Renting a car/jeep for the day

ctcruisers2005

There's an Avis rental office, but it is located at the airport. They will pick you up at the Blue Iguana if I remember correctly. That's next to Hard Rock, about two blocks from the pier. Figure about 30 minutes with a walk, wait for the shuttle and then a ride to the airport.

Thanks for the info.
Anyone have a link to a good map (with roads) on it for Grand Caymen?

Carival Legend Oct-2003

Carnival Valor 4/17/2005
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;4;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Hey there, just back from Grand Cayman on May 6. We rented an open-top jeep from Avis Cico and I would highly recommend it. We walked to the Blue Iguana and a rep from Avis picked us up there and took us to the airport to pick up the jeep. The jeep was in excellent shape and in just a few minutes we were off on our own. We had been to GC twice before on a cruise ship and then once on our own for 5 days, so we wanted to see something different. We printed out an offshore snorkeling guide from [url="http://www.caymanislanddiscounts.com"]www.caymanislanddiscounts.com[/url]. It was very good, they have decent maps (Avis will also give you a more detailed one) and will show you where the reefs are and how to get to them. We checked out a few and then headed up to Rum Pointe. It is great there. They have a restaurant, bar, hammocks, beach chairs, swimming, snorkeling. Then we drove back to the airport to drop off the jeep and the rep took us back to the Blue Iguana. I would highly recommend renting a jeep because you get to see more remote places that tours do not go. The island is fairly safe and the driving is not too bad (although there is a lot of traffic around Georgetown). We were glad we did it and would do it again.

Ditto from what K-mom said. I was just there May 3rd and rented a Ford Tauras (seats 6). I did have a problem with getting back in time. I was at Rum Point and the last Tender was scheduled at 3:15. I thought that by leaving at 2:15 I would have plenty of time. Big mistake, one thing lead to another and by the time we were leaving Rum point it was 2:30 pm. Rum point is the furthest you can get from the pier, eventhough it isn't far mile wise any wrong turns and your off your schedule. I would recommend that you go to Rum point early and try to stick around the pier later in the day. We got to the pier at 2:55pm and only had 20 minutes to drop the car off and get back to the pier. I called Avis to see if they could pick up the car and they said I had plenty of time to drop off the car and get back. Not knowing the roads very well, I was quite nervous but did get to the Avis place within 10 min and the driver had me back in 5min. There was a big line at the pier to catch the last tender but it seems like everyone fit and the gates to the Tender closed at 3:15, and at 3:16 the Tender left. There was one couple getting to the pier at 3:16, but they got lucky and hitched a ride with the Carnival Tender crew on a smaller boat. I would make sure next time to be in walking distance 15 min before the ship is scheduled to leave.

Archived