Smith's Cove Bus

24fan

Bump. I'd like to know, too, but have never heard of a bus going there. We were told we'd need to take a taxi there, maybe $15? I read somewhere here it's just about a 5 minute walk past Sunset House Diving. We plan to go the first week in March. Our plan is to get a taxi to Smith Cove, then walk back to Sunset and get a cab back to our RC tender from there. Supposedly it's rare to get a taxi back from Smith Cove, so we need a backup plan if we don't want to walk 25 minutes or so w/out a sidewalk.

If anyone reads this and knows it won't work, please respond. :)

Not taken it myself, but it appears as though the 7GT and/or 7GT Jiffy routes pass by Smith Cove. I'd confirm with a bus driver before boarding.

Bus Map with road routes

Smith Cove is located on South Church Street, before the Walkers Road intersection, roughly opposite Thompson Drive near Coconut Harbour & Grand Old House.

Google Map of the area

Edited by TurtleTagger

Adding to TurtleTagger's info....

There are LOTS of buses for routes 1 & 2 to West Bay, quite a few for route 3 to BT, and a handful for route 4 to East End and route 8 to North Side. There are a couple of buses plying routes 5 & 8 on an irregula basis covering the East End and North Side combined loop.

And then the is the rarity --- like seeing the Green Flash, a Yeti, and the Loch Ness Monster all in one day --- routes 6 & 7 serve George Town. I have only very rarely seen them and certainly would not recommend anyone rely on them.

In your opinion--would be better off taking a taxi to this area? (If answer is yes--how hard will it be to catch a taxi for the return to the pier area?). Or, should we go to Plan B--and look for another beach ---we are looking for something scenic...we love the beach--but neither of us snorkel, do water sports---just wanted a spot to enjoy the scenery and relax. Thanks in advance for your help!

I was also curious if it would be easy to walk? It's only 2-3 km from town/the tender stations, so that would theoretically be a half hour walk. Are the roads walkable, OR can you just walk along be beach area from town?

A taxi certainly is the easiest way to get to Smith Cove. The road from the port area is a busy two lane road with no sidewalks and scarcely any shoulder for the entire way. The shore is sharp ironshore rock and you cannot walk along the shore.

Getting a taxi back to town would be a bit difficult. Taxis normally do not hang out there waiting for fares and it is away from the primary flow of tourist traffic so they are less likely to just pass by.

• 4 years later...

We snorkeled Smith's Cove, last week...amazing!

Taxi to the cove was $4-6 per person depending on the size of your group. There are 2 bathrooms and a shower outside. There are no shops, restaurants, facilities, lockers or anything.

The beach is about 15-20 wide with reefs on either side. The shore is a maze of reefs within 50' of the beach.

There was a couple there that said they had been on the island for 2 weeks and this was the best snorkeling they had found.