Any point??

Rambo1985

I really want to do a cruise to Antarctic, I have been reading quite a lot of threads on cc.

One question that I keep asking myself is, is there any point doing a cruise to antarctic on a big ship when it doesn't do any landings.

I would appreciate any help from somebody who has done a cruise on a big ship to let me know if it's worth it??

I really want to do a cruise to Antarctic, I have been reading quite a lot of threads on cc.

One question that I keep asking myself is, is there any point doing a cruise to antarctic on a big ship when it doesn't do any landings.

I would appreciate any help from somebody who has done a cruise on a big ship to let me know if it's worth it??

Yes, I believe there is a point.

We thoroughly enjoyed our Big Ship, no landings cruise over New Years 2004/2005.

Our cruise also included stops at the Falkland Islands, Ushuaia, the Beagle channel and Chilean Fjords, Plus Punta Arenas and Puerto Montt. All the stops were very good and Antartctica was fantastic.

We have friends who have been on several Princess trips over the years. They keep going back for more.

We were due to visit again early next year on HA Amsterdam.

We changed our minds and for our second visit and have decided to splurge on a 100 passenger Expedition ship, Orion.

Expedition cruising is expensive. Our daily rate is roughly 4 times what we were paying on Holland America. (and there are much more expensive ships).

If we had to choose between a so called 'drive by' cruise and not going at all, we would definitely choose the drive-by option.

Be warned though, you will want to visit again!

Cheers,

Steve.

There are many, many discussions on this board, the South America and also the Holland America board - just keep reading back or do a search on Antarctica on the HAL board.

You will find a variety of opinions. We loved our Veendam "drive by" - we really didn't want to damage the fragile Antarctic environment by landing - but you will find strong arguments to the contrary.

A great "drive-by" blog with lots of pix is this one, and she discusses the same topic.

http://bescotti.blogspot.com/

see the Jan 27 entry.

Archived