To mothers that scrapbook

dreamer2

If you are a mother and scrapbooker I'm sure you will understand my question. How do you haul everything around while taking a walking tour?

I'm the only person who cares about taking pictures. I'm always thinking about the next scrapbook page. Have to beg kids to stand together for a picture and have hubby put down the beer for just a minute for a shot I can send with the Christmas Cards.

I find myself needing to haul my purse, $$, pass back on the ship, cam-corder, and my camera. So afraid to miss a moment of memories for my family. They always hate waiting for me to take pictures but sure am glad when they look at the scrapbooks.

My delima is that in most every picture that I might happen to be in, --I've got a fanny pack around my waist. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to haul everything around. ie. big purse, backpack...What has worked for you in the past. HELP

Find yourself an oversized purse or nice beach bag. I throw in my camera, wallet, important docs, watter bottle, and enjoy the day!:) I too love to scrapbook, and find myself taking more pictureds than actually being in them, but you are right-the family LOVES remebering all the fun times once the pages are complete!

Kim

I have a lightweight backpack like the one below. You would be amazed at how much you can fit in and your hands are free. Found this one on Lady Foot Locker for $8. Have also seen them at Kohl's with a pocket for a water bottle.

993320_s.jpg

I would buy a backpack with comfortable straps (preferably padded). I bought a miniature JansPort for my cruise last year, and it worked well. I'm a scrapbooker (not a mother, though) and I love to take pictures of everything as well. And I mean EVERYTHING.

One tip I can give you is not to stress too much about taking pictures, or your memories will be a blur because you were too worried about getting the pictures "just right" .. Remember, you are on vacation, so enjoy it!!

Now, if I could only take my own advice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought a rolling carry-on bag that fits under the plane seat, and I plan to take this ashore with me on the next cruise. I get really tired of lugging around a bag full of stuff that gets fuller with every shop we stop in.

• 3 weeks later...

I too am the photographer/scrapbooker and do not expect anyone else to be inconvenienced and have to carry my gear. For this reason, I purchased a pocket sized digital camera that has very good video capabilities. I do lose the ability to have a great zoom lens but I get really tired of carrying that big thing around anyway. It was difficult to go totally with this camera and trust it would do the job at first but I absolutely love it now.

• 1 month later...

I was interesting in learning about how everyone else handled this, because I have the same problems. I like the idea of the smaller lighter weight style backpacks. I used a larger one with pads on the shoulders last year during our Universal Studios vacation, and I ended up with a horrible back ache (due partially to overpacking it!). My son has an extra lighter-weight back pack like those pictured above, and I think I'll use his for my upcoming trip. Thanks for the great ideas!!

I spread the load. My husband does the camcorder, I do the digital camera. We don't have kids of our own yet, but when we take my niece and nephew out, they each get their own disposable camera with their favorite characters on it (I've even covered plain disposables with stickers of their favorite characters to make it extra special). We also don't have them pose except for the first picture in front a sign labeling where we are at. Their cameras usually get shots of what we are seeing from their perspective, and my husband and I focus on impromptu shot of them enjoying the experience. It also helps that my niece is into crafts, so after the trip, we scrapbook the pictures together, so her shots are usually "scrap-worthy", and my nephew just likes the responsibility/privilege of his own camera.

Archived