Castatway Cay

blk1964

Hi all

Having recently gotten my cabin issue resolved and my dining seating where I want it (thanks to the great information here) now my next mission is, CC. When you get off the ship, I would like to just head for the family beach, snag some chairs with an umbrella, set up and THEN wander around. Dh needs to be out of the sun, there seem to be plenty of umbrellas so when you step off the ship, whats next? Do you take a tram? Just walk up the beach? I dont see us spending the whole day on the beach, its likely we will snorkel for a bit, play in the sand and then head back on the boat. So, I guess I need to know what to do first?

I wish I could post the map of CC for you, but I'm having trouble posting it.

Take some money (change) with you if you would like to send home some postcards from the post office at CC.

You will pass the first beach where they do the watersports. The next beach is the family beach.

Usually we walk up to the far end of the family beach or stay near the snorkeling area. There are palm trees for shade, too.

It's about a 15 minute walk from the ship to these locations. Or take the tram.

Lunch is served on the island at Cookies or at the Adult beach (Serenity Bay).

Many people spend time exploring the island by or taking a bike ride. Time flies and we aren't beach people. Then again, we don't rush off the ship to get there early, either. We probably spend 3-4 hours at most on CC.

Thanks for the reply, I think thats our plan too, head up to the family beach, near the snorkeling. Our kids might do the snorkeling excursion or at least rent the stuff, so we want to be near that. I can see us doing three hours as well and then coming back to enjoy a less crowded ship.

What do the Oceaneers kids clubs do, are there CC activities?

If you walk you will have the chance to encounter many characters that the tram will pass by. If you leave early enough from the ship(first hour or so there are usually many chairs with umbrellas to choose from. You could tram to the beach and walk back to catch the characters.

We spent the morning on the beach had lunch and walked back and saw a few different characters than on the walk to the beach. Castaway Cay (pronounced Key) is one of the highlights of the cruise.

Steve

I wish I could post the map of CC for you, but I'm having trouble posting it.

Take some money (change) with you if you would like to send home some postcards from the post office at CC.

You will pass the first beach where they do the watersports. The next beach is the family beach.

Usually we walk up to the far end of the family beach or stay near the snorkeling area. There are palm trees for shade, too.

It's about a 15 minute walk from the ship to these locations. Or take the tram.

Lunch is served on the island at Cookies or at the Adult beach (Serenity Bay).

Many people spend time exploring the island by or taking a bike ride. Time flies and we aren't beach people. Then again, we don't rush off the ship to get there early, either. We probably spend 3-4 hours at most on CC.

Note that the post office on Castaway Cay operates on Bahama time: they seem to open it when they feel like and not for the hours posted. You can spend lots of time waiting for it. Also, be prepared for your postcards to take at least 10 days, and possibly more than 2 weeks, to get to the US.

We certainly did not hurry off the ship, and though we did take the tram, the majority of people were way ahead of us, yet there were plenty of chaise lounges, umbrellas and shade left.

We went over to get snorkel equipment after most people had done that -- we had already been sitting at the beach for awhile, so there were no lines at the stand, and we were in and out of there in no time at all. There is not a whole lot of organization in the snorkeling area, everyone was doing their own thing. Only a fraction of the people who had snorkel equipment went all of the way out along the "trail."

Some of the more high-end stuff -- jet skis, etc. -- you might want to arrange in advance if you are interested.

The slides and other improvements are not completed yet.

Archived