Princess, Star Princess, Dec 19, 2014

IndesignGr

Hope you all are ready, the rainbow flag will be flying off the balcony of the Grand Suite, on the way to Hawaii...Batten down the hatches!!! Can't wait to Swag on New Years Eve, Will be a sight to see for sure, no holds barred in the style department....Think Old Hollywood Glam...Hope the rest of the ship will be ready, there is a hurricane a commin!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am mellerswa. I have been married to my husband for 20 years. We're straight, but not narrow.

Our daughter, whom we love very much, has come out as lesbian, is 18 years old, and will be traveling with us. She was wondering if there were any other young LGBTQ adults who will be on the cruise. She and I attended the LGBTQ meetup on the September West Coast cruise, and she was disappointed to find no lesbian couples to whom she could talk, and no young adults. (All of the adults were about my age--I had a wonderful time; her, not so much.) She's a sophomore at Seattle U. (Despite being a Catholic university, it has a sizable, and very much welcomed, LGBTQ community.)

I was wondering if any young people (and/or parents of young people) were planning to attend the LGBTQ meetup on the cruise.

Hello friends of Dorothy!

I am Jason and my husband is Steve. We will make that rainbow flag hang a little further, as we are in the cabin right below the Grand Suite! Looking forward to meeting everyone. We've had such great groups at the LGBT get-togethers in previous years, especially on the longer cruises. Twice we've had groups of great size, 25-30 people. A good mix of people, who enjoy having fun, chatting, and hanging out.

Looking forward to meeting you!

-Jason

Thanks, Len & Paul, for pointing me to this roll call! I didn't know there were separate LGBT ones. See you onboard!

Hi Jason,

Notice you guys did Alaska in 2012. We did it with another two couples last year. It was on the Emerald Princess.

Our last cruise was a transatlantic from Rome on Celebrity last Nov. There was a large LGBT contingent. As usual, more G, than L, B or T. Hoping that there will be healthy showing on this next cruise, but if this roll-call is anything to go by, it may be pretty slim.

Cheers,

Paul

Wes and Brett from Regina, Saskatchewan...it's snowing and -20 today so looking forward to the cruise in a big way!

Hi Wes & Brett,

Glad to see other Canadian couples on the cruise. We have actually never met another gay Canadian couple on one of these straight cruises and we must have done around 15 by now.

We are from Ottawa and we are just getting the Arctic front that hit you guys. However, we are only getting flurries and hovering around 0.

When are you guys flying into SFO? We're arriving around 1 a.m. on the 19th and hoping the weather will cooperate.

Cheers,

Paul

Something my daughter said at lunch today reminded me of a friend's experience, and as a result, I thought I'd post some information about a couple of restaurants on Pier 39.

Apparently, one of her friends (who is transgender) had an unpleasant experience in a single-sex bathroom, and I remembered another friend who was, at that time, a single father, having a problem taking his 3-year-old daughter to the bathroom.

If this is an issue for anyone on this board (or even if it's not), I'd recommend eating at either the Wipeout Bar and Grill (this is a perfectly fine place for kids, BTW, despite the name) or the Pier Market restaurants on Pier 39. Both are great places, have excellent food, are very close to the cruise terminal, and have fully unisex bathrooms with good, and generally very clean, changing facilities. The Wipeout has also, to our way of thinking, the very best breakfast on Fisherman's Wharf, particularly the Huevos Rancheros.

They also have very good wheelchair access and nice restrooms for mobility challenged persons--a necessity for my family.

Also, if you see an Asian gentleman who looks disgustingly ageless making incredible origami creations, a white woman in her well-worn mid-forties in a wheelchair or with a cane, a beautiful biracial teenaged girl, and, most likely, a couple in their early seventies in the restaurant, stop by and say hi. There won't be two such parties, and we go to the Wipeout every morning for breakfast whenever we're in SF.

If you have a CAA or AAA card, be sure to take it to the California Welcome Center as soon as you arrive at Pier 39. It gets you great discounts at both the Wipeout and the Pier Market, as well as most other businesses on the Pier. (If it's too early, tell the Wipeout you have the CAA/AAA card, and they'll usually give you the discount anyway.) If not, this usually isn't quite as good, but it will still get you discounts at almost all of the businesses on the pier: http://www.pier39.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Fun-Pack-Coupon-Web-2014.pdf

Edited by mellerswa

Hi Wes & Brett,

Glad to see other Canadian couples on the cruise. We have actually never met another gay Canadian couple on one of these straight cruises and we must have done around 15 by now.

We are from Ottawa and we are just getting the Arctic front that hit you guys. However, we are only getting flurries and hovering around 0.

When are you guys flying into SFO? We're arriving around 1 a.m. on the 19th and hoping the weather will cooperate.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul...well the snow has stopped...we're actually flying in on the 17th - tix to Kinky Boots before we sale and flying out of the prairies is always tricky that time of year...we've done two other Xmas cruises and there has always been another gay couple from Canada onboard (probably more than one but another couple who came for drinks) so apparently we've made our quota again LOL

W