Suggestions for being in port 7a-2p

eyern1

We've never been to PR. I've looked through 7 pages of this thread and have seen very little info on what to do. Pretty much seems to be between walking around OSJ or going to El Yunque. Am I missing something or is that pretty much it? I know about the Bacardi Factory and The Coach factory but am uninterested in both. Usually there are tour operators that are recommended for Island tours. I am guessing that due to the island's size and population that this is kind of undoable here since I have seen ZERO tours or operators recommended. At least it will be cheap to walk around OSJ. Does it cost to get in any of the forts? I'm interested in that but my wife isn't. I've got to figure something out pretty quick since we leave Saturday and only booked this cruise 5 days ago. Thanks.

We have visited San Juan/Puerto Rico several times. The forts and OSJ (Old San Juan) are definately worht visiting. Take the free trolley between the forts. Pay for both forts and you get a disccount. The outside walls of the city are neat to see. You can do this by heading left once you get off of the ship. The old city is fun to walk around. Please wear comfortable shoes as the blue cobblestone streets can be rough on your feet. The parks and little restaurnants are fun.

We have had fun poking around the shops. There are some interesting jewelry ones (not Diamond stores like on other islands) and a few fun cigar shops (we don't smoke but found them super interesting). We also found a neat hat store.

With your short port time there isn't really time for more of a tour. Just visit OSJ and the two forts are only $5 so even if you visit for just a short time it is very worth it. You could do it on Segways which we found fabulous.

Not exactly interested in food walking tours. The trolley, forts and walking around looking sounds like what we'll end up with unless we learn of something else. Sounds like an inexpensive day at least. Interesting that there's no "must see" on an island that large.

Hi All,

My wife and I just booked this trip tonight! Was finally given permission to take some time off work . Aren't unlimited vacation days awesome? :rolleyes: My Wife and I live in Northern Virginia. We have booked two cruises in the past with NCL. If there is a roll call please add myself Adam and my wife Tracy!

Looking forward to cruising!

Adam

I love that the OP asked this question because I've been asking myself the same question.

With regard to the Segway tour does anyone have a good company to recommend? And can I reserve ahead of time but cancel prior (with plenty of notice) if our port changes before departure without fees? Any information would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi All,

My wife and I just booked this trip tonight! Was finally given permission to take some time off work . Aren't unlimited vacation days awesome? :rolleyes: My Wife and I live in Northern Virginia. We have booked two cruises in the past with NCL. If there is a roll call please add myself Adam and my wife Tracy!

Looking forward to cruising!

Adam

If you want to be added to a Roll Call find your date on this link for NCL.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=405

Are there any shops in Old San Juan to get authentic items make in Puerto Rico?

There are plenty of shops in OSJ up & down the side streets and on the main streets. There is also a Visitor Center right on the Waterfront that can help you and give you the names of specific stores for authentic merchandise.

We did the evening tour, but this company offers several other types of walking tours as well. They come highly recommended (even by CC). We enjoyed walking around and finding out what the different buildings were (i.e. the pretty pastel building that used to be a jail) and hearing stories about the history of the island. Not boring at all. We didn't go into the forts on our night tour, but we did them the next day on our own. We are not war history buffs, but the forts were very interesting and the views were awesome.

We really enjoyed walking around, doing the forts, poking into stores, stopping by the open air markets.

With regard to the Segway tour does anyone have a good company to recommend? And can I reserve ahead of time but cancel prior (with plenty of notice) if our port changes before departure without fees? Any information would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the company we used. The tour was really fun and you can see so much more in the same amount of time. They were easy to learn to use.

http://www.segwaytourspr.com/

You would have to check their site (or contact them) to find out about their cancellation policy. Most operators refund if the ship doesn't dock.

What type of souvenirs from Puerto Rico are you looking to purchase? I collect Christmas decorations from destinations we have visited. There is a great store in OSJ that sells Puerto Rican masks for the Christmas tree. These are made by an artist from Ponce.

What type of souvenirs from Puerto Rico are you looking to purchase? I collect Christmas decorations from destinations we have visited. There is a great store in OSJ that sells Puerto Rican masks for the Christmas tree. These are made by an artist from Ponce.

That sounds interesting. Do you remember the name and/or location of this store?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi :) I've been looking at the Flavors of San Juan Food Tour but it goes 10-1 and ship leaves at 2. Not sure that allows us enough time to get back on, don't they usually ask everyone to be on board one hour early? The other thing I'm not sure about is local time vs. ship time. But, anyways, the tour looks awesome and gets great reviews. Sightseeing with food stops, its a win-win:D

Most first time visitors will go either to OSJ, which offers the history and culture of the island, or to the rainforest.

It depends upon what your interests are.

OSJ is a wonderful place to spend the day. It is very easy to walk around, the architecture is beautiful, the forts are very interesting and absorbing the culture around you is wonderful.

There is also a free trolley that will traverse the OSJ area.

There are lots of restaurants and small shops interspersed among the street.

The streets are very narrow with buildings 2-3 stories high on each side. Many of these have flowers and plants trailing down the sides of the buildings and there are many parks and interesting alcoves along the way.

We have been to San Juan 5 times and will be there again in September. We just love the ambiance of the OSJ area.

We also have been to El Yunque a couple of times and are doing a morning hike when we go this fall.

I know you won't be there in the evening, but if you ever embark for a cruise in San Juan and are able to spend a day or two there before or after your cruise, book a trip to Bio-luminescent Bay. There are only 3 of these areas in the world and it's a really cool experience.

And... just to keep in mind... there is a guy in OSJ that walks the streets perpetuating a con on unsuspecting tourists. He will walk up to you and ask if you speak English. Once you say yes, he then tells a story of how he and his dad were mugged the night before, and his dad is now in the hospital. He wants $6 for a taxi to get to the hospital. If you say to him, "I know you from Cruise Critic!" He takes off really fast.

Have fun with whatever you decide to do!