make sure passenger booking name matches passport

Bethcruiser

I got a very inexperience travel agent (I think), and she booked me as my nickname that is on my credit card, rather than my passport.

I had to call the cunard 800 number for a question 2 weeks before the trip.

They could not find my name, so when we figured out what happen, cunard informed me that it would be $100 to change the passenger name.

They have you over a barrel at this point, what are you going to do. If you refuse to pay, no cruise, and no refund !!!

I charged it and will try to charge back after the cruise I guess.

Be sure to book the same name that is on your passport.

I think the travel agency should have to pay. They are the ones that are suppose to know all this. Cunard just decided to try to make a lot of money on someones mistake I think.

Beth

That's certainly not fair. I understand why the name should be the same on the ship manifest as it is on your passport, but to charge you to correct it shows that they must have about all the customers they need. I've been asked to use my name exactly as it appears on the credit card, too. If you used your passport name on your "Guest Registration Form" that you singned, then I think you should talk to a supervisor and have the charge reversed. Otherwise, in my opinion, your travel agent should absorb that cost. Bummer!

Rick J

Well, you are being unfair to Cunard. This is the TA's fault. Every cruise line I have been on (esp. since 9/11) has required that the name on your passport/birth certificate match the name on your registration form.

I don't know why you would want a nickname on a credit card. It is an official form just like a birth certificate or marraige license. For any form of ID, I always use my official name. Just my opinion.

Ed

Cunarder:

You must have a very short name if you can fit the entire thing on a credit card.

Or do you have a folding credit card, or a two parter ?

Anyway, Yes I understand that Cunard is only following the law, but I still say the travel agent should have known better since I gave her a copy of my passport to review at booking. Also I still say cunard is taking advantage of the situation.

They have already started the cruise under two black clouds as far as I am concerned....this and the switching around of the destinations....dropping San Juan for St Kitts.

I will have to see if they make up for it with the good time and service on board (they still have a chance to redeem themselves).

This is my first cruise, so I have nothing to compare it to. My travel agent says I am setting the bar rather high for future cruises though.

I agree with your travel agent, you have set the bar high for any future cruises. We just got back from the 1/29-2/5 cruise on the QM2, and we loved it. When San Juan was dropped off the cruise itenary and was replaced with St. Kitts there was diaappointment. My wife and I took the Sugar Train in St. Kitts and felt it was the best shore excursion we had. Have fun on your first cruise, but how can you not when you are on such a great ship. I'm still suffering from Post Cruise Syndrome, so there is a little envy that your cruise is still in front of you.

They should have caught this at the time of booking, it is common knowledge that you have to have your full legal name on the documents. They should share the blame for this error. Every time I have booked a cruise, whether it is through a TA or online, when the name is filled out, it states it has to be the legal name as listed on your identification documents.

BTW, my full name (middle intial) is on my credit card, with tons of space to spare.

This problem has also caused me problems with airlines. My full name is what most people think is a shortened version. I occasionally have had travel agents put what they think must be my correct first name on a ticket and had difficulty when that name did not exactly match the one on my drivers license or passport.

I know to check it now and that makes it much easier with desk people who are required to be very exacting about names.

So sorry you have to go through the hassle as well as the cost! My full name is Elvira, something I haven't heard since grade school. I have ALWAYS been called Elly, and think that Elly is my name. (Don't know any Elvira's) But after 9/11, I always use the full name. New world now.

Bethcruiser,

Don't get mad at me for your lack of foresight and a good TA. Everyone I know has their full name on their credit card. I have never seen a name that could not fit.

I agree with Happy ks, my name fits easily and I have to fit a Jr. on the end of my name.

Sorry for your misfortune, but if you read my first post, I did blame it on your TA. My only question was why you would use a nickname on any official document. Sorry if you couldn't write back with a more civil response.

Hope you have a great cruise anyway. Enjoy.

Ed

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. Even you Cunarder ;)

I am an exception with the long name not fitting on most legal documents such as credit cards. This is because I have one of those old world British hyphenated last names. I also have three 10 letter first names. And I am not married. If I ever do marry that may be one more name.

Most families from Britian that move to the USA usually correct the last name situation within a couple of generations. Mine never did.

Perhaps its because the bulk of our family on my fathers side still resides in UK.

I grew up in the USA, although I have had at least 10 trips to UK.

I have a southern USA accent as well.

I am really excited, my cruise is next Saturday. I have been corresponding with people on the ship this week as well, in the roll call dept.

Hopefully, they will send me some digital pictures, although I will forgive them if they are having such a good time they forget.

Beth

Archived