Windstar v.s. Princess

donna5

This will be our first cruise on Windstar(Windsurf), We are Elite on Princess and have done StarClipper and the Defunct Dolphin(Oceanbreeze). Can you tell me what the major diff. are going to be. Is there anything we should be aware of. It will be a B2B rome/nice.

Any info you can give to me I will appreciate. We choose this do to we hoped there wouldn't be a lot of children and wouldn't have to drag formal wear.

I read that there is a mini-bar, can you explain about this.

Thanks in advance.

This will be our first cruise on Windstar(Windsurf), We are Elite on Princess and have done StarClipper and the Defunct Dolphin(Oceanbreeze). Can you tell me what the major diff. are going to be. Is there anything we should be aware of. It will be a B2B rome/nice.

Any info you can give to me I will appreciate. We choose this do to we hoped there wouldn't be a lot of children and wouldn't have to drag formal wear.

I read that there is a mini-bar, can you explain about this.

Thanks in advance.

To answer your one question. You can not compare Windstar with the other lines. Do not worry about formal wear ......there is none. "Formal" dinner attire, at least for men, consists of a collared shirt and "Docker" type pants. You may see a few jackets but absolutely no ties. You do not have a mass seating for meals. Sit where you want and with whom you want. Do not expect to be entertained like the large ships.

As for children, you will find very few, if any, on the Windstar ships.

These are just some of the differences between the mass marketed ships and Windstar. My comments are more toward the Star, Spirit and Song (R.I.P.) than the Surf - however I believe the Surf is very similar to the other Windstar ships.

The mini-bar is just like any hotel. A small refrig with various snacks and drinks. We tend to have the mini-bar emptied when we first arrive and use the refrig to store drinks that we brought on board.

Hope this answers your questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi...we have done both the Princess and Windstar (surf, etc.) . The Princess is a 'large boat' experience, and suitable for families with kids, older folks, and people who just enjoy the ambiance of a cruise ship. We enjoy the Winstar better, altho I thought the last few times we went, things were deteriorating a bit (bought out by Carnival, I believe). Everyone gets to know everyone, there is NO night life, just a relaxing experience on the ocean...and time to think, mediate, etc...so why not try both. We have been on the Grand, the Island, Sun, and several large Holland AMerica, the Windsurf, Windstar, in the Med, the Carrib., and the 'crossing', a two week venture from continent to continent, at the end/beginning of the season. I have liked these the best, for personal reasons. let us know.

We are early risers so, no late night life is fine.

Thank you all for your info so far.

Now if we do a back to back what can we expect on the second week as a past passenger. Like what is (if there is one) their past passenger party?

Also do they have a welcome party with any included drinks for all passengers?

For the price is there any extras that are included or that we should look for.

We are early risers so, no late night life is fine.

Thank you all for your info so far.

Now if we do a back to back what can we expect on the second week as a past passenger. Like what is (if there is one) their past passenger party?

Also do they have a welcome party with any included drinks for all passengers?

For the price is there any extras that are included or that we should look for.

What should you expect on your "second" cruise? Nothing but enjoyment - just like your "first" cruise. Seriously, Windstar, at least the smaller ships, do not have welcome parties or special activities for past passengers. The reason being, I assume, is that the vast majority of the passengers are repeat. Remember that the Windstar cruises are about relaxing - not the onboard activities.

You make a mention of the price. Yes it is more expensive than many of the other cruise lines. However, you are getting much better food and service and you are on a small ship which naturally needs a higher crew to passenger ratio.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Lovecruisingtoo. My wife and I like the informal, small ship approach since it is easier to meet people during dinner as well as other onboard activities. Instead of having to dine with the same bunch, you have a chance to get together with others.

I have seen a good web site by a couple who have taken a couple trips and published lots of pictures. Have a look at www.*****.com and click on their travel section. It includes a pretty good description of the Wind Surf, crew and entertainment.

Archived