Explorer of the Seas-Bahamas and Bermuda-any questions?

seeshore

For the poster who asked, the Dockyard Trolley (white, I think; NOT the yellow one that is a shore excursion). The last 'car' (one with wheelchair symbol) had portable ramps, and the trolley driver got out and put them in place for me so I could get in. (He also shooed some able-bodied folks into the other cars.) That was in April 2012. BTW, I provided a gratuity (along with a thank you and a smile). Since I couldn't travel solo without helpful service folks, I believe in rewarding those who assist me.

For the poster who asked, the Dockyard Trolley (white, I think; NOT the yellow one that is a shore excursion). The last 'car' (one with wheelchair symbol) had portable ramps, and the trolley driver got out and put them in place for me so I could get in. (He also shooed some able-bodied folks into the other cars.) That was in April 2012. BTW, I provided a gratuity (along with a thank you and a smile). Since I couldn't travel solo without helpful service folks, I believe in rewarding those who assist me.

Thanks for adding this info. I couldn't remember the details of the train because I didn't actually ride it. I'm sure your personal experience will help some folks with their planning.

Back to the ports...

First of all I must apologize for the delay in adding this info. I've had some unexpected medical issues and just couldn't concentrate on CC for awhile.

Port Canaveral, FL

We decided to do the Ron Jon Cocoa Beach Shuttle offered thru Royal Caribbean @ $15.00 pp round trip. The tour used motor coaches equipped with a lavatory however I don't know if it was unlocked for use. We once took an excursion where we weren't permitted to use the lavatory. Not good for a cancer patient who sometimes needs one ASAP! The coach had storage underneath where strollers were being stored for families with small children. Our bus did not have a lift but since coaches were back and forth to the terminal all day perhaps another one was equipped.

DSCN1907-M.jpg

Fishlips-A fun place to eat in Port Canaveral

DSCN1941-M.jpg

For our cruise on Explorer we were docked at the Carnival terminal. I had made the decision to walk with my cane that day because I could always grab a bench once we got to Ron Jon and the beach. Going out of the terminal was fairly uneventful by using the ramps and escalators. However when we returned I was really beginning to feel fatigued and those same ramps felt like I was climbing Mt. Everest. Silly me, I should have asked if there was wheelchair assistance or looked for an elevator. Lesson learned.

We toured around Ron Jon for a bit looking at the way-overpriced clothing, etc. then walked across the street to Alan Shepard Park. They have picnic pavilions and ramp access to the beach and boardwalk. The boardwalk had some seating which had a beach view. It was nice to relax there for awhile.

I'm not sure if beach wheelchairs were available but a call to Cocoa Beach Parks and Recreation should provide an answer. There was a restroom and changing facilities at the park. I also saw a convenience store, restaurants, and drug stores nearby.

DSCN1931-M.jpg

The beach is quite wide.

DSCN1937-M.jpg

Boardwalk with ocean view

DSCN1928-M.jpg

Coaches used for the excursion

Thanks for offering help! I'm in need of advice! Could you help me pick a type of chair to rent for my mom? Any tips on short Bermuda excursions? She (and we) have done many cruises and she has been to Bermuda once before many years ago.

My mother has Stage IV cancer and is approved to go on a cruise this summer. We are going on the Breakaway. The chemo has her weak and easily tired. She will be on a two week chemo break at the time of the vacation though. She is able to walk, but tires easily. We are going on the NCL Breakaway to Bermuda.

I don't think she will need the wheelchair much around the ship (she doesn't use one at home ever). She may need it in the evenings after dinner as she may be tired. She may use it for Bermuda. She will only be off the ship for 1-2 hours but would like to do some shopping or sit in the shade at the Snorkel Park. I think it will be helpful for her to get to the shops or beach, where she can then walk around, and can sit in the chair for the way back to the ship.

Do you think a "travel" type wheelchair will be enough or should she get the full size? Keep in mind she is very self conscious about looking "sick".

Sasha-I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's health but at the same time I think its wonderful that you'll be cruising together soon. Regarding the wheelchair...I think you should go with a regular-sized chair. They are much easier to push because of the larger wheels. A transport chair would not be the best choice for your needs. Some regular chairs are very lightweight and in my experience the ones I've used all were all foldable. The brand I have is Drive and I've been happy with its durability. When buying or renting a chair the weight of the person using it would be one of the criteria in the choice. I would also consider the comfort level of the handles for you since you'll be pushing it. Your Mom's insurance may cover the cost of purchase. Another option would be to rent one for delivery to the ship. Check the accessibility info for Norwegian and they should have a couple of approved vendors to use. I rented thru Accessibility at Sea last year and the chair was waiting for us in the cabin when we arrived. If you're driving to the port, you should be able to get a wheelchair at the pier to use to get onboard the ship. One of the employees would push your Mom and you can handle the carry-ons.

I know how your Mom feels about looking "sick" but try to convince her that the use of the chair will help her enjoy the cruise that much more. The first time I used one, it was difficult for me to think of myself as a cancer patient but now I am thankful that I made the choice to get one as I know my limitations and by using it I'm able to continue to travel.

We're probably cruising to Bermuda again in 2015 for my Mom's 80th b-day. One of the things I'd like to do with her is tea at the Hamilton Princess Hotel. I haven't done much research but I think we'll take a cab over and maybe do a little shopping too. You can check out your ship's excursions. Maybe there is an island tour that you can do.

I hope my suggestions help you in some small way. Have a truly wonderful trip!!!!!

My family and I are looking into a Bermuda cruise on the Liberty of the Seas next year. Do you think there is enough transportation available for a full time wheelchair user? Is there enough to do and see for the two days we will be there?

DisneyKidsDad-I think Bermuda is one of the easier ports to get around for a wheelchair user. We're also cruising on Liberty next year for my mom's 80th b-day.

First thing I would do is look at the excursions that are being offered through the ship this season and communicate with The Accessibility Dept. regarding those. You can also visit the Ports board to see what others recommend. Bermuda has a nice ferry system and most of them are accessible especially if traveling to St. George or Hamilton. There is always the option of a private van tour. I don't know much about the Snorkel Park Beach but its right there in the Dockyard. Check out their website for more info. You'll have to do some extra research before your trip but in the long run it is time well spent.

I just love Bermuda and even after 2 trips there are areas that I'd still like to visit. Another nice thing about a Bermuda cruise is being docked overnight,

DisneyKidsDad-I think Bermuda is one of the easier ports to get around for a wheelchair user. We're also cruising on Liberty next year for my mom's 80th b-day.

First thing I would do is look at the excursions that are being offered through the ship this season and communicate with The Accessibility Dept. regarding those. You can also visit the Ports board to see what others recommend. Bermuda has a nice ferry system and most of them are accessible especially if traveling to St. George or Hamilton. There is always the option of a private van tour. I don't know much about the Snorkel Park Beach but its right there in the Dockyard. Check out their website for more info. You'll have to do some extra research before your trip but in the long run it is time well spent.

I just love Bermuda and even after 2 trips there are areas that I'd still like to visit. Another nice thing about a Bermuda cruise is being docked overnight,

Thanks alot. That's just the kind of information I was hoping for. We are just in the thinking about vacation mode right now and this is one of the options. I also need to find out what their service dog policy is. I do alot of research before any trip. With my daughter in a wheelchair and her service dog, I don't have much of a choice.

Thanks alot. That's just the kind of information I was hoping for. We are just in the thinking about vacation mode right now and this is one of the options. I also need to find out what their service dog policy is. I do alot of research before any trip. With my daughter in a wheelchair and her service dog, I don't have much of a choice.

You're welcome!