Info on Vision of the Seas

PiperMcB

I just returned from an Alaskan cruise on Vision of the Seas. I had room 3102 (outside) and it was great. Plenty of room to turn around, room beside the bed for transfer, the bathroom was laid out well....there was room for a wc between the toilet and the shower..and the shower was a true roll-in. The only draw-back that I could see was the closet. I was by myself and my clothes filled it-I only took a 24" suitcase for clothes. There were a lot of drawers, though that could be used.

Don't believe RCCL when they tell you a tour is accessible--2 of the 3 I had booked (with assurances that they would meet my needs)--didn't! They only have a couple of things that worked.

But it waas a great cruise (and because of being refunded on tours, I ended the cruise with a $27.xx credit!!!)

Thanks, PiperMcB, did you find the rest of the ship to be accessible? I am especially wondering about the doors from inside spaces to outside spaces, and to and from the Windjammer. I know that Adventure of the Seas had very accessible public restrooms.........does the Vision also?

The doors going outside and to the Windjammer are electric. The public restroom by the dining room was good. I didn't use any of the others. The people were very friendly and---wonder of wonders-----I didn't have any trouble using the elevators! ! ! !

Hey Piper.

Boy have you caught "Cruising Fever" since sailing aboard the Elation! :D

It might help those considering an Alaskan cruise to know what tours you had issues with. Actually, I was surprised to read you had difficulty. When I sailed on the Spirit, several passengers with mobility issues were on the tours I took.

Cruiser@Heart

Piper,

Would you mind telling me what tours you booked that were not accessible? My parents are taking the Alaska northbound cruise on Radiance (I think it is the same route that Vision is currently doing) next Sept. I'm in the process of helping them look up tours.

We had that problem with a couple tours in the W. Caribbean that RCCL stated were accessible. On one tour, my mom was supposed to climb 3 steps into a bus because the bus didn't have a lift. That wasn't happening! After the cruise I questioned RCCL Special Needs about the classification of tours as accessible. Their requirement is that any walking portion of the tour not require climbing more than 3 steps or walking over uneven surfaces. They do not take transportation into consideration when classifying excursions. They do not take into consideration that someone may be completely wheelchair dependant. I guess you have to know exactly what questions to ask before booking.

They did refund my parents' fee for the excursion, although we had to fight to get my dad's money back. RCCL decided that he should have left my mom on the ship and went without her.

The "To the Summit" tour wasn't accessible--I had asked them if they had a lift for the bus and they said "yes"--they didn't--so I went on the White Pass Railroad--much more $$, but it really was accessible.

Also the Lumberjack show wasn't accessible for me because it was a looong way from the ship, down a very steep, very slick ramp. If you were with someone, it would be doable (I was travelling solo.)

I think some of the problems were caused by the fact that I was by myself. If I had someone to push a manual chair, it would have worked. I didn't want to leave my scooter unprotected to get on a bus--a manual chair can be stored in the luggage--if you can climb the stairs. I wasn't having a very good "climbing week"--needless to say, I stayed away from the rock wall!

Cruiser--yep--I decided that cruising was a good way for me to travel by myself. That way I don't feel like I am causing others to miss something they wanted to do because I can't!

Thank you, Piper. I know my mom was interested in the White Pass RR so I appreciate the positive feedback about it. I don't know about the lumberjack show but I'll mention the ramp. She will have my dad all of the time and an aunt and uncle sometimes for tours so she'll have some assistance.

Thanks, Piper!

We didn't have any trouble with elevators on the Island Princess on our last cruise either. They were really speedy, so there were not very many times that we had to wait "in line", and people were very considerate about sharing. Most people wanted to know about my scooter, and had some member of their family or travelling party that was having a tough time getting around on the ship, and could have used some type of mobility assistance. Of course, that was a 15 day cruise, and the cruisers tended to be a little older, and maybe a little more cognizent of mobility issues.

Archived