El Conquistador

coasteraddict

Coaster,

I spent 8 months in Puerto Rico last year, but never had the opportunity to stay at the Wyndham El Conquistador. However, I did talk to a couple of folks who had stayed there and they said it was GREAT!!! It's probably the best resort on the island right now.

It's in Fajardo on the northeastern corner of the island. It'll take about 45 minutes to an hour to get there from the cruise ship docks... a little less from the airport.

As far as tours from the hotel, obviously El Yunque (Rainforest) would be close. Also, some good snorkelling is near the small islands off the eastern shore of Puerto Rico. Note: I think that St. Johns, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel among others have better snorkelling, but overall it's not too bad.

You could also go to Luquillo Beach (it's nice), but if I were staying at the El Conquistador, I wouldn't.

Note: I have noticed transportation advertised to the Wyndham El Conquistador as I got off the escalators in the San Juan airport going to get my luggage. I don't know what the cost is though. I'm guessing you have to book this in advance since that's the only place they're going.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the hotel.

Dave :)

I have stayed there, and it is a very nice hotel. It is on a cliff overlooking the ocean. It does not have a beach on the property, but has it's own private island just offshore. Free shuttle takes you to the island. Nice beach on the island, a resturaunt (huge burgers) and no hassles from locals selling things. Can even swim from that island to an even smaller one, bring your snorkel gear. We were there when Maria Cary was filming a music video.

That said, I would not consider it a good place to stay for only a day before or after a cruise. It is at the other end of the island, and takes a while to get to the pier (and to visit Old San Juan). It would be best enjoyed for a few days. I would rather stay in town to explore Old San Juan before the cruise. I enjoyed the Wyndham Old San Juan right in town.

• 8 months later...

yeah i agree...stay in san juan for the piers b/c el conquistador is about a half an hour drive. it's very nice. i've stayed there before. if you do stay there, make sure you catch the shuttle to palomino island.

kathy

carnival destiny 3-13-05

:p

Archived