Traveling with a baby

MzChris87

We are traveling with our baby girl (18months) this July 27th on the dream out of New Orleans. We are flying in one day early for comfortability. Any tips on making this trip easy with our energetic toddler?

I am in the same boat as you...(sounds so corny when literally talking about a cruise)...lol

Anyhow, next month, I will be cruising with our almost 2 year old...and This is a version of my packing list for Jake:

*I have purchased an inflatable bathtub http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13239896&cp=2255957.2273443.4392756.2256088.2256094&parentPage=family to bathe him in...and these fit nicely in the shower. Also, I will take this up to the pool area and let him splash in this, right at our lounge chairs, while big brothers slide on the slide and swim. (since diaper wearing children are not allowed in the pools).

*I will have some of his favorite tv shows (like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Curious George) downloaded and saved to a memory card, that I can pop in the tablet and let him watch when we are desperate. That way I don't have to stream it, using data.

*Always bring way more diapers and wipes than you think you'll need. (you never know when "tummy issues" will strike, and you don't want to run out). And don't forget swim diapers! Even though they won't be in the "pool", if you'll be in the ocean at all, you'll need them.

*We bought a collapsable and lightweight, but still lots of functions, stroller. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AHPZXZU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZDGC8Q39XWY5&coliid=IOMUCNPMA9EQY&psc=1 ...it folds up like an umbrella stroller (very compact), yet has the bells and whistles and functions of a full sized stroller.

*Rash Cream

*Ziploc or Tie Baggies (for DIRTY diapers)

*Sippy Cups (or bottles) GALORE!!

*Small spoons and Forks (if already eating independently)

*Sand Bucket and Toys (for beach trips)

*Life Jacket (for beach trips)

*Leash (I am so serious....after four children, I NEVER thought I would own one...but I HAD to buy one this time around...Jake is just TOO independent and always wants to walk on his own) We bought this one http://www.amazon.com/Carters-Child-Harness-Buddy-Monkey/dp/B00DC3A1FG/ref=sr_1_16?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1402493542&sr=1-16&keywords=toddler+leash

*Toys

*Any special stuffed animals or loveys they need

*LOTS of pacifiers if used

*Sunscreen

*Bug Spray

*Baby Shampoo/Body Wash

*Baby Toothpaste and Toothbrush

*Birth Certificate or Passport

*We chose early dining, late dining would be just way too late for him to be content in the dining room.

*Cribs are available (usually). Just ask the room steward.

I am sure I will think of more...:)

Layla had a great list!

Our DD went on her first cruise for her 1st birthday. Literally - on the boat. We've done 2 more. She'll be 4 in Oct. We have a 14 day booked in March - yay! We're getting good at this.

*Edit - she's done 3 more. Not 2. Wow - I forgot about one!

Inflatable bathtub can also be taken to the pool area on Lido. You can let yours splash without fear of getting kicked out of the pool.

We found it to be great to let her explore the dance club, show lounge, etc in the day hours. She had a lot of fun. We walked around a lot all day.

We found milk no problem even after hours. We missed goldfish and crackers. They are kinda hard to find.

Ours LOVED the shows. She loved the lights and sound and dancers. You just never know if they will be scared or not if you've never done it.

We didn't have any motion sickness issues. Most kids (from what I hear) under 3 don't have any problems with it. I know I stressed the "what if" on the first one. We've had some rockin and rollin since the first one and she's (luckily) not bothered.

Motrin/Tylenol is a must. You just never know. Benedryl was another one I kept with us just in case she tried a new food and it didn't work well. LOL She's been eating seafood since 18 months, so we were ok there.

We did take diaper bags to save the room steward from the ick.

Movies, etc are great. Crayons and coloring book if that's your thing. You can buy them for crazy prices on the boat.

Invest in a sun shirt (long sleeve) before you go. When you get that sunburn and need it, you'll be willing to pay all of the $60 at the resort beach to get one. We ended up spending $68 at Atlantis last year - and we sun screened ourselves silly! It was LS shirt or no more sun for Princess though. :(

Dinner was FUNNNNN. She had a little of everything and didn't stick to the menu. We did rice, veggies, fruit, milk and wahtever meat or main I thought she'd like. She's not much for fries and nuggets (or wasn't until this summer - uggg) so it was always an adventure in the DR. LOL One night all she wanted was Avocado. and the wait staff brought? Yep - avocado, rice, veggies, fruit, milk and Strawberry soup!

Have a blast and live it all through toddler eyes! It's so much fun to see it from that perspective for the first time.

Edited by drenee73

Thank you so much guy. So far we have a lot of things already on your list but will definitely add things especially the leash. I was debating whether or not to get it but she's exploring her independence more than I could've imagined. If you all think of anything else don't hesitate to add. Thanks again