Freeport Help!

MomtoEmilia

We are sailing on Carnival Sensation on November 15th and I have no idea on what to do in Freeport with a 17 month old girl. From what I am reading that there is nothing in walking distance correct? We were hoping to not have to lug the carseat to take a taxi ride to just go to the beach but the ship excursion where we wouldn't need it because its a bus is $60/person and I have to pay for the baby who would be sitting on my lap. Plus I wanted to go shopping and hauling the car seat will be a pain to do that too. My husband won't let me buy another carseat since we have 3 for one little girl and that I already spent the extra money to buy her a seat on the airplane instead of riding in our laps since she is under 2.

I was thinking about staying on the ship but I don't know what we do all day since she cannot go in the pools.

Speaking of pools is the splash zone in Carnival waterworks allow children in swim diapers?

What would you do in this port?

Thanks

Ashley

We are sailing on Carnival Sensation on November 15th and I have no idea on what to do in Freeport with a 17 month old girl. From what I am reading that there is nothing in walking distance correct? We were hoping to not have to lug the carseat to take a taxi ride to just go to the beach but the ship excursion where we wouldn't need it because its a bus is $60/person and I have to pay for the baby who would be sitting on my lap. Plus I wanted to go shopping and hauling the car seat will be a pain to do that too. My husband won't let me buy another carseat since we have 3 for one little girl and that I already spent the extra money to buy her a seat on the airplane instead of riding in our laps since she is under 2.

I was thinking about staying on the ship but I don't know what we do all day since she cannot go in the pools.

Speaking of pools is the splash zone in Carnival waterworks allow children in swim diapers?

What would you do in this port?

Thanks

Ashley

I am on the Pride in January and have never been to Freeport myself so I am going to pass along information from another thread on the Carnival Board because you might find it useful.

In it, he recommends Deadman's Reef. This is what I plan to do on Freeport with my 3 kids (4,6 and 9) in January.

Have fun on your trip and please - post some info when you get back on what you finally decided to do. I'll be watching and reading for info from a parent's perspective.

When I went to the website, I found the prices to be extremely reasonable, something around $30/day - includes transport and lunch.

hb5

as for freeport... if you definitely want a beach, go to the one i booked:

http://www.deadmansreef.com/

it's not a cruise ship excursion, and it's not one of the popular resorts... my party was the only one on the van (private from the resort), and the only tourists there... seriously. you can't get much more of a private beach day than that.

they have a little restaurant-ette, bar, and you can choose to snorkel or kayak as one of the packages, and transportation is included. some of the best snorkeling (many say THE best) is just off shore, at deadman's reef...

the owner's name is barry and his phone number is 242-349-2677

you can send him an email, here: http://www.deadmansreef.com/reservations.asp

he's very responsive, and follows through on what is promised.

if you book, tell him mark in houston referred you - and anybody else that does this - you too!

Here is the thread (if you want to see the whole thing):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1068189

This thread is a rather detailed play-by-play of the 7-day Pride itinerary from a September 2009 sailing.

He is not done with his review yet. He is most of the way through Nassau and Freeport is next (page 73 is Thursday evening in Nassau). If you check back on his review right before you go (start at page 76 and work from there), he might have more info - including pictures of his Freeport day.

Take the car seat and save your money. This is what we do when we go to Freeport...(I am quoting myself from another thread)

I stepped off the ship and asked for a taxi to "Our Lucaya Radisson and Westin". Our Lucaya is a marketplace. The Radisson and the Westin hotels are side by side. You walk through the Radisson and out the other side to the beach.

You can't use their pools (you would need to buy a wrist band for pool access)...but you can eat at their patio restaurant and use their bathrooms...and beach. No charge for the beach. ;)

The area was full of people with Carnival towels. So it must be known by lots of cruisers.

Taxi ride was approx $5 per person.

This is what it looked like. It makes a great beach day.

878783-R1-17-17A_018.jpg

878783-R1-25-25A_026.jpg

878783-R1-24-24A_025.jpg

878783-R1-22-22A_023.jpg

Archived