to the veil. I think of the veil being part of a very formal wedding or vow renewal. Since you will be barefoot, I would forego the veil. How about a beautiful flower in your hair or a headpiece with ribbons + tiny flowers. Just a thought.

The dress is beautiful.

We are renewing our vows later this summer, can't wait. It will be done by the ship's captain.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I was reading through this board and hopefully you are still around.

I have seen that you did your vow renewal in Aruba.

My fiancé and I want to get married in Aruba as well and wanted to know if you enjoyed the servises of 2GO weddings and if you had a location to recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Caroline

Archived