First Time Cruiser / International Rates

DarrylW

My wife and I will be taking our very first cruise on board Costa Victoria in December. It will be a seven night cruise to Indonesia over Christmas.

Since it is our first time, there is much I don't know and there are a few questions I hope that someone can assist with.

1. I booked a Guaranteed Inside Classic room directly through Costa. It seems that the Inside Classic rooms have sold out. Is there a chance I could be upgraded? Also, how can I ensure that we get one double bed as opposed to two singles?

2. Once guaranteed rooms are assigned, can you request a change within the same cabin category if you are not satisfied? (For example, a cabin with two singles instead of one double bed?)

3. Has anyone been on one of the Asian cruises from Singapore and which nationality is the most dominant on the cruise? Chinese? Singaporeans? Are there many Europeans or North Americans?

4. Has anyone been on a Christmas Costa Cruise before? Is there anything special that Costa does for Christmas? Will they serve a traditional Christmas dinner and offer Church Service?

5. Does Costa include toiletries in the bathroom or must we bring our own? Also, do they fold the towels in interesting and fun ways like other cruise lines?

6. Are port charges charged when you book the cruise or is that an additional charge on board?

7. I am a Canadian travelling with my wife. But my mother in law is interested in joining us. However, she is a resident of the Philippines. It seems that the rate for residents of the Philippines is four times what we paid. Does anybody know if I would be allowed to book another room for my mother in law at our Canadian rate? Or if she could be added to our room for the Canadian rate? Alternatively, I know there are a lot of US websites that will accept international bookings and offer the US rates. But will Costa accept the booking? I have heard that sometimes tickets will not be issued or passengers will be denied boarding.

Sorry for all of the questions and thank you for your help!

Edited by DarrylW

I will try to answer you but remember I've never cruise in Asia, only in South America with Costa and never cruised on Costa Victoria. But, I still think my info will be right for any Costa ship :)

1. I booked a Guaranteed Inside Classic room directly through Costa. It seems that the Inside Classic rooms have sold out. Is there a chance I could be upgraded? Also, how can I ensure that we get one double bed as opposed to two singles? Yes there is a chance for upgrade. Last February we got an upgrade from an Inside to a Samsara Inside on the Favolosa. All the beds are convertible into double bed or two singles so no worries about that.

2. Once guaranteed rooms are assigned, can you request a change within the same cabin category if you are not satisfied? (For example, a cabin with two singles instead of one double bed?) I've done this for my next Fascinosa cruise and as there were other cabins in the same category available, I changed it. In my case it wasn't guaranteed, I only changed my mind about the location of the cabin and they changed it for me even after payment.

3. Has anyone been on one of the Asian cruises from Singapore and which nationality is the most dominant on the cruise? Chinese? Singaporeans? Are there many Europeans or North Americans? Can't help you with this one, sorry!

4. Has anyone been on a Christmas Costa Cruise before? Is there anything special that Costa does for Christmas? Will they serve a traditional Christmas dinner and offer Church Service?Yes, on the Favolosa last year they decorated the doors with red bows (first time I ever saw it on a cruise ship) and they had a special Christmas Dinner and party with special activities (mainly for the kids but still) and yes they did offer Church Service during all the cruise.

284811_10200256401920791_1872892585_n.jpg

5. Does Costa include toiletries in the bathroom or must we bring our own? Also, do they fold the towels in interesting and fun ways like other cruise lines? The towel thing happens: in the Christmas day my Cabin Steward made a candle for us and decorated our bed (but we were on the Suite, I don't know if its the same for all categories). They offer shampoo, body lotion, soap and I don't know if I forgot something! I always bring my own shampoo but never soap and body lotion since I'm ok using the ships.

6. Are port charges charged when you book the cruise or is that an additional charge on board? I don't know about Asia, but in South America you only pay it when you book the cruise. No charge on board

7. I am a Canadian travelling with my wife. But my mother in law is interested in joining us. However, she is a resident of the Philippines. It seems that the rate for residents of the Philippines is four times what we paid. Does anybody know if I would be allowed to book another room for my mother in law at our Canadian rate? Or if she could be added to our room for the Canadian rate? Alternatively, I know there are a lot of US websites that will accept international bookings and offer the US rates. But will Costa accept the booking? I have heard that sometimes tickets will not be issued or passengers will be denied boarding. I don't know how to answer that, why don't you contact Costa and see what they say? :)

Welcome to cruising and cruisecritic. Soooo many questions. Not to chastise you, but for your first cruise it might have been advantageous to use a travel agent or at least do some pretty thourough research before booking. I'll try to answer what I can, though.

1. I booked a Guaranteed Inside Classic room directly through Costa. It seems that the Inside Classic rooms have sold out. Is there a chance I could be upgraded? Also, how can I ensure that we get one double bed as opposed to two singles?

Guaranteed cabins are just that - you are guaranteed, at a minimum to have a cabin in the category you paid for. Normally you will have no say on the configuration or location of the cabin. most cabins come as two singles that are pushed together to make a double.

you may not even find out the cabin number until you board. 'Guarantees' give the cruise lines flexibility which is why you likely got a better price than picking out your cabin.

Sometimes, cruiselines offer gtys at a better price to 'fill the ship' by selling better cabins in an opaque way. do not count on learning your cabin or being able to change it before you board. there are exceptions to every rule, of course - just don't get your heart set on an upgrade of changing your cabin.

i've booked gtys several times. sometime it works out for the best and sometimes i get exactly what i paid for.

2. Once guaranteed rooms are assigned, can you request a change within the same cabin category if you are not satisfied? (For example, a cabin with two singles instead of one double bed?)

See answer to number one. As I mentioned, though, pretty much all cabins have two singles that can be moved together by the steward to make a double. Just ask your steward when you board if this is not done. again, this is a peril of booking a gty.

3. Has anyone been on one of the Asian cruises from Singapore and which nationality is the most dominant on the cruise? Chinese? Singaporeans? Are there many Europeans or North Americans?

I have done a shanghai to Singapore cruise with costa. Demographic were very mixed. Lots of aussies, german and French. There were very few American and Asians. This can and will vary wildy, though.

5. Does Costa include toiletries in the bathroom or must we bring our own? Also, do they fold the towels in interesting and fun ways like other cruise lines?

There will be bath soap and a shampoo/conditioner combo. Body lotion also. The steward may or may not make towel animals. sometimes i get them, sometimes not. If you're messing, the steward may need to take extra time cleaning up vs. making towel animals.

6. Are port charges charged when you book the cruise or is that an additional charge on board?

Port charges are included in the price you paid. Depending on your itinerary, there may be charges for visa that the cruise line arranges for you. Note: the cruisline does NOT arrange all visas. You will need to do some research. I.E. if you are going to china you need to have your own visa.

7. I am a Canadian travelling with my wife. But my mother in law is interested in joining us. However, she is a resident of the Philippines. It seems that the rate for residents of the Philippines is four times what we paid. Does anybody know if I would be allowed to book another room for my mother in law at our Canadian rate? Or if she could be added to our room for the Canadian rate? Alternatively, I know there are a lot of US websites that will accept international bookings and offer the US rates. But will Costa accept the booking? I have heard that sometimes tickets will not be issued or passengers will be denied boarding.

Triple cabins are RARE and you will not be able to get a gty cabin grade for a triple. Not sure about the other parts to this question. If she books as a single, there is something in the cruise industry called a ‘single supplement’ – that can be anywhere from 0 – 100% (nowadays it is most likely to be 100%).

Edited by AnonymousCruiser69

My wife and I will be taking our very first cruise on board Costa Victoria in December. It will be a seven night cruise to Indonesia over Christmas.

Since it is our first time, there is much I don't know and there are a few questions I hope that someone can assist with.

I am sure it is a possibility, but you will probably have to wait and see. You will be contacted by Costa if it materialize, and you should ask your question about the beds then if it is important to you.

I would recommend you call Costa and ask directly.

Europeans and North Americans will be the minority - 5-10% normally. With this being said, it does occur that you on some departures can have a large amount of Europeans or Americans, but it is as far as I know not that common.

4. Has anyone been on a Christmas Costa Cruise before? Is there anything special that Costa does for Christmas? Will they serve a traditional Christmas dinner and offer Church Service?

I cant answer this, maybe someone else can. But it is always possible to call Costa directly and ask if and what the specific Christmas entertainment is and what specialties they have made for that particular departure.

There is commonly church service on.

Traditional Christmas dinner? You are aware that traditions are not the same world wide for Christmas let alone Canadian.

They usually do make towel animals. Not sure if its done across the whole fleet. Toiletries are at a minimum - bring your own.

No port charges, except if you are doing your own things instead of the Costa offered excursions, you have to arrange and pay for transport getting from the port to town and back yourself.

Really, call Costa directly.

Some of your questions are not suited for asking in a forum in my opinion - call Costa directly to get reassurance that you get the correct answer and can act properly on it.

Philip

Thanks for your help, everyone. I appreciate all of the help. I have contacted Costa directly and they did answer a number of my questions.

I was reading a lot about tipping on board cruises and something I found odd was that nobody ever mentions tipping the "check-in" agent. Have there ever been any circumstances where guests tip the check-in agent in the hopes of getting placed into a nice room? Or does it work different to hotels on cruises?

If you don't purchase the drinks package on Costa, what drinks are available at no charge?

We are headed to Indonesia: Semarang, Bali, and Lombok. Has anybody been to these ports? Seems to be little information out there.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I appreciate all of the help. I have contacted Costa directly and they did answer a number of my questions.

I was reading a lot about tipping on board cruises and something I found odd was that nobody ever mentions tipping the "check-in" agent. Have there ever been any circumstances where guests tip the check-in agent in the hopes of getting placed into a nice room? Or does it work different to hotels on cruises?

If you don't purchase the drinks package on Costa, what drinks are available at no charge?

We are headed to Indonesia: Semarang, Bali, and Lombok. Has anybody been to these ports? Seems to be little information out there.

Costa does not encourage tipping. There is a service charge automatically added to your bill between 6-7 euro pppd, depending on the length of your cruise.

There are no check-in agent. Your room has been determined and selected prior to the trip, tipping will not provide you with any such benefits.

There are a very limited amount of beverages available free of charge. I would recommend the Extra All Inclusive at 19.50 euro pppd any day - its a deal, you won't regret it!

Philip

No, it is not customary to tip the check-in agent. You are likely to have the room you booked unless you pay to upgrade.

Tea and coffee are usually available free of charge all day in the buffet area. Plus juices at breakfast. Any other drinks you want then you pay.

Find information on your ports on the Ports of Call (sorry, I don't know how to link) or have a look on tripadvisor.

No, it is not customary to tip the check-in agent. You are likely to have the room you booked unless you pay to upgrade.

Tea and coffee are usually available free of charge all day in the buffet area. Plus juices at breakfast. Any other drinks you want then you pay.

Find information on your ports on the Ports of Call (sorry, I don't know how to link) or have a look on tripadvisor.

and tap water, at meal service and the buffet. that's it.