Is Oosterdam still going to Mazatlan?

cat4151

Does anyone have any more information on this hanging story? I can only find 1 article on it, seems like this would be major news. Anyone in Mazatlan know? Was this far from the city? I find it hard to believe that any cruise ship would stop there if this story is true.

The incident you're asking about has been widely-covered in the Mexican media and written in Spanish. I've seen the photos and articles but don't think the standards of participation here permit me to post that gruesome information (the photos).

My recollection is that the incidents took place in the city but not in the 'city center.'

The international media, particularly the media in the USA, ignores, for the most part, the extent of the terrorism and violence taking place in Mexico (including in Mazatlan and Sinaloa) - except for media outlets in USA cities along the USA/Mexico border. The matters are under-reported.

The reports are truthful.

Here's the link to Latino Fox News story about the hangings. I agree that it's strange that this hasn't gotten more press coverage. I guess the press is de-sensitized to violence in Mexico and would rather cover Libya and Charlie Sheen. http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/03/01/5-bodies-hanging-bridges-mexican-city/

Here is a link to another story on the Fox News website about Spring Break concerns in foreign cities. Mazatlan is singled out in the last paragraph and described as "perhaps the most consistently violent of Mexico's resort cities during the past year . . .." It even says that bodies of victims of drug cartels turn up on the streets on a weekly basis. So I guess 5 more bodies hanging from a bridge is no longer big news. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/28/dangers-lurk-spring-breaks-dangerous-destinations/ Some CC members like to say that this is no different from violent crime in an American city. But here we catch most murderers, then prosecute, convict and imprison them.

And yet the Oosterdam is reportedly docked there today. I am puzzled and don't know what to make of it.

Thanks for the link. I wasn't able to find it yesterday or this morning, but it doesn't look good for Mazatlan as far as cruises are concerned.

Archived