NCL Sun January 2010 Valparaiso to Buenos Aires

Kruz Guys

For those who have sailed on the NCL Sun before, what are your opinions?

We have a forward facing suite. Any reviews of that kind of accommodation?

How are the specialty resturaunts? Is tipping expected here or is that part of the $12 a day per person charge added to your bill at the end of the cruise?

Is there a certain expected or ordinary amount the butler and concierge receive or is it basically dependent on the service received?

:D;)

For those who have sailed on the NCL Sun before, what are your opinions?

The Sun is my favorite of all the NCL ships we have sailed. It's a bit smaller than the Dawn and Jewel class, feels more intimate and less crowded, and the layout, while a bit clumsy, makes it more interesting, as you find many nooks and crannies all week.

We have a forward facing suite. Any reviews of that kind of accommodation?

We were in the AA on the Sun and it was fantastic. We used the front balcony for breakfast almost every day, and the cabin layout was great. If you are in the AB suite, I have heard the bathroom is fabulous!

How are the specialty resturaunts? Is tipping expected here or is that part of the $12 a day per person charge added to your bill at the end of the cruise?

I am not sure if tipping is expected, but we always add a bit on when we sign the tab, maybe a couple dollars per person, more if we order wine.

Is there a certain expected or ordinary amount the butler and concierge receive or is it basically dependent on the service received?

This topic comes up all the time and there is a recent thread on it from a few days ago. I don't think any amount is specifically expected, but if you use their services at all, you should tip - and you most likely WILL use their services. Check out that thread for $$ ideas - we usually average about $10 per person, per day total for both.

:D;)

Robin

Hello Kruz;

We've been on the Sun twice and loved it both times. As previous poster noted, its a bit smaller than the Libra (Star) or Jewel class ships. A bit more intimate, while not being too small. Good atrium and the Great Outdoors at the back.

Both times in a forward facing cabin (once in AD on deck 9 and the other time in a BA on deck 11). I enjoyed the forward facing cabins, but I'm one who likes to see where I'm going. We were in the AD for the trip to Hawaii 2 years ago and getting up early to help 'drive the boat' into harbour each morning as we arrived at another island was one of the highlights of my trip. However, depending on the velocity and direction of the wind it was windy at times. Also, the steel superstructure extends all the way up to the railing on the balconies on decks 8 and 9 so if you're shorter you can't sit in the chairs on deck and see over the railing (it was fine for me, but my wife needed to sit on one of the lifejackets).

Regarding NCL, some that are accustomed to a more formal atmosphere or the structure of traditional dining seem to have issues. However, we've sailed on several others and still do, but NCL is our preferred line.

P.

Hello Kruz;

We've been on the Sun twice and loved it both times. As previous poster noted, its a bit smaller than the Libra (Star) or Jewel class ships. A bit more intimate, while not being too small. Good atrium and the Great Outdoors at the back.

Both times in a forward facing cabin (once in AD on deck 9 and the other time in a BA on deck 11). I enjoyed the forward facing cabins, but I'm one who likes to see where I'm going. We were in the AD for the trip to Hawaii 2 years ago and getting up early to help 'drive the boat' into harbour each morning as we arrived at another island was one of the highlights of my trip. However, depending on the velocity and direction of the wind it was windy at times. Also, the steel superstructure extends all the way up to the railing on the balconies on decks 8 and 9 so if you're shorter you can't sit in the chairs on deck and see over the railing (it was fine for me, but my wife needed to sit on one of the lifejackets).

Regarding NCL, some that are accustomed to a more formal atmosphere or the structure of traditional dining seem to have issues. However, we've sailed on several others and still do, but NCL is our preferred line.

P.

Thank you for the information - very helpful.

Archived