Renting golf carts?

nikita

I've read how you can rent golf carts to cruise around in Costa Maya. How old do you have to be to do this and are they safe to drive around the area and also how much do they charge? Thank you in advance for any info you can give me.

You can rent golf carts. I don't recall the price, but thought they were a bit expensive, and most of what you see is in walking distance within each of "Costa Maya", Mahahual (2 miles from Costa Maya) and Uvero Beach. I think it would be easier to use taxis, which are plentiful and cheap ($3/pp from Costa Maya to Mahahual).

Thanks Browe. The kids want to rent one - two 19, one 17 year old. They think it would be fun to drive around in one for the day. I don't know if it will safe or if they are even old enough to do so. Did you happen to see an age limit and does it look like it would be safe to drive these into the town Majahaul?

I don't recall an age limit, but it is an uneventful, dusty (lime from the limestone) drive with taxis shuttling passengers back and forth as fast as they can. Once you get to Mahahual, you have to leave it parked as the street is pedestrian; which introduces the potential for theft. My advice is to not rent a cart there.

We rented a cart in CM on our last visit. they rented to us for $30 for the day. we had lots of fun with it, and would do it again. it was safe, traffic is not an issue. we will probably do it again when we visit this summer. the village is a looooonnngg walk in the summer CM sun.

thanks for the information. Once you got to the village did you have to park it or were you able to drive it around a bit? Did you feel safe leaving it parked or were you worried someone might steal it? thank you!

• 3 months later...

I agree! My DH and I rented one a couple years ago and had a blast. We felt very safe and are for sure doing it again in Feb when we go to Costa Maya!!! Would highly recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

There were 9 of us so we rented 3 carts we paid 50 or 60 dollars for the day for each cart Yes, we drove on a sandy road (with a few bumps) stopped at a couple of places for a beer. Talked to others that were on golf carts, stopped along the beaches and really enjoyd ourselves. very relaxing as we got away from the crowds. had a good lunch and went back and enjoyed the shopping and pool by the pier. I loved this port and am thrilled to be going again in sept. We did not have problems with traffic.

Archived