Lightweight Travel Chair on Plane

SHINEMAN

Hello Shineman,

I'm not an expert as others on this board are. We have taken our chair to South America and Florida. It depends on the airline. I wheel my husband up to the door of the plane. I ask if they can put the chair in the closet. Sometimes they do. Mostly not. Haven't had any damage yet. Couple of scratches. Take off the footrests and keep them in overhead bin. Some people have told me to wrap the armrests in bubble wrap. Inspect the chair thoroughly after they bring it back to you. Like the other poster said get off early and watch that noone takes your chair. I never did that, but will start now.

Have a great flight and alway ask the airline reps alot of questions!

Under the ACAA, airplanes with 100 or more seats must have room for one folding wc. Most stow it in the closet, but a few airlines use a row of seats an some aircraft. The catch is, there is only room for one wc, and with more and more wheelers traveling these days, sometimes there's more than one wc to stow. In that case, it's first-come first-serve. In reality I think you always run the risk of getting your wc stowed below. Unfortunately those travel chairs are pretty flimsy, (and are hard to push and don'ty allow independence) so you might think of investing in a sturdier manual wheelchair if you want to travel by air.

Here are some tips for protecting your wc when you travel:

http://emerginghorizons.com/book/sample.php

Candy

Archived