Port of Miami Wheelchair Assistance

CrazyMums

How would I go about getting wheelchair assistance at the Port of Miami for embarkation and debarkation? Is this something the cruise line takes care of or the Port? My Mom can walk for short periods but will require assistance at the port. When we sailed from Port Canaveral, we just asked when we got there but Miami is so much bigger, I'm not sure that would work. She does have handicap parking privileges per the State. We sail 2/20 on the Valor. Thanks!

Usually you just need to ask a porter or a Carnival rep at the pier for a wheelchair. However, have you considered either taking or renting a wheelchair or even a scooter for use on board and/or on shore? It would make it much easier for your mother.

Also, are you aware that the Port of Miami allows the disabled to park for free? Just show your mother's handicap id to the parking lot attendant.

Usually you just need to ask a porter or a Carnival rep at the pier for a wheelchair. However, have you considered either taking or renting a wheelchair or even a scooter for use on board and/or on shore? It would make it much easier for your mother.

Also, are you aware that the Port of Miami allows the disabled to park for free? Just show your mother's handicap id to the parking lot attendant.

Thank you for the info, especially the free parking. I've never heard that mentioned anywhere.

I am sailing on the Voyager on March 26 and am renting an electric scooter. I have foot problems and it is hard for me to walk a long distance. The other day I called Care Vacations in Miami and they are going to have an electric scooter waiting in my room and when we leave I just leave it in there. Before I have just asked a porter to take me in a wheelchair from the bus to the ship and they were glad to do that. If you need to rent any kind of handicap equipment then just give them a call (1-877-478-7827) or go to their web site and it shows everything they have. I had reserved an electric cart with them three years ago and because of sickness I couldn't make the trip and they were real nice about cancelling. Good luck and HAPPY SAILING!!!

The other day I called Care Vacations in Miami and they are going to have an electric scooter waiting in my room and when we leave I just leave it in there.

Thank you. I'll keep the number handy. I contacted my TA and they have made arrangements for the wheelchair at the port. My Mom is stubborn and doesn't feel she needs a chair or scooter on the ship - that may change though. I'd rather have one just in case she found she did need it. I made the port arrangements and then told her I had. We have had one at the port for the last couple of cruises but we just flagged someone down once we got there. Our cruise is during a winter break for some states so I was afraid we'd have more trouble. Thanks again and enjoy your cruise!

• 2 months later...

Just wondering how the 3/26 Voyager sailing was for "Checks". Sailing soon and am wondering about wheelchair accessibility throughout ship. Room available in showroom for chairs/scooters? Any feedback appreciated.

Archived