New Orleans Tours

BottledRed

• 1 month later...

was in NOLA last year ( not a cruise) and I just love that city, esp the FQ.

We took a daytime cemetery tour which we had coupons for a few $$ off. We walked to the cemetery as a group from a street corner at Jackson Sq. Our guide was educated extremely knowledgable and passionate about the local history and spoke enroute to the cemetery.

By the way......the cemeteries were not the least bit intimidating. But use caution anyway just in case. You can visit alone, but then you don't hear all the facts.

We also took a ghost tour. We chose to do the "candlelight" or evening at around 8pm. It was October and it was dark by then. This tour was also very entertaining and informative and departed from the "Zombie Shop" and lasted almost 2 hrs. I enjoyed this very much. NOLA is a very haunted city and an has quite a sordid past.

We used Haunted History Tours for both tours. There are coupons all over for this. We also took a Garden District tour and it was a bore.

We took the Natchez cruise of Mississippi and that was very nice. We bought muffellatas at the Central Grocery and took onboard for lunch.

Here are a few link to NOLA things. If I can be of further assistance, let me know. From what I remember, the cruise ships dock near the FQ and it's walkable providing you have no physical restrictions.

Cindy in NJ

I hope the links work..

New Orleans Haunted Hist

Welcome to New Orleans Ghost Tours ory Tours

Gray Line Tours of New Orleans -- Ghost and Spirits Tour

Bloody Mary's New Orleans Tours, Events, and Spirit Encounters

NOLA.com - Everything New Orleans

www.frenchquarter.com

New Orleans Airport Shuttle

NewOrleans.Com - Where the World comes for Information on New Orleans!

New Orleans Facts

Did the Voodoo/Cemertary walking tour several years ago ... six maybe? I can't seem to recall the name of the company we used but the tour met in the French Quarter at a specific voodoo shop and cost around $13 pp. I'm sure the cost has gone up since then. I found the guide enjoyable and informative. We toured the cemetary with Marie Laveau, a nearby church, and ended up at the voodoo shop again (these are the highlights, the whole tour took a couple hours). We also got interesting stories about old New Orleans, Rampart Street, and the real estate market in the Quarter.

I was able to repeat some of the tour for a friend a couple years later, at least getting her to the right locations as we strolled about the Quarter (also made sure she saw Jackson Square, had beignets at Cafe du Monde, etc.). I think the tour was a better overall expereince, but she didn't want to take the time for a full-up tour.

• 2 weeks later...
You can visit alone, but then you don't hear all the facts.

NOT a good idea! I'm from N.O., and believe me, nobody goes to any of the cemeteries unless in a tour group. 'Way too many vagrants hang out there, and muggings are common. ANY area away from crowds is to be avoided, please. We want you to go back home with good memories.:)

Archived