Question about scooters & planes

daju22

Hi everyone,

Can you please tell me about your experiences taking your scooters on planes?

We will be taking our new scooter with us on Southwest Airlines to San Diego in November.

Can you ride the scooter to the plane and then it goes in the hold or do you have to check it with the baggage when you first get in the airport? What about the folding wheelchair we're also bringing?

Just wondering if anyone has any hints to make it easier.

Thanks for you help.

Hi Judy,

We have taken my scooter on a plane about ten times now, and have not had problems, except twice! :) I always call the airline when I book and tell them about my scooter, and make a follow up call a couple of days ahead, just to make sure it is in my record. When I check my bags, I tell them about my scooter, that I wish to ride it to the gate, and ask them to do the paperwork which must be attached. Sometimes they do that at the check in desk, and sometimes at the gate. Even if I have the paperwork, I tell them at the gate check in desk that I am there, and they either do the paperwork, or check the paperwork, and then load me first, so they can take the scooter and have plenty of time to stow it below. I ride it right up to the gate, and then they take it to put underneath, and give me my key. (I ask them to bring me the key. Sometimes I keep the key, and they freewheel it to the plane) It is delivered to me at the gate when I disembark from the plane. This works well as long as they have a power lift up to the plane. If they don't, they will bring it to the gate area for me, and I will either "run" up the ramp (that's a big joke), or one of the wheelchair pushers will push me up to the gate area in a wheelchair.

I have copied my instruction manual, and wired it onto my basket. They always disconnect the battery, and sometimes get a bit carried away disconnecting stuff, and need to know how to put it back together. I know how to put it all together, so it is not a problem, and it is usually delivered to me ready to go. My seat is not attached to the scooter, so I also taped an instruction sheet to the back of the seat..........they have to fold it down to get it into the plane, saying that it is not attached, and not to pick the scooter up by the seat. (Guy sitting next to the window on one flight saw them do that, offered to testify if I needed proof.............but scooter, thank heavens, was fine)

The two problems I had was that once, someone taped all my wires together to cover the plugs, and just left my scooter at baggage. We had nothing to cut the tape off, and couldn't unwind it. There was noone around that had any tools. We were very fortunate to find a man with a turban and very long fingernails (euwwwww) who offered to slit the tape, and did. I think otherwise, we would have missed our cruise. I do carry some wheelchair type tools, but nothing that would cut that tape.

The other time was that one of my wires must have had a short in it, as the scooter would not turn left, and would not go backwards. Luckily I was at my home airport, and with some creative right turns, I got to the car. I did report it at the baggage claim office, they told me to have it fixed and they would reimburse us as soon as we brought the bill. We did, and they did, on the spot.......

OH< big reminder........do put your name and address on the scooter. I used a bunch of address labels and put them all over the place.........including making sure I have at least one on each section of the scooter. Oh, I also have scratches, and I think they are to be expected.

This sounds like a lot, but it's really easy, and you'll be a pro after your first time.

Have a great trip...........I know you and your DH are going to enjoy having that scooter.

Hi DesrtDrmr! You always help out! Just some questions about your reply:

Hi Judy,

We have taken my scooter on a plane about ten times now, and have not had problems, except twice! :) I always call the airline when I book and tell them about my scooter, and make a follow up call a couple of days ahead, just to make sure it is in my record. When I check my bags, I tell them about my scooter, that I wish to ride it to the gate, and ask them to do the paperwork which must be attached. What kind of paperwork? Do we have to bring anything from home?

Do you have any problems with security?

Sometimes they do that at the check in desk, and sometimes at the gate. Even if I have the paperwork, I tell them at the gate check in desk that I am there, and they either do the paperwork, or check the paperwork, and then load me first, so they can take the scooter and have plenty of time to stow it below. I ride it right up to the gate, and then they take it to put underneath, and give me my key. (I ask them to bring me the key. Sometimes I keep the key, and they freewheel it to the plane) Do they tell you whether they want the key or not? Seems to me that it would be better if we always keep the key and let them freewheel it.

It is delivered to me at the gate when I disembark from the plane. This works well as long as they have a power lift up to the plane. If they don't, they will bring it to the gate area for me, and I will either "run" up the ramp (that's a big joke), or one of the wheelchair pushers will push me up to the gate area in a wheelchair. If they bring it to the gate area, my husband can be pushed in our wheelchair to meet the scooter. Is that ok?

I have copied my instruction manual, and wired it onto my basket. They always disconnect the battery, and sometimes get a bit carried away disconnecting stuff, and need to know how to put it back together. I know how to put it all together, so it is not a problem, and it is usually delivered to me ready to go. I thought if you have gel batteries, that they don't disconnect them. I forget what kind of scooter you have.

My seat is not attached to the scooter, so I also taped an instruction sheet to the back of the seat..........they have to fold it down to get it into the plane, saying that it is not attached, and not to pick the scooter up by the seat. (Guy sitting next to the window on one flight saw them do that, offered to testify if I needed proof.............but scooter, thank heavens, was fine)Will make sure that instruction sheets are copied and put on the scooter. Did you laminate them?

The two problems I had was that once, someone taped all my wires together to cover the plugs, and just left my scooter at baggage. We had nothing to cut the tape off, and couldn't unwind it. There was noone around that had any tools. We were very fortunate to find a man with a turban and very long fingernails (euwwwww) who offered to slit the tape, and did. I think otherwise, we would have missed our cruise. I'm amazed that his nails were so sharp the they could cut tape! I'm surprised that they weren't confiscated:eek: ! How gross! I do carry some wheelchair type tools, but nothing that would cut that tape.

The other time was that one of my wires must have had a short in it, as the scooter would not turn left, and would not go backwards. Luckily I was at my home airport, and with some creative right turns, I got to the car. I did report it at the baggage claim office, they told me to have it fixed and they would reimburse us as soon as we brought the bill. We did, and they did, on the spot.......

OH< big reminder........do put your name and address on the scooter. Will do! I used a bunch of address labels and put them all over the place.........including making sure I have at least one on each section of the scooter. Oh, I also have scratches, and I think they are to be expected.

This sounds like a lot, but it's really easy, and you'll be a pro after your first time. Thanks for all your help. It does get easier after the first time. Went through the same thing with our wheelchair.

Have a great trip...........I know you and your DH are going to enjoy having that scooter.

We really benefit from your experiences! Hope all goes well with you and yours!

Hi Judy,

Paperwork is something the airline does. You don't need anything. They do inspect the batteries and make sure they are gel cell, but most of the time they STILL tape the wires off. I think having the gel cell batteries just means that we don't have to remove the batteries and box them separately. We started bringing our own tape and offering to do it for them......sometimes they are receptive to this, sometimes not, and sometimes, its just done after they've taken the scooter away.

When I go through security, they ALWAYS search me, and the scooter.......even if I volunteer to walk through the scanner. It's a royal pain! I don't see this happen to men as often as women.......whatever that means!

Sometimes they don't take the key, but sometimes, depending on the airline and airport, it's a long way to the nearest frieght elevator, and the woman working at the gate, in her high heels, has to take it, so we never fuss. I do have extra keys.......POINT: Have extra keys made and always have a couple with you!!!! (Unless you dont have a key :)

I did not laminate the sheets, I just figured I could run another copy if I had to. I just punched a hole in the corner, and used a twist tie to attach to the inside of the mesh basket. I do carry one extra copy in my travel folder for that trip.

The man with the long nails seemed to be dressed to conform to a religious belief. They did look kind of icky, but they were clean, and we were REALLY appreciative of his kind offer to help.

It is fine that your husband is pushed in his wheelchair. The good thing about using an airport wheelchair is that YOU don't have to push, while corraling all of your travel items.

I'm sure that the other, more experienced, posters on this board will have other good tips for you.............mine are just what I've learned from other posters, and have experienced myself. Glad to pass on whatever I can.

Hi Judy,

I have only flown SWA with my scooter, a Pride Sonic. But we have flown many times with them. When my DH makes our reservations he always tells them that I travel with the scooter but that's all. No fuss no problems. I check in at the ticket counter; and the paperwork is done there -- the brand and model of the scooter and the condition and the battery type are the main questions on the form. The Pride Sonic has gel cell batteries and because of that nothing further has to be done to them.

The red heavy cardstock tag copy is attached to the scooter and the original is attached to the ticket envelope or the baggage claim ticket. I ride the scooter to the security screening area. Normally the scooter is checked and I get the wand or get patted down. No big deal. In fact alot of the time, I ride the scooter to one area, leave it for them to check and walk through the long lines. But if I stay with the scooter, by the time my DH has gone through security I am waiting on him. Only once in awhile will there be a problem -- just don't wear shoes that have to be tied, ie tennis shoes. Wear slip-ons if at all possible.

When I get to the gate, and in the area for preboarding, I am given a claim ticket for the scooter and the claim tag hung with the tag showing condition, etc. I always request that the scooter be delivered to me at the gate at our destination and there is a yellow tag showing "CLAIM AT GATE" hung on the scooter. I then am the first to board the plane, riding the scooter down to the door; I always put the scooter in free wheel, drop the back of the seat and lower the tiller for them and TAKE THE KEY WITH ME. The scooter goes down with any strollers, etc. and is normally the first thing that is brought up right at the door when we arrive at the destination.

We have been very pleased with SWA and the way their employees have handled my scooter. They make flying very easy and I never hesitate taking my scooter with me. The scooter still looks brand new and the only scratch on it is one that I did myself.

Good luck and if you have any questions, ask away -- hopefully we can answer them.

BTW, re the batteries -- once you tell SWA that they are gel cell, nothing more is done - no taping, no disconnecting, no nothing. They're great.

Hi Dsrt,

Busy weekend trying out Dave's new scooter at the mall. Such a pleasure for him and me!

I don't see this happen to men as often as women.......whatever that means! Dave always gets searched because he has a hard time walking through the scanner without bumping the sides. Poor guy-he has a hard time taking his shoes off! Sometimes he gets through before me. That was when we only had a wheelchair.

Thanks for all your time trying to help this first timer. I'm sure it will be ok. Just nice to know things. I have to call Southwest today and tell them we're bring a scooter.

Where do you get spare keys made? That's a great idea.

I'm afraid to leave the scooter outside the men's room since it can be wheeled away so easily. We take turns guarding it-same for you? Just taking the key wouldn't stop anyone I don't think.

Thanks again,

Hi M&M,

Thank you for your help! Since our Go Go is very similar to your Pride scooter, the info is extremely valuable for our first flight.

Hi Judy,

I have only flown SWA with my scooter, a Pride Sonic. But we have flown many times with them. When my DH makes our reservations he always tells them that I travel with the scooter but that's all. No fuss no problems. I check in at the ticket counter; and the paperwork is done there -- the brand and model of the scooter and the condition and the battery type are the main questions on the form. The Pride Sonic has gel cell batteries and because of that nothing further has to be done to them.

Glad to hear the batteries won't be touched. I couldn't figure out why they'd tape them since the whole pack can be lifted off without making any connections-it's just velcroed onto the deck to make the connection to the scooter.

The red heavy cardstock tag copy is attached to the scooter and the original is attached to the ticket envelope or the baggage claim ticket. I ride the scooter to the security screening area. Normally the scooter is checked and I get the wand or get patted down. No big deal. In fact alot of the time, I ride the scooter to one area, leave it for them to check and walk through the long lines. But if I stay with the scooter, by the time my DH has gone through security I am waiting on him. Only once in awhile will there be a problem -- just don't wear shoes that have to be tied, ie tennis shoes. Wear slip-ons if at all possible.

When I get to the gate, and in the area for preboarding, I am given a claim ticket for the scooter and the claim tag hung with the tag showing condition, etc. I always request that the scooter be delivered to me at the gate at our destination and there is a yellow tag showing "CLAIM AT GATE" hung on the scooter. I then am the first to board the plane, riding the scooter down to the door; I always put the scooter in free wheel, drop the back of the seat and lower the tiller for them and TAKE THE KEY WITH ME. The scooter goes down with any strollers, etc. and is normally the first thing that is brought up right at the door when we arrive at the destination. When you put the scooter in freewheel, do they just push the scooter or pull it on it's back wheels? Just wondered how they get it there.

We have been very pleased with SWA and the way their employees have handled my scooter. They make flying very easy and I never hesitate taking my scooter with me. The scooter still looks brand new and the only scratch on it is one that I did myself.

Good luck and if you have any questions, ask away -- hopefully we can answer them.

BTW, re the batteries -- once you tell SWA that they are gel cell, nothing more is done - no taping, no disconnecting, no nothing. They're great.

I see you have cruised on Celebrity. Do you take your scooter ashore or just use it on board? Any scooter tips for going ashore or using tenders with Celebrity?

Thank you,

I agree with all the comments mentioned: However, when flying international on foreign airlines I would be extra-extra careful. My experience with SAS and Air France were far more trouble then any US carrier.

Last month we flew Delta LAX to Atlanta. No problems. Excellent service. Then Air France to Paris then Paris to Copenhagen. To make a very long story short, they refused to carry the scooter from Paris to Copenhagen due to a lack of paperwork. After begging and pleading and holding up the flight for 30 minutes they finally allowed the scooter onboard. My first argument was "how in the heck to you think it got from Los Angeles to Paris?" They even asked "do you really need it?" ?!?!?!?!?!?! No, I just like to drag this 100lb machine around for the fun of it. I kept seeing visions of my vacation coming a quick end. Finally someone talked to someone to someone else and the paperwork mysteriously appeared. LESSON: next time I am getting something in writing!

Also another word of warning: Anyone with mobility issues should never, I repeat, never, go through Charles De Gaulle (CDG). A nightmare! Eventhough we were 1st class passengers, we still had to wait close to 2 hours for a wheelchair and had to traverse down a flight of stairs, into a bus, and up 2 flights to reach the wheelchair waiting area. I expected more from a major world city. Had this been New Delhi or Moscow, I would understand.

My experiences with both Delta and United have been great.

for the heads up on Charles DeGaule and Air France. Will try to stick to american or british airlines. Have to get one-way flights to London for our cruise. May just use cruise air. Much appreciation for your thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Our experience at C DeG was totally different last year We had wonderful service They took us out in some elevating box and put us on a bus and drove us to change planes seemed like we drove to Barcelona it was so far but otherwise it was a good experience Hope this helps Jo

Archived