Where is the BEST snorkeling in Western Caribbean

MamaMicki

Hello all,

We are going on the Miracle Jan 8 and I am already starting to book excursions through independant companies. I was wondering, in the Western Caribbean where is the best snorkeling? We have been to Grand Caymen, Costa Maya, Cozumel several times. We are starting to venture out more. Currently, I have a car rented for Cozumel to take the family to Chackanuba park. Costa Maya is my favorite place!! Of course it will be a day of just drinking a few beers and getting that $25 massage on the beach. :D Grand Caymen, we are going to try Stingray City with Captain Bryan. I think we will go cave tubing in Belize with X-stream. Now, I am worried that I am missing some great snorkeling somewhere. Where do you think the best snorkeling is in the Eastern and Western Caribbean? Also, I am so confused about local time versus ship time. This will be our first CCL cruise and I have never dealt with this before. If someone could lead me to a thread on this I would really appreciate that. Thanks for all your time. Happy Friday!! Take Care!

Hello all,

We are going on the Miracle Jan 8 and I am already starting to book excursions through independant companies. I was wondering, in the Western Caribbean where is the best snorkeling? We have been to Grand Caymen, Costa Maya, Cozumel several times. We are starting to venture out more. Currently, I have a car rented for Cozumel to take the family to Chackanuba park. Costa Maya is my favorite place!! Of course it will be a day of just drinking a few beers and getting that $25 massage on the beach. :D Grand Caymen, we are going to try Stingray City with Captain Bryan. I think we will go cave tubing in Belize with X-stream. Now, I am worried that I am missing some great snorkeling somewhere. Where do you think the best snorkeling is in the Eastern and Western Caribbean? Also, I am so confused about local time versus ship time. This will be our first CCL cruise and I have never dealt with this before. If someone could lead me to a thread on this I would really appreciate that. Thanks for all your time. Happy Friday!! Take Care!

In Belize, we did a wonderful snorkel & dive excursion, and great luck with SeaSports Belize. Here's the web-site. http://www.seasportsbelize.com/ You may have better luck, posting in the "Ports of Call" boards. Hope this helps!

Grand Caymen and Cozumel are the two best snorkel spots. In Caymen, make sure your excursion includes both Stingray City and snorkeling (they usually take you to the Coral Gardens) because you really don't snorkel at Stingray City. In Cozumel, Chankanaab park has excellent snorkeling so it looks like you have that covered.

You aren't going to this port, but I think the best snorkeling in the Western Caribbean is West End in Roatan... Just walk off the beach to a coral reef, white sand, and clear clear water. I have never been to Costa Maya, but it looks good. Have a great cruise..

I think you are well on your way to some great snorkeling. We did both Chankenaab and Stingray City with Captain Bryan and enjoyed great snorkeling at both places.

At Chankenaab, get out a ways from the shoreline where so many people congregate. We saw all kinds of fish, including a barracuda which was hanging out directly under the float you can swim out to.

With Captain Bryan, we snorkeled by the reef adjacent to Stingray City. Again very pretty, lots of fish and we saw and watched a Moray eel for a long time. Our trip with Captain Bryan, which overall was great - loved the catamaran, was not until 1:30, so we spent a half day at Seven Mile Beach. Took a cab to the Marriott, which was under construction due to the hurricane. However, the beach behind it was beautiful and open, with beach chairs, umbrellas, a bar and grill. The food was a little pricey and nothing special, but this was more than off-set by the snorkeling, which was great and unexpected.

Just a little ways offshore, they had dropped a couple of series of cement (I think) cylinders into the ocean to form an artificial reef. While I would have preferred the real thing, they have been there long enough for nature and the food chain to take its course and my son and I followed large schools of fish around at a very close distance. Felt like we were in the Finding Nemo movie. If you have some extra time, before or after your trip with Captain Bryan, I would recommend it.

Have a great time!

We went with a group of 20+ and just got home on Sunday. Some of the group went snorkeling in Belize...the Horseshoe Reef Snorkle booked through Carnival...they snorkeled with what they say are baby nurse sharks, but we have a pic of one that was 6 ft! Also stingrays, lots of different types of beautiful fish....Amazing!

Archived