Religious Holiday in Turkey

Roo

I was just made aware of the religious holiday Eid Al--Adha takes place around Nov. 6 - 7 (2011) and lasts for a few days. We were thinking of extending our holiday after the cruise to stay in Istanbul (at this time) for a few days to tour a bit more. I am assuming that most residents will be going to congregational Eid prayers and be having family get-togethers.

Does anyone have any knowledge about how this affects the city - would most sites/things be closed at least on the first and/or second day? I assume the city would be much more crowded at this time as well?

Thanks.

I was just made aware of the religious holiday Eid Al--Adha takes place around Nov. 6 - 7 (2011) and lasts for a few days. We were thinking of extending our holiday after the cruise to stay in Istanbul (at this time) for a few days to tour a bit more. I am assuming that most residents will be going to congregational Eid prayers and be having family get-togethers.

Does anyone have any knowledge about how this affects the city - would most sites/things be closed at least on the first and/or second day? I assume the city would be much more crowded at this time as well?

Thanks.

If you post this question on the Europe /Other Mediterranean Ports section you might get some answers. I'm also anxious to know what will be open. Will be there pre cruise Nov 4-5 and an overnight on the ship Nov 6th. Is this the same as the Sacrifice Holiday? It's Nov 6-9,2011.

I wrote to a tour guide in Istanbul and received the following reply to my question about the holiday and whether they advised to do extra touring before or after our cruise. Here is the reply:

Nov 6th, 7th, 8th & 9th is a religious holiday here.

not that Turks are religious people...

let me correct this phrase...

Turks do not live their lives with religious motives...

it is more like Christmas for them and this is the time when they all travel...

the city is deserted.

More importantly, other than some isolated sections of the city (such as the touristy Old City), nothing will be open.

no local restaurants, no local shops will be open.

Grand Bazaar, Spice Market, none of the market areas will be open.

Major museums will be opened from Nov 7th onwards but a city is not made of museums only.

A city is its people, its streets, its local cafe houses, its shops... this is what makes Istanbul such an attractive city.

So, yes, without any questioning, visiting Istanbul around Oct 25th, you will find our city to be much more atttractive

I wrote to a tour guide in Istanbul and received the following reply to my question about the holiday and whether they advised to do extra touring before or after our cruise. Here is the reply:

Nov 6th, 7th, 8th & 9th is a religious holiday here.

not that Turks are religious people...

let me correct this phrase...

Turks do not live their lives with religious motives...

it is more like Christmas for them and this is the time when they all travel...

the city is deserted.

More importantly, other than some isolated sections of the city (such as the touristy Old City), nothing will be open.

no local restaurants, no local shops will be open.

Grand Bazaar, Spice Market, none of the market areas will be open.

Major museums will be opened from Nov 7th onwards but a city is not made of museums only.

A city is its people, its streets, its local cafe houses, its shops... this is what makes Istanbul such an attractive city.

So, yes, without any questioning, visiting Istanbul around Oct 25th, you will find our city to be much more atttractive

Thanks for sharing this info...

Archived