Anyone with young kids done the Turtle Cove Catamaran Sail & Snorkel in St Thomas

tray98

Hello,

I am looking to book this excursion through NCL. My son is 6 yrs old and not a strong swimmer - he will be wearing a life jacket. He wants to snorkel with the turtles. I am not even certain he will be comfortable getting in the ocean.

Honestly, it's a little out of my comfort zone too. I will do it for him, but I haven't snorkeled. Thinking we can try this together for the first time.

Is the boat easy to get in and out of? Looking for anyone who have taken younger kids for any tips or your experience. Thanks!

Edited by tray98

I haven’t done this particular trip but snorkeling with a 6 year who is not a strong swimmer doesn't sound like a great idea. Even with a life jacket you need to be comfortable in the water. You will swallow some water, waves will get salt water in behind your mask into your eyes etc.

Can you try snorkeling before you go on the trip? A pool or lake vs the ocean is a big difference but it will give you a bit of an idea of his comfort level.

I haven’t done this particular trip but snorkeling with a 6 year who is not a strong swimmer doesn't sound like a great idea. Even with a life jacket you need to be comfortable in the water. You will swallow some water, waves will get salt water in behind your mask into your eyes etc.

Can you try snorkeling before you go on the trip? A pool or lake vs the ocean is a big difference but it will give you a bit of an idea of his comfort level.

Yes, I totally agree with you and have my concerns. We will be trying in a pool this week. But was just looking for feedback.

I am pretty sure we are going to try snorkeling from the beach but was curious for any experiences

We took our 7 year old on the snorkel excursion in St. Thomas to Buck Island when were on the Gem in April. He was really excited about it but when we got out there and got in the water, he kind of panicked. He is a good swimmer, comfortable in the water, but the idea of being where he couldn't touch AT ALL, with the mask, snorkel, waves, salt water, etc was just a bit much. After he relaxed (only took a couple of minutes to be honest!), he loved it. It was hard though and he didn't do a very good job. LOL I spent more time pulling him around so he could see under the water than I did actually snorkeling. It was fun and I'm so glad we took him, but it wasn't the awesome, relaxing snorkeling trip I was hoping for! Between my little guy struggling to snorkel and my husband getting sea sick on the catamaran despite taking meds, it was quite a trip. We got to see several turtles though and for us, that's what was important.

Our guides were AWESOME though. The one that got in the water with us was so proud of Carson (my little guy) and told him so. He said it's not often that younger kids even TRY, so he did a great job. They were very accomodating with helping him get fins that fit, the mask, etc. They even gave him his own Painkillers without the Painkiller..HAHAHA He had non-alcoholic Painkillers = juice. He was very happy though.

After snorkeling at Buck Island we went to Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, which was great. We all really enjoyed our time there, just hanging out on the beach, relaxing in the calm cove there.

It was a lot of fun and again, I'm really glad we took him for the experience. Four years ago we took our then 10 yr old and he didn't enjoy it at all. A fish brushed against him and he was DONE!. LOL So he chose to spend the day with my parents that day. I promised my husband no more catamaran trips though. He can't handle the motion. In my opinion, I would try it. My little guy talks about it a lot and he'll tell you, it was hard and he was nervous, but it was fun and he wants to try it again someday.

We did the Powercat Snorkel & Beach tour by the way. We've also done the Castaway Snorkel 4 years ago.

We took our 7 year old on the snorkel excursion in St. Thomas to Buck Island when were on the Gem in April. He was really excited about it but when we got out there and got in the water, he kind of panicked. He is a good swimmer, comfortable in the water, but the idea of being where he couldn't touch AT ALL, with the mask, snorkel, waves, salt water, etc was just a bit much. After he relaxed (only took a couple of minutes to be honest!), he loved it. It was hard though and he didn't do a very good job. LOL I spent more time pulling him around so he could see under the water than I did actually snorkeling. It was fun and I'm so glad we took him, but it wasn't the awesome, relaxing snorkeling trip I was hoping for! Between my little guy struggling to snorkel and my husband getting sea sick on the catamaran despite taking meds, it was quite a trip. We got to see several turtles though and for us, that's what was important.

Our guides were AWESOME though. The one that got in the water with us was so proud of Carson (my little guy) and told him so. He said it's not often that younger kids even TRY, so he did a great job. They were very accomodating with helping him get fins that fit, the mask, etc. They even gave him his own Painkillers without the Painkiller..HAHAHA He had non-alcoholic Painkillers = juice. He was very happy though.

After snorkeling at Buck Island we went to Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, which was great. We all really enjoyed our time there, just hanging out on the beach, relaxing in the calm cove there.

It was a lot of fun and again, I'm really glad we took him for the experience. Four years ago we took our then 10 yr old and he didn't enjoy it at all. A fish brushed against him and he was DONE!. LOL So he chose to spend the day with my parents that day. I promised my husband no more catamaran trips though. He can't handle the motion. In my opinion, I would try it. My little guy talks about it a lot and he'll tell you, it was hard and he was nervous, but it was fun and he wants to try it again someday.

We did the Powercat Snorkel & Beach tour by the way. We've also done the Castaway Snorkel 4 years ago.

Thanks for the feedback. I think we will skip it this trip, knowing my son is not too adventurous. We have a 2yr old aswell and we would need to split the family up that day if we decided to do the snorkel tour.

Thanks for the feedback. I think we will skip it this trip, knowing my son is not too adventurous. We have a 2yr old aswell and we would need to split the family up that day if we decided to do the snorkel tour.

Something you and your children might enjoy for St Thomas is going to Coral World and Coki Beach. They are right next to each other ... share same parking lot. Here is link for Coral World - - looks like the 2 year old would be free since children pricing is from 3 to 21.

http://coralworldvi.com/exhibits/

They have a turtle exhibit as well as many other excellent exhibits.

493be3b6-0e0e-464f-8693-80bced5b0b5c_zpsf9614403.jpg

You don't have to do a ship excursion - it is only about 2 block walk to the taxi area and they are inexpensive. You don't need to worry about scheduling return taxi trip - readily available at Coral World.

Coki Beach is gorgeous and the water would be perfect for the kids (and adults) to play in. People do snorkel from shore there so that is also an option.

Scenery is amazing

ca76e80d-1f7c-46d9-994d-57b621c92fd6_zpsc7a3b156.jpg

Sand is perfect for castle building

3252e24f-51c1-4552-9c20-be5a48394489_zps3383a5e4.jpg

Start of Coki Beach closest to Coral World (very very close).

89a3ab7a-8dd0-4b60-aa1f-84631735b445_zpsaf5f8cd2.jpg

Far end of Coki (not far because this is a small beach) where we spent a couple hours just relaxing, playing in the water and people watching

e90d6518-59c3-439e-afb7-342a6450e77e_zps54063276.jpg

We're in our mid 60's and had a laid back relaxing day. I remember thinking how much our kids would have enjoyed it when they were little.

Something you and your children might enjoy for St Thomas is going to Coral World and Coki Beach. They are right next to each other ... share same parking lot. Here is link for Coral World - - looks like the 2 year old would be free since children pricing is from 3 to 21.

Thank you. I was looking at Coki and I think this is exactly what we will do.

Just one question, do you feel safe at this beach? Were there a lot of locals?

Thank you. I was looking at Coki and I think this is exactly what we will do.

Just one question, do you feel safe at this beach? Were there a lot of locals?

Absolutely safe. Coki Beach with adjacent Coral World are very popular tourist attractions.

Here is a more close up photo of Coki Beach closest to Coral World

bd3c6a8f-1983-4fcf-b617-a19c4f1e6b56_zps191761cb.jpg

Here is another photo taken as we were walking towards the other end of Coki Beach. My husband is the barefoot guy standing in the water carrying his shoes posing for the picture.

941daebc-9749-495a-9874-371dfa3345e4_zpsec7bfb75.jpg

At Coral World be sure to go into the bird enclosure and feed the Lorikeets - they are beautiful and it was fun. No extra charge and I think the kids (and you) would enjoy it.

1d937bdb-ebd0-42e4-9669-8d5fcb20eaa2_zpsfb44b58a.jpg

DSC01742_zps37eff1fd.jpg

I am glad to learn that you have changed your mind about this excursion. The ladder on the catamaran does not reach the water. It is very difficult to get back up from the water. A man had to help me, and it was not fun. I did enjoy the turtles, but......