Treats for Children in Ports

moxie1975

I am going on the Miracle in September I went and purchansed a bunch of notebooks, crayons, glue sticks, pencils etc Yesterday to make goodie bags for the kids in ports. Question is which port should I take them and does anyone else do this. WE are going to Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

I know that Cozumel and Costa Maya accept them. There was a lady on our

last cruise that had gathered a lot of things together and made arrangements

for them to picked up at Paradise Beach, where she was spending the day.

• 3 weeks later...

The 88 cent-a-pair flip flops from Big Lots went a long way in Honduras. We even asked the tour van driver to stop along the road from Copan if he saw any little barefoot urchins. He didn't have to drive very far before finding those youngsters. And prompted them to tell us "gracias" after we handed the plastic sandals out of the van.

One year we just took a bagfull of cheap digital watches to hand out. The kids had such beautiful smiles. I think they don't receive many gifts.

Spread a little kindness wherever you go. It won't hurt, and who knows? It might make the difference in some adolescent's thought process. Maybe the gringos are not ALL "ugly Americans".

Great thanks. I hadn't thought about having the taxi driver stop for me.. Im making 20 goodie bags of notebooks, glue, pencils, crayons, erasers, gonna get some candy and a few other things to ad to it and just hand them out to kids when I see them..

Archived