How late can you make an insurance claim???

greatam

Jan 1, 2007

On a British Airways plane on the ground in Phoenix in first class. Got the normal champagne and little tray of nuts. Sat there drinking the champagne and nibbling on the macadamia nuts. All of a sudden, I felt my face flush, my throat get tight, my hands started turning red and itchy. I got up and got the help of the FA. Someone called the paramedics.

In the mean time, I got my asthma inhaler (epinephrine-same thing that is in an epi pen). I was fine in a few minutes BEFORE the paramedics got there. But everyone INSISTED I go to the hospital. So instead of my flight to London and a QE 2 cruise, I ended up spending New Year's in a hospital. British Airways had called the hospital and told me they were going to take care of the bill. I also had given British Airways a copy of my travel insurance papers to the lady that accompanied me to the hospital. I also gave that info (Travelex policy) to the hospital admitting lady. I never received a bill and figured it had been taken care of by a combination of British Airways working with Travelex or just British Airways.

Imagine my surprise when I went to purchase a new car today and the credit manager informed my I had a large, outstanding medical bill. First time it has ever shown up on my credit report. I am in complete shock.

I still have the original paperwork. Is it too late to file a claim??? My own BC/BS won't take the claim because they state a British Airways plane, even on the ground in Phoenix, is a foreign entity.

Jan 1, 2007

On a British Airways plane on the ground in Phoenix in first class. Got the normal champagne and little tray of nuts. Sat there drinking the champagne and nibbling on the macadamia nuts. All of a sudden, I felt my face flush, my throat get tight, my hands started turning red and itchy. I got up and got the help of the FA. Someone called the paramedics.

In the mean time, I got my asthma inhaler (epinephrine-same thing that is in an epi pen). I was fine in a few minutes BEFORE the paramedics got there. But everyone INSISTED I go to the hospital. So instead of my flight to London and a QE 2 cruise, I ended up spending New Year's in a hospital. British Airways had called the hospital and told me they were going to take care of the bill. I also had given British Airways a copy of my travel insurance papers to the lady that accompanied me to the hospital. I also gave that info (Travelex policy) to the hospital admitting lady. I never received a bill and figured it had been taken care of by a combination of British Airways working with Travelex or just British Airways.

Imagine my surprise when I went to purchase a new car today and the credit manager informed my I had a large, outstanding medical bill. First time it has ever shown up on my credit report. I am in complete shock.

I still have the original paperwork. Is it too late to file a claim??? My own BC/BS won't take the claim because they state a British Airways plane, even on the ground in Phoenix, is a foreign entity.

Here's some info from a current Travelex plan:

"Notice of Claim: We must be given written notice of claim within 30 days after a covered loss occurs. If notice cannot be given within that time, it must be given as soon as reasonably possible. Notice may be given to us or to our authorized agent. Notice should include the claimant's name and enough information to identify him or her.

Claim Forms: When we receive notice of claim, you will be sent forms to file proof of loss. If the forms are not sent within 15 days after we receive notice, then the claimant will meet the proof of loss requirements by giving us a written statement of the nature and extent of the loss. This must be sent to us within the time limit stated in the Proof of Loss provision.

Proof of Loss: Written Proof of Loss must be sent to us within 90 days after the date the loss occurs. We will not reduce or deny a claim if it was not reasonably possible to give us written Proof of Loss within the time allowed. In any event, you must give us written Proof of Loss within twelve (12) months after the date the loss occurs unless you are legally incapacitated."

However, if this all occurred back in 2007 it probably would have been with a plan issued with a previous underwriter with different requirements. You'll have to figure out what plan you had and read the details.

That said, depending on which state you live in the time restrictions may be unenforceable -- the state department of insurance may not allow them on policies sold to residents of that state so be sure to check for any state-specific exceptions that may apply to you.

Even if you do find wording that bars the filing of a claim after all of this time I'd file the claim anyway -- all they can do is tell you no.

But it's also very possible that the hospital bill that started this whole thing is indeed paid for -- be sure to check to see if it's a valid outstanding debt. It seems strange that the hospital (or some collection service) hasn't made at least a cursory effort to contact you directly by phone or mail to request payment. It could all be a mistake.

By the way, what happened to your cruise fare? Did you lose it and, if so, was a cancellation claim filed against the policy?

Here's some info from a current Travelex plan:

"Notice of Claim: We must be given written notice of claim within 30 days after a covered loss occurs. If notice cannot be given within that time, it must be given as soon as reasonably possible. Notice may be given to us or to our authorized agent. Notice should include the claimant's name and enough information to identify him or her.

Claim Forms: When we receive notice of claim, you will be sent forms to file proof of loss. If the forms are not sent within 15 days after we receive notice, then the claimant will meet the proof of loss requirements by giving us a written statement of the nature and extent of the loss. This must be sent to us within the time limit stated in the Proof of Loss provision.

Proof of Loss: Written Proof of Loss must be sent to us within 90 days after the date the loss occurs. We will not reduce or deny a claim if it was not reasonably possible to give us written Proof of Loss within the time allowed. In any event, you must give us written Proof of Loss within twelve (12) months after the date the loss occurs unless you are legally incapacitated."

However, if this all occurred back in 2007 it probably would have been with a plan issued with a previous underwriter with different requirements. You'll have to figure out what plan you had and read the details.

That said, depending on which state you live in the time restrictions may be unenforceable -- the state department of insurance may not allow them on policies sold to residents of that state so be sure to check for any state-specific exceptions that may apply to you.

Even if you do find wording that bars the filing of a claim after all of this time I'd file the claim anyway -- all they can do is tell you no.

But it's also very possible that the hospital bill that started this whole thing is indeed paid for -- be sure to check to see if it's a valid outstanding debt. It seems strange that the hospital (or some collection service) hasn't made at least a cursory effort to contact you directly by phone or mail to request payment. It could all be a mistake.

By the way, what happened to your cruise fare? Did you lose it and, if so, was a cancellation claim filed against the policy?

Thank you for the advise, particularly about checking why the bill is on my credit report. Never even gave it a thought that it might be a mistake. And I am going to file the claim if the bill has never been paid. I am also going to contact British Airways.

I called Cunard on Jan 2. Cruise was Jan 3. They had a waiting list, so they gladly refunded my fare if I would give up the cabin. Hotel was the Holiday Inn in Southampton, so just a credit card guarantee which I cancelled. The only thing I lost was the $20.00 National Express prepaid bus and it wasn't worth it to file all the paperwork for $20.00. The airline ticket was a FF award ticket and due to my high status with AA, I don't have to pay the redeposit fee.

Thanks again for the help. I KNOW the after hours number for Travelex was called from the hospital-I heard the British Airways lady on the phone speaking to someone and giving the policy number to them while they were hooking up the IV (what a waste of money-breathing machine, IV, medication, etc. etc-I was FINE and I have never eaten nuts since then).

Still bummed I missed the cruise-it was one with the black and white ball, hats, long gloves and ball gowns. I spent WEEKS looking for an appropriate hat to wear-just not common in Arizona and almost unheard of in Missouri.

Archived