WiFi and US Dollars

RichJan

If you end up in Papeete, either during a stopover or as a final destination and you want some inexpensive WIFI and or if you have large USD bills, 20's say, and you want that broken down then go to this little place called La Maison de la Presse. Located directly across the street and a little to the left of the Tourist Information booth at the dock, this little refreshment, sandwich and souvenir shop will oblige.

Six USD (at time of posting) will get you 1 hour of WIFI time. You can log off and return later if you wish. Also it has some nice little sandwiches and ice cream treats as well as the usual souvenirs for consumption AND they'll break down some larger USD bills for you.

We had tried going to the banks but with typical civil servant attitudes we were turned down because they didn't have smaller denomination bills like ones and fives. The banks also require that you present a passport whereas this little mom and pop spot doesn't.

It's easy to find. Just cross the street directly behind the tourist info. place and turn left. You'll know you're at the spot when you see the two or three post card stands on the street.

Worth the visit in either case. Nice people also.

Richard

Thanks Richard, we will be on Solstice in April, Sydney to Honolulu via NZ and French Polynesia. I have no plans to use wifi on the ship (expensive, slow, unreliable), so your recommendation for Papeete is much appreciated. I will be able to log-in and read my family's messages for my Good Friday birthday :). Cheers, Susan