Barbados? coming home

Steve are you only talking about Barbados or any Thomson cruise where they always collect cases?

I've only ever sailed home from Palma airport where we pick up our cases from the bus at the airport then check in ourselves when cases are weighed etc.

Steve are you only talking about Barbados or any Thomson cruise where they always collect cases?

I've only ever sailed home from Palma airport where we pick up our cases from the bus at the airport then check in ourselves when cases are weighed etc.

This refers to the return flight from Barbados only and whilst some will put extras in their case for the return journey - virtually everyone will have less sun tan cream, less shower gel,less shampoo etc so the increase may not be as much as it could be.

This refers to the return flight from Barbados only and whilst some will put extras in their case for the return journey - virtually everyone will have less sun tan cream, less shower gel,less shampoo etc so the increase may not be as much as it could be.

Very good point!

In the Dominican Republic and I'm pretty sure it's the same in Barbados (we didn't fly with Thomson to/from the ship last year) they take your cases the night before and taken to the airport as bonded luggage so not seen again until you land back in the UK.

Therefore no having to collect your luggage from the port and check it in at the airport.

Baggers

I've just realised the downside of your luggage being "bonded". It means that if you have a late flight from Barbados, everything you need that last day, plus your warm clothes for travelling, need to fit in your hand luggage. In the past I have opened my case on the quay side before putting it on the coach and put swim wear, flip flops, straighteners, makeup, brushes, beach bag, etc in case and taken cardigan, coat, etc out to carry on plane. Won't be able to do that from Barbados. :(

This is on P&O Q&A site

Bonded luggage means you do not need to collect your luggage upon arrival as it is transferred straight to / from your cabin for you.

This applies to charter flights to and from Barbados in the Winter and Athens in the Summer. This is not applicable to any other charter flight.

Stevie

Very good point!

In the Dominican Republic and I'm pretty sure it's the same in Barbados (we didn't fly with Thomson to/from the ship last year) they take your cases the night before and taken to the airport as bonded luggage so not seen again until you land back in the UK.

Therefore no having to collect your luggage from the port and check it in at the airport.

Baggers

When we did a Caribbean cruise in December 2009, that was Dom Rep, we had to collect our luggage from the airport, to take through security ourselves, and check in, so may have changed since then.

Find it odd that they would take it straight from your cabin to your destination airport, after all, the labelling is very flimsy, how confident are you that it would go to the correct airport?

But more Vodka/Whiskey/Rum :D

I've just realised the downside of your luggage being "bonded". It means that if you have a late flight from Barbados, everything you need that last day, plus your warm clothes for travelling, need to fit in your hand luggage. In the past I have opened my case on the quay side before putting it on the coach and put swim wear, flip flops, straighteners, makeup, brushes, beach bag, etc in case and taken cardigan, coat, etc out to carry on plane. Won't be able to do that from Barbados. :(

I was planning on taking a small case as hand luggage so I can change on the plane on the way out and can get rid of swimwear etc and change into woollies for on the way back, we have 7kg each so plenty of weight. Usually I travel light but don't want come home in summer clothes!!!

I was planning on taking a small case as hand luggage so I can change on the plane on the way out and can get rid of swimwear etc and change into woollies for on the way back, we have 7kg each so plenty of weight. Usually I travel light but don't want come home in summer clothes!!!

I do take a IT trolley case as hand luggage already, but find it hard to travel light! Note to me....I must try harder and try to take less. Oh, and try not to buy too much on the islands. :eek:

I do take a IT trolley case as hand luggage already, but find it hard to travel light! Note to me....I must try harder and try to take less. Oh, and try not to buy too much on the islands. :eek:

I usually only have handbag as hand luggage and DH just has small bag for iPad etc. suitcases are usually only about 17kg. We only buy fridge magnets on hols so weight is never an issue. It includes DJ for hubby and his shiny shoes!!!!

I do take a IT trolley case as hand luggage already

:eek::eek: DH always moans about trolley cases as hand luggage :rolleyes: Mind you his hand luggage, which is a small holdall, is probably bigger :rolleyes::D

Regarding the last day Jackie, it does take a bit of planning, but I always take small versions of shampoo etc, so you can use them up on the last morning and throw away or you can take them home in hand luggage if they are under 100mg.

A warning about Barbados airport - they are very strict about liquids and I had to buy a plastic bag ($1) as I had lost the one I took my stuff out in. I only had a $20 note, so that was wrong. I told them we get free bags at Gatwick! They searched my bag and took everything out. I said I would never go back there (but I did ;)) as they treated us like we were dirt. I don't know if anyone else had had this experience.

Mind you the year after that, we flew back from Jamaica and that was even worse! They made us stand in a long queue in the heat, then barked at everyone as they went through security. Everyone was compaining about it.

I wasn't going to bother taking my trolley bag as we are already taking a small 3rd case for the extra luggage but it sounds like I will have to in light of the fact that we won't have access to our luggage on the quayside.

I am trying to work through the logistics of the last day and have a couple of questions.

Are there courtesy cabins for showering and how busy are they?

Is there a secure place to store hand luggage? If there is, how does it operate? Are you given a ticket and is it supervised? Would it be safe to leave a bulky jacket for example? I really couldn't be bothered trailing a cabin case around the ship.

I know DH will be dressed for the airport when we leave the cabin and I am inclined to go along with that and just take some toiletries for freshening up. Any advice on that one?

There is a secure place to leave hand luggage. On the Celebration & Spirit it was in the Cinema. Each seat has a number & you are given a ticket with the number on it. There is a member of staff there, I assume they stay there the whole time. Even though its really easy & quick to do a lot of people don't seem to bother so the whole day is spent trying not to trip over other people's bags

I wasn't going to bother taking my trolley bag as we are already taking a small 3rd case for the extra luggage but it sounds like I will have to in light of the fact that we won't have access to our luggage on the quayside.

I am trying to work through the logistics of the last day and have a couple of questions.

Are there courtesy cabins for showering and how busy are they?

Is there a secure place to store hand luggage? If there is, how does it operate? Are you given a ticket and is it supervised? Would it be safe to leave a bulky jacket for example? I really couldn't be bothered trailing a cabin case around the ship.

I know DH will be dressed for the airport when we leave the cabin and I am inclined to go along with that and just take some toiletries for freshening up. Any advice on that one?

Hand luggage is usually kept at the Water's Edge if you wish.(supervised with a ticket)

cabins are available and a list of those is available from reception - demand depends on the time of day you want one !!

When we did a Caribbean cruise in December 2009, that was Dom Rep, we had to collect our luggage from the airport, to take through security ourselves, and check in, so may have changed since then.

Find it odd that they would take it straight from your cabin to your destination airport, after all, the labelling is very flimsy, how confident are you that it would go to the correct airport?

In Jan 2011 it was taken from outside the cabin, all labelled up, and not seen again until Gatwick.

Airline labels are surprisingly strong. I got our cases out of the loft the other day and tried getting an easyjet label off, and the bloody thing wouldn't rip! Only cutting it off seemed to work!

And I'm pretty sure, as the lorries leave the port with your luggage, it's already been pre-sorted, so one lorry for each aircraft for example.

Baggers

This is on P&O Q&A site

Bonded luggage means you do not need to collect your luggage upon arrival as it is transferred straight to / from your cabin for you.

This applies to charter flights to and from Barbados in the Winter and Athens in the Summer. This is not applicable to any other charter flight.

Stevie

Yep, and P&O charter many Thomson planes for their Barbados Cruise operation. Interestingly when 'Thomson' passengers jump on their 767 on a sunday to head for the Thomson Dream, that same plane has already done two trips out to Bridgetown in the two days preceeding, to take passengers for P&O's Ventura or Azura!

Baggers

Yep, you always see a fair amount of people at Gatwick after the long flight, still in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops!

Baggers

A warning about Barbados airport - they are very strict about liquids and I had to buy a plastic bag ($1) as I had lost the one I took my stuff out in. I only had a $20 note, so that was wrong. I told them we get free bags at Gatwick! They searched my bag and took everything out. I said I would never go back there (but I did ;)) as they treated us like we were dirt. I don't know if anyone else had had this experience.

Exeter Airport charge for plastic bags too! And if you don't have one, or buy one, they won't let you take your liquids (under 100ml) through.

I did question why they charge when other airports, like Gatwick and Heathrow, don't, and was met with the amswer that they have more money than Exeter!

A rubbish answer as everything is in proportion, except LGW and LHR actually spend money on new facilities and enhancing the passenger experience, unlike Exeter whose departure lounge is a 'glorified shed'.

Baggers

Very strict at Barbados airport. Saw them take a girl's 50 ml. perfume that she had just purchased at duty free. Despite her protests that she was allowed to take 100 ml. liquids in plastic bag, they still took it from her. She complained to reps but they couldn't help. A lady also " lost " an expensive bottle of whisky.

Edited by 3globetrotter3

Very strict at Barbados airport. Saw them take a girl's 50 ml. perfume that she had just purchased at duty free. Despite her protests that she was allowed to take 100 ml. liquids in plastic bag, they still took it from her. She complained to reps but they couldn't help. A lady also " lost " an expensive bottle of whisky.

Wow, I don't remember having any problems at Barbados Airport. I know immigration are very strict. A whole host of them turn up in the Medusa Lounge at a very early hour on the last day to check all the passports and immigration forms etc. before allowing you off the ship and to the airport.

Strange, as half way though the cruise, when the ship is back in Barbados for the day, you can easily walk off the ship and out of the port!

Baggers

There is a secure place to leave hand luggage. On the Celebration & Spirit it was in the Cinema. Each seat has a number & you are given a ticket with the number on it. There is a member of staff there, I assume they stay there the whole time. Even though its really easy & quick to do a lot of people don't seem to bother so the whole day is spent trying not to trip over other people's bags

Thank you, Mower Lady, that sounds ideal. We've always had an early flight home so never had to bother with this before.

Edited by Little Nell