Our Experience on Imagination....

firsttimer2006

This was our first cruise and here is our experience(s).

We Flew from chicago via Atlanta to Miami. We flew by AA. The everything was fine until we reached Atlanta. Just before boarding the flight to Miami, our flight got cancelled from Atl to Mia due to some problem in cockpit. More than 1/2 of the passengers travelling on Cruise were on the plane. They said they would not be able to fix it and they would not be able to get another AA plane.

so some people scrambled to get hold of other air lines to see if there were any seat in any flight that was leaving ATL. Unfortunately all the flights that were leaving for mia was full and tickets were available in some flights and they were reaching Mia after 5.30 pm and our cruise was at 4 pm. We were so pissed off since it was our first cruise and were blaming ourselves why we did not think about this situation when we booked this 3 months ago.

LESSON LEARNT - DO NOT FLY ON THE DAY OF THE CRUISE. TAKE CELL PHONE CHARGER WITH YOU. We were scared that we would run out of battery charge when we were trying to find if there were any flights and customer service.

we did have travel insurance but it is not worth going thru this tremendous pressure and dont know what would happen.

Finally around 12.45 pm ESt, our air plane was fixed and was ready to take off. There were some talk that the weather in MIA was bad and the cruise ships were delaying departure.

We were calling Carnival Customer service all this time just to update what was going on. The flight took off at 1.15 pm and it justs 2 hrs to Miami. We informed this info to Customer service and they told that they will call the pier and tell that we were on the way to Miami.

well we thought we had a chance to make to the cruise, the flight almost reached miami around 2.45 pm and was circling the MIA airport for 30 min.

I was ready to hit some one and we did not want to miss the ship after going this far. I could not sit in my seat.

Then finally the plane landed at 3.15 pm. We were still thinking that we could make the ship if we can get out immediately and get our bags. We called the customer service again and said that we were in Miami and came toknow that Imagination was leaving at 4.30 pm instead of 4 pm. There was a break for us.

Not so fast.... The plane could not get the gate since the previous plane was deboarding the passengers. we lost another 15/20 min. Finally we got out.

Since we had communicated to Customer service that we were in the flight, as soon as we got out, Carnival agent received us and we all were running to the baggage claim to get our bags. We had thought we hav emade it but no fast again.

The bags arrived at the carosel after 25 min. We were asking that it was already 4 pm and if we can just go the ship and the baggage could be shipped to the next port of call.

But the Carnivel agent said that the Cruise people will give one final call saying "all the passengers should be there in next 30 min". If they get the call then all the passengers should leave for the ship with what ever they have.

luckly they did not call as of now. We got our first bag after 25 min and waiting for 2nd bag for another 10 min and we did not get the rush call from the port.

We took a taxi to the port and the taxi driver was damm slow and we were in a hurry. As soon as we neared the port, we could see our Imagination waiting for us. We were go glad and we were still running and I believe that we were the last passengers. People there were saying

not to run and we were still running thru the gates and stairs.

Finally we got on to the ship at 5 pm. We were so happy that we made it. We would have been very disappointed if we had not made it after these incidents.

The Imagination sailed at 5.45 pm. All the other ships Triumph, Norwegian, RCL were still there waiting....

There were passengers from Norwegian and waiting for bags with us. their ship was leaving after ours and their agent got the rush call and was hurrying the passengers to leave now with what all they have. I felt really sorry for those passengers. There was on couple sailing on Triumph. they also got their bags after us and I believe they made it too.

The Annas

My mom and I are taking a cruise on the Imagination on 5/8/06. Please tell me about your experience aboard the ship. Food, cabin, entertainment, state of ship, etc. I am glad they waited for you when you were running late. We too have hired Marva Shaw for our own private tour in Ocho Rios. I am glad you told us that she only takes cash and no credit cards.

No rush, but I would love to hear your review.

Thanks!!!

really impressed about Imagination. Since this is our first cruise did not know what to expect. The ship was well maintained, the shows were good, food was good and during our trip, we could not make to Caymans due to bad weather. To compensate, Imagination gave $25.00 credit per passenger.

About Marva,

She is really good. she would give you a personnal tour. She will take where ever you want. We were planning for just Dunn falls and to a beach and shopping but she took us to river tubing, and also took us around the Ocho rios country side.

Make sure you have cash for all the excursions like dunn falls entrance fees and tips, river tubing entrance fees and tips etc.

if you send me a private message with your email id i will send you the picture that we took with Marva.

My mom and I are taking a cruise on the Imagination on 5/8/06. Please tell me about your experience aboard the ship. Food, cabin, entertainment, state of ship, etc. I am glad they waited for you when you were running late. We too have hired Marva Shaw for our own private tour in Ocho Rios. I am glad you told us that she only takes cash and no credit cards.

No rush, but I would love to hear your review.

Thanks!!!

Hi Fiddlemama, the Imagination is a great ship for an older, smaller ship. We have been on the new Liberty and Valor and still loved our trips on the Imagination.

In my links below you will find photos and reviews. I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did!

Yes, it is a good idea to fly in a day early if you can!

Wow what a horrible experience. I would be freaking if that happened to me. Glad to hear it worked out though. So did you like the imagination? I will be on her with me sister in 22 days :) Do you remember how many production shows they had? What other etertainment did they have...comedians, musicians, etc? Did you go to the nightclub if so how was that? Sorry for all the questions but there are very few new reviews of the imagination on here. Got to jump whenever I see one :)

Rachel

Here's the additional info you requested on the Imagination:

There are production shows twice every night --one for late dining and one for early dining. The shows vary every night. Honestly, we didn't go to all of the shows. They had 3 comedians for the duration of our cruise. Since there are alot of kids on Carnival ships, the comedians did a family show during the regular production show and an adults only show in the lounge. The adults only show was awesome, but I have to warn you, some of the comics can talk about some sensitive subjects. They had bingo everyday and the last day of bingo, they were giving away some awesome prizes so that is worth checking out. They had a game show also which was hilarious! They also did a Carnival Legends show which features guests from the ship performing! I thought that was a show worth watching. The dance club was playing okay music the first night and then it improved later on in the week. They had a retro night one night and everyone who sat at our table for dinner all went and danced! That was very cool! There were photographers all over the ship with different sets. I recommend the one where you dress up in the western garb. In terms of places to relax on the ship, we didn't sit right around the pool to sunbathe. We went towards the back of the ship where there were 2 whirlpools and more room to relax. The food on Imagination was good. I would have to say that the desserts were my absolute favorite and I am not even a big dessert eater. Check out the midnight buffet and get in line early to go and eat there because that line got long fast. Any other questions, let us know.

• 4 months later...

I was sitting on the edge of my seat when i was reading this story. I am so glad you made it. I have had bad experiences in atl airport also. I had some friends that drove to miami after an hurricane had hit and she said her DH was jumping medians and thru wrong way traffic trying not to miss the ship:)

Archived