Walkie-talkie?

donaldquackers

We've been on a handful of cruises and now we want to invite a few others and bring some children. We will not let them out of our site unless they reach a pre-determined trust level with us. We will have 2 nine year olds and 1 eleven. We are wondering if we purchase some walkie talkies will they actually work on the ship, and are they allowed. Has anyone used these. We thought it might work to help keep track of them when they want to go down for a quick ice cream etc. Is there a better way.

We will be expecting a certain good behavior of them and infractions will result in loss of priviledges. We will not allow them to wonder the ship hours at a time. We only want them to be able to leave us for a few minutes at a time.

If I am not mistaken, I know some ships (at least Carnival) has walkie-talkies for rent on the ship. So they would definitely work on the ship. I would check with the line you are cruising with for this option :)

Do you happen to know what the price was for the rental? I'm assuming it's some sort of daily rate?

Do you happen to know what the price was for the rental? I'm assuming it's some sort of daily rate?

No I am sorry I don't remember. Maybe someone else will be able to let you know.

Either way, you can also buy your own at Walmart for probably cheap and get to keep them for other trips.

I have heard that the ones for rental on board go pretty quickly. Now, that is what I heard, so don't quote me. Because I had read that on CC, we bought some to take with us. It was very convenient to have them. My oldest (also 11) would want to run to get a snack or to the ice cream machine and with her sister (9). The walkie talkies worked well (especially when Daddy decided he wanted her to bring back a snack for him!). However, we did notice reception started to get patchy when we were at extreme opposite ends of the ship (Mariner). The only reason we know that is because we tested the reception after we boarded. The kids were never that far away from us, so it wasn't an issue. Also, reception stopped down on deck 2. (Again, that was me trying to communicate with my DH). I say get them. They are not super expensive and if you use them once, they were worth it.

We've been on a handful of cruises and now we want to invite a few others and bring some children. We will not let them out of our site unless they reach a pre-determined trust level with us. We will have 2 nine year olds and 1 eleven. We are wondering if we purchase some walkie talkies will they actually work on the ship, and are they allowed. Has anyone used these. We thought it might work to help keep track of them when they want to go down for a quick ice cream etc. Is there a better way.

We will be expecting a certain good behavior of them and infractions will result in loss of priviledges. We will not allow them to wonder the ship hours at a time. We only want them to be able to leave us for a few minutes at a time.

We always travel with a large group and walkie talkies are our life savers. Every couple had a set. It was great. We turned to a less used frequency and everyone was able to communicate. Kept the volumne on low. Never used in the elevator and when we as a group decided to change plans and do something else on ship we were able to let everyone know. They also worked great when we were off the ship and in close range.

I believe mine are Motorolla's and if I can remember we got them at Fry's. We would keep them recharged at night.

Hope this helps..

We always travel with a large group and walkie talkies are our life savers. Every couple had a set. It was great. We turned to a less used frequency and everyone was able to communicate. Kept the volumne on low. Never used in the elevator and when we as a group decided to change plans and do something else on ship we were able to let everyone know. They also worked great when we were off the ship and in close range.

I believe mine are Motorolla's and if I can remember we got them at Fry's. We would keep them recharged at night.

Hope this helps..

I loved your review:) Also printed your cruise packing list for my cruise 4/18/10 on AOS!

I loved your review:) Also printed your cruise packing list for my cruise 4/18/10 on AOS!

Thanks Sue.. we had a great time... We are doing the parties again for this next cruise. They turned out to be such a big hit and I always get asked for the packing list. Glad you liked!!

It's all about the fun isn't it?

Janet

Just an FYI.... I've had mixed results with Walkie-talkies.

They are great up on the top deck but if you are in the middle of the ship (like atriums/lobbies) they did not work very well. I've read that the since the ship is so much metal, you can run into dead spots.

That said, we still used them and they worked out pretty well.

Have a good trip.

I don't know for sure about the walkie talkies working from room to room, but the cabin phones are all you really need for that. Our kids stayed across the hall from us and we were able to call back and forth very easily. :)

We brought our Motorola ones with us on the Carnival Pride.

They worked well when they were only a couple decks apart - regardless of front and aft.

However, from our forward cabins on deck 7 and the MDR aft on Deck 2 - no way they worked. These two places were about as far apart as you can get. In fact, reception on deck 2 from anywhere was problematic.

Cabin to cabin: port side forward on deck 7 to port side forward on deck 4, it really depended on where you were standing in the cabins.

From the topside decks (outside, lido and above) to either of the cabins was usually fine.

I would bring them again, especially as my kids get older and are allowed to venture out on their own more.

Silly me I forgot about the cabin phones. Walkie talkies would come in handy if I decide to let the kids check themselves out of kids club. Thinking that I can have my 10 and 12 year old check out together call us and we can meet them. still a bit nervous about the whole deal. I suppose I could have them call me and I could check them out too. Need to think this through.

Archived