How risky/scary is the road to Sky World/CGB/Pusser's Landing?

Vegan Cruiser

I don't like heights nor winding mountain roads with steep drops and no guard rails. Here's a Celebrity shore excursion I thinking of (which allows time for a snorkeling excursion in the afternoon). Has anyone traveled this road and can give me an idea of what it's like?

"North Shore & Pusser's Landing - TT14

Explore Tortola's north shore on an excursion that travels along the picturesque roads with a stop at beautiful Cane Garden Bay and visits the quaint village of Pusser's Landing.

Board your open-air safari bus or air-conditioned van and travel from Road Town along some of Tortola's most scenic roads to Sky World. Perched some 1,500 feet above sea level, the observation platform offers panoramic views of Tortola and the surrounding British and U.S. Virgin Islands.

Head to Cane Garden Bay, a beautiful white-sand beach, where you can take a brief stroll or simply enjoy the tropical scenery. Continue along the coast, passing many fantastic bays. Make a photo stop at the Bomba Shack, a beach bar that has to be seen to be believed.

Finally travel to Pusser's Landing, a seaside village where you have ample time to browse the quaint shops and boutiques before returning to the ship on the scenic coastal road."

If you don't like windy roads, heights, and steep drops, you probably won't find this a very relaxing experience. Having said that, if you can put your trust in the driver (who does this a gazillion times), and just go with it.......the views along the road are nothing short of amazing. There will be stops for photo-ops, and Cane Garden is very pretty. If you're going to do it, try for the Safari bus vs the air conditioned van. You'll see better, and it's easier to get pictures from the moving bus.

Does the Safari bus have seat belts?

And does anyone know how the Tortola roads compare to the Road to Hana on Maui or the roads around the small side of the island in Maui? I didn't find the Road to Hana particularly scary (has been improved in recent years), but the road around the "head" side of Maui was terrifying!

We took a taxi (a Toyota minivan) from Road Town to Cane Garden Bay. It had rained just a short while before and the road was still a little damp. At one point the road was so steep that the van lost traction and almost started rolling backwards. The driver wasn't doing anything crazy. We just lost traction while climbing like you would on a hill in snow. It was a REALLY STEEP road.

• 1 month later...
If you don't like windy roads, heights, and steep drops, you probably won't find this a very relaxing experience. Having said that, if you can put your trust in the driver (who does this a gazillion times), and just go with it.......the views along the road are nothing short of amazing. There will be stops for photo-ops, and Cane Garden is very pretty. If you're going to do it, try for the Safari bus vs the air conditioned van. You'll see better, and it's easier to get pictures from the moving bus.

GinDon; would you say that this excursion is really that "terrifying"? I was looking for a tour that would give us great pictures, great sights but a little worried now with your reply. We aren't really scared of heights and don't get motion sickness would you say it's worth it.

Thanks

GinDon; would you say that this excursion is really that "terrifying"? I was looking for a tour that would give us great pictures, great sights but a little worried now with your reply. We aren't really scared of heights and don't get motion sickness would you say it's worth it.

Thanks

I don't consider it terrifying, but I am not afraid of heights. Last year I was with a friend who is afraid. I explained what it was like and we always took an enclosed vehicle (no open air safari) and had her sit on the side that was away from the ocean so she didn't have to look at the drop-off. She didn't like it but she did fine (I think she just closed her eyes a lot :D)

There are very few accidents down there and remember the drivers are on those roads all the time. If you want to do anything outside of Road Town you will need to go over the mountains. The views are beautiful and it is well worth it.

Archived