Motel 6 in Galveston

Brentonsmom

Anyone have any info or opinions on this motel? We are looking for a clean and safe motel. Just a place to spend the night before boarding the Conquest. I don't want to spend the money the other hotels in Galveston want for one night. Motel 6 will run about 65. We will not have the time to do much sightseeing due to arriving sat evening after a 12 hr drive, so just a nice room to relax is all we need. I know there are some cities around 15-20 miles out also. Any ideas for motels on these cities?

Thank you

Tina

We stayed there a couple of years ago. It was terrible. Dirty, smelly, rundown...you name it. The kind of place you don't set your feet to the carpet unless they are shod!! And we didn't - wouldn't - shower in that place. Enough..I guess I've painted the picture.

We stayed at the Days Inn recently and it was fine. Older yet kept up and I did walk around barefoot...and showered! We are seniors and paid $46 incl. taxes for the one night. If you are looking for a reasonable, decent place to lay your head for the night, I would definately go with this one.

If it is the Motel 6 on I-45 and Harborside, I'd choose something else. If you are coming into Galveston from Houston, try checking on motels in the Clear Lake area (lots of new and almost new properties in the area around NASA/Johnson Spacecraft Center - look for addresses on Bay Area Blvd. or NASA Road #1/NASA Parkway) or in Texas City (addresses on Emmitt Lowry (sp?) Expressway). Any of those will be very close to I-45, less than 30 miles/45 minutes north of the cruise port, and much better overall.

I meant to say that the Days Inn we used was in Galveston, too. Not on the beach but if you have a car you can go wherever! There is a Days Inn a little further up 45 but I know nothing about it. I guess it depends on whether you want in stay right in Galveston the night before.

Also, Days Inn lets you leave your car there free during your cruise. No shuttle though which means you take a taxi coming and going. We did that and the taxi with tip was about $11. Not that far...taxis are just high everywhere it seems. We drove a rental vehicle this time and so we did not park there but we met several folks who were doing that.

Hi Tina,

We stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites before our cruise. The cost was $63 plus tax for the night. The room was great, we could see the gulf from our balcony and in the morning, we could see the Elation in the distance. It was a quick drive to the ship. We cruised in November, so I am not sure what the rates are now, but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. It was clean, great location and great price. Here is their information:

5924 Seawall Blvd. , Galveston, TX, US, 77551

Phone: (409) 740-1088

Another place you can check rates is http://www.galveston.com/lodging.

Have a great cruise.

Rhea

Archived