Cozumel Excursions - Mayan Ruins

cah14522

My family and I will be going to Cozumel next week, via the Disney Magic. We would like to see some Mayan Ruins, but have heard some mixed messages regarding the Tulum excursion. We've heard it's a pretty long journey to get there (45 minute boat trip plus ~2 hour bus trip) - is that true? How rough is the crossing on the boat to get to the mainland?

My kids really want to see Mayan ruins, but we're wondering whether any sites on Cozumel will be nearly as good. We've looked into an excursion package from Disney called the Cozumel Ruins & Beach tour, where they visit the San Gervasio ruins site. Does anyone have any experience with this tour, and if so, how was it?

We're trying to decide if the Tulum site makes it worth the extra time and extra money to chose it over other sites right on Cozumel. That package is about twice as much as the one right on Cozumel. My kids are 12, 10, and 7.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Well, I've reviewed some sites with lots of pictures of Tulum, and a few with pictures of San Gervasio - seems to be no comparison. Only remaining concerns are 1) the cost and 2) the time commitment for Tulum.

The cost I'm less concerned about if people think this is the better way to go. But I'm worried about the time from two perspectives - will the kids hate the long bus ride and water taxi ride to get there, and will this occupy all of our Cozumel time?

We leave Saturday, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas or other suggestions? Thanks!:)

Personally I think your kids will be quite bummed with Tulum. It is time consuming and hot. Besides, there are so many things to do in Cozumel that are more fun for kids. The beaches are beautiful, there's minigolf, there's shopping and on and on. I would rent a car, head to San Gervasio first thing, then go to a beach, turn in the car and hit the shops. The Magic docks right downtown.

While the San Gervasio ruins aren't as impressive as at Tulum - there are no pyramids - they are interesting. Plus, they're in the jungle - lots of flora and fauna to look at, too.

Then, you can still hit the beach, shop, whatever with the rest of your time on the island.

CozSally, What is in San Gervasio?

We were planning to maybe hit a beach, snorkel, eat a late lunch as we dock at 11am, then do some shopping and of course a Margarita before we go at 11pm.

We are up for renting a car and cruising the city if we know what we are looking for?

Personally I think your kids will be quite bummed with Tulum. It is time consuming and hot. Besides, there are so many things to do in Cozumel that are more fun for kids. The beaches are beautiful, there's minigolf, there's shopping and on and on. I would rent a car, head to San Gervasio first thing, then go to a beach, turn in the car and hit the shops. The Magic docks right downtown.

San Gervasio are the Mayan ruins in Cozumel. Not as spectacular as the ruins on the mainland, but interesting nonetheless. If you go, I strongly recommend hiring a guide. They are available right there. Otherwise you are looking at piles of rocks and walls that are falling down. A guide will make the site come alive.

Archived